{'en': 'Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (RDP)', 'es': 'Retinopatía Diabética Proliferativa (RDP)'} Image

Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy (RDP)

Arcadio's profile photo   12/25/2016 7:44 p.m.

Hello.

I would like to know the experience of other people about photocoagulation (FC) by RDP.

I expose my case:

Male, 39, 28 -year -old DMID of evolution.RDP in treatment in both eyes with FC for 6 months.The last session was 12/13/2016.Since that last session I have noticed loss of visual acuity in the treated eye.I don't know if it's temporary or not.

How has it gone to you?

Arcadio's profile photo
Arcadio
12/25/2016 7:44 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Although you ask personal experiences of patients with RDP and I do not have it, I dare to expose my experience, which is very extensive in this pathology, although, it has been acquired from the other side
In the first place I have to say that there is no alternative to the Panretinophotocoagulation (PRFC) in the RDP.Any other type of treatment will lead to absolutely disastrous situations.When a retina runs out of oxygen, it is not only functionally finished, but it is a true watchmaking pump because it is certain that it will form neovosses (proliferation), to bleed, and will bleed again to form a fibrous, retractable tissue, which will end bydetach the retina.The objective of treatment is, therefore, to eliminate ischemic retina, not only to avoid its consequences, but so that all oxygen that reaches the retinal tissue is available to the macular area that is not susceptible to photocoagular.Thus, if the macular area is affected, it can be maintained without deteriorating excessively thanks to oxygen that photoreceptors no longer have to consume because they have been eliminated by photocoagulation, and of course, controlling the disease as strictly as possible.Without adequate HB, everything is much more difficult and precarious.Of course there are intravitrey injections of Antivegf, but these do not modify the scenario more than temporarily, do not solve the problem.
As for that you have noticed, a decrease in vision after the last laser session, it can be due to the aggressiveness of the photocoagulation, which causes a retinal trauma inherent in the treatment itself and that is usually transitory.In any case, this treatment does not seek to influence visual quality, in fact the elimination of the visual field leaves sequelae with which you have to live together, but they are totally assumed if we think that the alternative is blindness.The purpose of the PRFC is to maintain the maximum possible vision
My experience with the sick that I have panfotocoagulated is very positive;The last series I reviewed had almost 40 patients whose treatment had been performed between 10 and 20 years ago and the vast majority retained the same vision obtained at the end of the treatment.It is an internationally accepted treatment as the only one possible in case of RDP, and that cannot be considered complete until the entire retina, except the macular area, is treated.
I hope I contributed to clear your doubts.Good luck

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
12/26/2016 6 p.m.

Thank you so much.Very kind.

Arcadio's profile photo
Arcadio
12/28/2016 4:58 p.m.

Thank you very much for this information.It is just what I was needing to know !!

Silvina Ana's profile photo
Silvina Ana
09/10/2018 1:03 p.m.

Hello if it serves you something I also have advanced proliferative retinopathy.The first thing is to maintain a glycosylated hemoglobin below 7 because but by far laser the disease progresses.I will tell you that I am operated on the Victreotomy of both photocoagulated eyes and with pantofocoagulation and although I lost the vision of the right due to a retinal detachment, from the left eye I see very well and the retinopathy stopped and stable since 2007 leading a normal life and astrict control of the diabetes.
All the best

Jess's profile photo
Jess
09/10/2018 4:57 p.m.

Well, I also have retinopathy (I don't know whether or not advanced).My diagnosis came almost from the hand of my diabetes, back in 2015.

I have the left eye operated, not yet the right today.Millions of lasers, several punctures and I hope they take off cataracts that have developed for the treatment.

The vision is fluctuating but there I take it.And I don't stop making normal life, obviously.

pike's profile photo
pike
09/16/2018 10:16 a.m.

DM1 desde 2015-Novorapid 2/2/2/2-Toujeo(en proceso)-Mañana
Glucosilada 4/2017: 7,2

I am 39 years old, diabetes since the 3, and retinopathy for about 10. Glymic control, of course, and with respect to loss of vision, I have noticed much sensitivity to light changes, over time, over timeIt is normalized.Especially take care of yourself.

Gloria González Blanco's profile photo
Gloria González Blanco
04/02/2019 7:36 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.