{'en': 'Diabetes mellitus, knowing my disease can improve evolution', 'es': 'Diabetes Mellitus, conocer mi enfermedad puede mejorar la evolución'} Image

Diabetes mellitus, knowing my disease can improve evolution

fer's profile photo   12/13/2016 10:59 a.m.

According to the Pan American Health Organization, education is a fundamental part of the treatment of diabetes.

Lic. Federico Peralta*
MN: 12024, MP: 1405

According to the Pan American Health Organization in Latin America there are approximately 15 million people with diabetes mellitus and this figure will reach 20 million in 10 years, value higher than expected by the population increase.The factors that apparently influence this increase are the breed, the change of life habits and the aging of the population.

A fact that is interesting to take into account is the prevalence of this pathology in the different areas.It has been reported that the percentage of people with diabetes in urban areas ranges between 7 and 8%, while in rural areas this percentage is only 1 or 2%.

Diabetes mellitus, like many other diseases, is usually diagnosed late.It is very common that when a person reaches their diagnosis, certain complications that are called late are already in process.From the moment of diagnosis, visual alterations are presented in 20% of people, the renal exceed this percentage by some points (23%) and the ones that are most presented, between 25 and 40% are neuropathies.

This last case is what the "diabetic foot" will generate.It is an alteration in the circulation of the feet that leads to sensitivity disorders, great infectious potential and in its most extreme cases it can lead to the amputation of the part of the extremities.

The literature on the benefits of physical exercise in the general population and in different groups with pathology is inexhaustible.Benefits have been described from the decrease in blood pressure, to the prevention of different types of cancer through physical exercise.

It is important to know what characteristics the physical exercise should have to generate the benefits that literature has reported.Since depending on the type of exercise will be the adaptations that our body will have to make and consequently the benefits for those who perform it.

What is the role of education in the treatment of diabetes?

Like all chronic disease (that is, it has no cure, if treatment) that the person knows of their illness is essential, since it will generally detect any possible alteration and can more effectively control their treatment.

WHO based on many scientific studies, has put the person's education with diabetes as one of the undisputed standards of treatment.

The health team that is in charge of the treatment of the person with diabetes must educate to prevent the short and long term complications of this pathology.

What is the role of physical exercise in the treatment of diabetes?

There are no number of studies on the properties of physical exercise in people with diabetes.It has proven effective to control blood glucose levels, regulate blood pressure (commonly called blood pressure) and generate healthy lifestyle habits.Being the latter fundamental pillar to limit the progress of the disease.

Physical exercise is considered to all planned, structured and repetitive activity.This definition is very important since it is telling us that "going to work walking" is not considered physical exercise.If it meets a fundamental role in relation to healthy habits, but we cannot pretend the aforementioned benefits with an activity that is not planned, structured and has a certain frequency.

The recommendations of the Pan American Health Organization regarding physical exercise are the following: in the short term the objective of physical exercise mustbe changing the sedentary habit, by daily walks to the rhythm of the person.In the medium term, the minimum frequency of exercise must be three times per week in alternate days, with a minimum duration of 30 minutes each time.Finally, in the long term, an increase in frequency and intensity should be sought.On the other hand, emphasis should be placed on the review of the feet before each physical activity and after it.As stated before, the alteration of the sensitivity of the feet generates a probable scenario of injury.

It is important to note that, with the exception of the first stage, it is essential that the training be supervised and programmed by a health professional trained in the area.

*Degree in Kinesiology and Physiatry UBA oriented to neurological rehabilitation and vestibular and balance disorders;UBA Teacher, researcher and head of Círic Training Permanent.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/13/2016 10:59 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

He says that going to work is not physical exercise?, if it meets all conditions.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/18/2016 3:17 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Yes, @"regina", if you walk for a while, of course it is physical exercise :-) I think there is too much dogma between science, and very little understanding and listening to real people and the daily reality in which we live.

From that point of view that the article comments, I have never done physical exercise, because I do not plan almost anything, because my structures are not clearly visible from the outside (and because even for myself they are very complex, and the mind cannotUnderstand), because I carry them inside and because I do things when I can and how I can.Of course, I have run, I have swam, I have sown and harvested my vegetables, I have been an arbritor of basketball, I have skated (routes, dance, jumps ...), I have walked through the mountain ... but all that is not considered exercisePhysical because the way I have done it does not conform to the superrefinition of the previous article:-P now, unfortunately for me, I cannot do all that, and I just go up and low stairs, I walk and go by bike to work and do to doThe purchase, I juggle once from time to time at home ... (no, juggling of cleaning a house I have not told them, although that is also a physical exercise ...).That, that the article also does not consider doing physical exercise, for me it is.

And, of course, in this society in which we live (which I have criticized so many times in other threads, yes) that burns trees and then filling the mouth of re-plants (that is, in this society that causes several diseases byDifficult listening, self -scucha and human relationships, since it forces organic rhythms based on artificial lights and hyperstimulus, time changes to increase productivity, turntified schedules that dizzy the organism, schedules and stressful working conditions, etc.) thisIt is what there is: an pile of generalist, tangled, dogmatic and maintenance of the established system.
He comes to mind when writing this an image that I saw years ago of some mécanic stairs with people who climbed into the gym ... to do "planned physical exercise" :-( (look, I have found it, there it goes)

Anyway, that sometimes we are so hyperperfectionists-categorizers and mental-dimmatic human tozzers, that we want to adjust the life of mental boxes-signs established in a mental super llabor.

(By the way, all this, without any encouragement to criticize the interesting information that many times @"fer" shares. And without ignoring that there are many flowers between the intricate and confusing and dizzy entanglement of information that we receive daily. We just have tohave patience and filter.

A hug

imara's profile photo
imara
12/19/2016 12:47 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@"Imara" and @"Regina" as in so many other things in this life, for tastes, colors! ...: D: D: D: D: D: D: D

Here is another topic, about doing "sport", walking fast or running!;)

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
12/19/2016 12:51 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

fer said:
@"iMara" and @"regina" as in so many other things in this life, for tastes, colors! ...: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D:

Link

Thank you ;-) @"fer"

But precisely that "for tastes colors" is what is not part of the scientific method.And what rebels me is the incoherence between the speech of many scientists and their very scientific performance (there are articles out there that show what I mean: sensationalism).A good scientific work must recognize its limits, and not encourage sensationalist discourse that "with this is all resolved and understood, and we already have the solution for everyone."This speech has nothing of a scientist, and yes of false, ambiguous information giver and guilt enhancer and false hopes in many people.

imara's profile photo
imara
12/19/2016 12:56 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Understood now @"iMara" and agree with you !!;)

fer's profile photo
fer
12/19/2016 12:58 p.m.

Well, we will continue walking ..>: D <

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/19/2016 8:34 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.