{'en': '5 situations that every person with diabetes has lived at Christmas', 'es': '5 situaciones que toda persona con diabetes ha vivido en la Navidad'} Image

5 situations that every person with diabetes has lived at Christmas

fer's profile photo   12/15/2016 9:18 a.m.

With so many holidays, reunions and food, it is complicated that a person with diabetes does not go through difficult situations at Christmas.

But do not be distressed, there is no reason for you to stop enjoying this beautiful time of the year for your condition.To help you, we chat with Mr. Cristina Muñoz Alonso, nutritionist of the Puerto Rican Association of Diabetes, who explained how you can cope with these retail situations during the holidays.

1. When they receive you with a table full of seductive desserts

The main recommendation for people with diabetes is to try to avoid Christmas desserts.

"But, if you love sweets, when you are going to serve your main dish of food, do it only with salad and protein, without carbohydrates, so that you can then give yourself the taste of dessert," said Ms. Muñoz Alonso.

2. When because of the Christmas breeze you fall asleep and forget to eat

When we are on Christmas holidays, we take the opportunity to rest as long as possible.But be careful, if you have diabetes, you must be up to date with your meals.

"One of the things we recommend not to break with the routine of meals and snacks is to put an alarm on the cell phone," said the nutritionist.

3. When you love the black pudding, that typical Boricua Christmas dish

This is a common food in the Christmas menu.But is it safe to consume if you have diabetes?Well, Mr. Muñoz Alonso said yes, but in moderation, because it contains rice, which in turn is high in carbohydrates.People with this condition can only consume two to three portions of carbohydrates per plate of food.

“You have to subtract it from the carbohydrates from your diet.It can only ingest two pieces of 2 ounces - this is equal to 15 grams of carbohydrates - a complete portion for a person with diabetes, ”he said.

4. When I quench the salad because you do not love it

One of the diabetes complications can be cardiovascular conditions.Unfortunately, Christmas's heart and fat are not good friends.This is why you should avoid high fat dress in your salads.

“You have to change the Caesar for Italian or Balsamic.They can also use olive and vinegar oil for salads, ”said the nutritionist.

5. When you love the lethane but you should not let go

It is important that, before going to a party, you have won at home."So you will not arrive with such hunger and you will not want to eat everything they have at the table," said Ms. Muñoz Alonso.

If you know you'll go to a party, plan!Know what you should eat and, most importantly, eat food in moderation.If you ate dessert today, you don't do it tomorrow;If you chose rice with gandules at this party, try another carbohydrate in the next.When planning and monitoring your meals, you can enjoy a new food at each party, eating everything.

Enjoy Christmas without inhibiting, but always consult with your nutritionist and your endocrinologist about the diet and medical regime that you must continue to continue trauling with your type 2 diabetes under control.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/15/2016 9:18 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello!
This is my first Christmas with 2 'official' diabetes and is difficult to carry.In my family, with their best intention, they believe that everything consists of not taking sugar and insists that you eat sweets without sugar, after more than abundant meals.I count hydrates and fats and put my eyes like Uncle Gilito.
I get uphill to sit at a table full of cheeses, pate toast, empanada and not a drop of green.If at least there was salad.
What do you do the rest in these cases?In my case it is not one day, Christmas went away from home, so that in the end there are almost three week.

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
01/04/2017 8:09 a.m.

Diabetes 1 LADA desde enero 2018
Antes mal diagnosticada como Tipo 2
Toujeo y Humalog Junior
A1c: 6.0

I think that endocrine should prescribe fast insulin so that type 2 could be a taste from time to time ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/04/2017 12:41 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Do not overwhelm and eat everything without depriving you but in moderation (I do not tell you that you eat a whole nougat, but a couple of ounces).And if you need you click faster what I do and voila.

Do not get obsessed with having a control at 100. It may be worth having 140, 150 or 200 while you are happy and feel good.

Narciso's profile photo
Narciso
01/08/2017 11:24 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You do not obsess but it is better to have values ​​close to Normaglycemia.I have seen smiling, being happy and giving equal to a patient with type 2 diabetes or I think he had values ​​of 350 and commented as an anecdote.I have also heard others say that with 150 they worried until the obsession about the possible consequences of Trenerlo so high.

samozeus's profile photo
samozeus
01/09/2017 3:13 p.m.

DM1 desde el 81 antes de naranjito.
Con bomba desde 2012
Minimed Veo parading
Minimed 640g desde 06/2015
Minimed 640g desde 19/03/2016 la 2a
Minimed 780g desde el 23/03/2021
Hemoglobina 12/01/2021->6.1
28/07/2021-> 6.4

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.