{'en': 'Obesity and diabetes cause a million new cancers a year in the world', 'es': 'La obesidad y la diabetes provocan un millón de nuevos cánceres al año en el mundo'} Image

Obesity and diabetes cause a million new cancers a year in the world

fer's profile photo   11/30/2017 9:35 a.m.

Diabetes, obesity and overweight cause about one million new cases of cancer a year throughout the planet and have managed to unseat tobacco as the main risk factor.

According to a study led by Imperial College in London and publishes The Lancet Diabetes Endocronology, having a high body mass index and being diabetic, two metabolic diseases related to lifestyle, only in 2012 they were behind 6% of cancersDiagnosed throughout the planet, this is 800,000 new cases.

To reach this conclusion, the researchers analyzed the data for 12 types of cancer in 175 countries in 2012 and combined them with high body mass index statistics- overweight and obesity- and diabetes;They also took into account age and gender of patients.

Among the main results to which they have come, it emphasizes that obesity and combined diabetes are behind 25% of liver tumors and about 30% of those of uterus.

They have seen that the overweight is behind the double of cancers that diabetes: 3.9% of all cases is attributable to a high body mass index, compared to 2% linked to diabetes.

The overweight is behind the double of cancers than diabetes.

Women leave worse stops in this study: almost twice women suffer the effect of the two risk factors- overweight and combined diabetes;The type of cancer they suffer most is breast, which represents 30% of cases.Instead, men suffer above all from liver cancer, with 42.8% of cases.

Overweight and obesity is one of the main health risk factors

Four out of 10 new cases of cancer occur in developed countries, although developing countries are those that have experienced a higher increase in oncological prevalence between 1980 and 2022. In Western regions breast cancer was the most common relatedwith obesity and diabetes and supposed 23.8% of all cases attributable to these two risk factors.On the other hand, in Southeast Asia, for example, about 54% of all cancers associated with these two metabolic diseases was the liver.

Almost double females suffer the effect of the two risk factors- overweight and diabetes- combined;The type of cancer they suffer most is breast, which represents 30% of cases.

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the number of people with diabetes has increased from 108 million throughout the planet to more than 400 million in 2014. With regard to obesity and overweight, the figures are even less flattering:Only last year there were 1900 million overweight people in the world, of which 650 million were obese.In this sense, Spain is the second country in Europe with more obese, one in four Spaniards is overweight or is obese.A high body mass index is related to pancreatic cancer, kidney, liver, uterus, breast and ovary, among others.

And the forecasts estimate that these numbers will remain upwards, so researchers warn that cancer cases attributable to these risk factors will shoot 30% in women and 20% in men by 2035.

Diabetes, an upward risk factor

For years it is known that there is a relationship between obesity and overweight, and cancer.On the other hand, the association between tumor development and diabetes is relatively recent."Our study shows that diabetes, alone or in combination with obesity, is responsible for hundreds of thousands of cancer cases a year throughout the planet," says Jonathan Pearson-Stuttard, a researcher of the ImperialCollege of London and main author of this study.

Most new cases of diabetes are of type 2, linked to the stylelife.

However, the relationship between diabetes and cancer is still a mystery.Researchers point out that it could be due to high levels of insulin or glucose, chronic inflammation or hormonal disruption that the disease entails.

Scientists have observed that one in four new cases of cancer in 2012 were due to the increase in the prevalence of diabetes between 1980 and 2002, compared to 30% caused by obesity and overweight.Diabetes is associated with colorectal, pancreas, liver, breast and uterus cancer.

Most cases of diabetes are of type 2, closely linked to a poor diet, a lack of physical activity and excess weight.And diabetes is related to cases of colorectal cancer, liver, pancreas, breast and uterus.It is not that diabetes itself causes cancer, but increases the risk of certain tumors.

Food -rich food is a risk factor for obesity and some types of cancer.

Given these data, researchers claim that it is urgent that public health policies are launched that identify effective prevention, control and review measures.Also that campaigns are carried out to promote the consumption of healthy foods, reduce the intake of junk food, and encourage an active lifestyle.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/30/2017 9:35 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

We are not carrying enough ballots, what I lacked diabetes favors cancer.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
11/30/2017 10:02 a.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

What increases the risk of cancer is poor diet and that also causes obesity and diabetes.A diabetic that is well controlled and healthy coma, does sports, etc. I do not think it has more chance of having cancer than a non -diabetic with similar life habits.In this case he is talking about type 2 that develop the disease due to bad habits.In the end, obesity and type 2 diabetes are both consequence of the poor diet that makes you resistant to insulin, which makes you fat, overloading the pancreas and makes it not produce enough insulin over time and diabetes appears.In the end the cause is the same for most current diseases, ultraprocess, sugars and other shit.
@"JCONEGAR" In your case I would not worry, I doubt that someone athlete like you, who has good control of diabetes and that I suppose that eats healthy has more risk than another with your same habits but without diabetes.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
11/30/2017 1:29 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

There are actually many studies that link type 1 diabetes and cancer.These studies that are useless (because you cannot stop being diabetic type1) love to make scientists.You only put "type 1 diabetes and cancer" in Google and almost every year there is a different study that "discovers it."

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
11/30/2017 2:07 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

@"Sherpa41" I have already seen it but of those that I have found do not contribute much, they only see that there are more cases of some cancers between type 1 diabetics than in non -diabetics but without looking beyond.They do not look at the control that these diabetics or life habits or anything were carried.They are observational studies, which are not useful because there is a relationship between two things does not mean that one is the cause of the other.An example that always puts it to understand it, there is a relationship between ice cream consumption and the number of drowning.Does that mean that ice cream consumption increases the risk of drowning?Well, not, it is that in summer people consume more ice cream and also go to pools and beaches.There is a relationship between the two but none is the cause of the other.
The consumption of sugar does increase the risk (that has been seen in intervention studies that are reliable), and although we do not consume it, we do have the highest blood glucose levels normally and that helps to believe thecancer cells.But the risk I do not think it is or similar to someone who remains at blood glucose levels almost non -diabetic who is in 200 on average.What should be done to see if it is really diabetes that increases the risk is to take a group half diabetics type 1 with excellent control of the disease (we have non -diabetic) and the other half non -diabetic with life habitssimilar and see if there is more cancer incidence in the diabetic group.In that case if it could be demonstrated but I have not seen any such study.
In the end because surely more risk we have because it is very difficult to be at levels of non -diabetic blood glucose all the time but I suppose there will be more risk the worst control is control.
And I am already my personal opinion that I do not know if it comes to mind, I think the problem is that they make us believe that a hem between 6 and 7 is a good control and I am not at all agree with that.It is an acceptable control but that in the long run can bring you complications.A good control is to be below 6 and excellent below 5.5 or 5.6 that is from where they consider that you are diabetic.It is very difficult to get those we have but they should not lie to us saying that with 6 and peak or 7 we are very well controlled because it is not true and with those we have risks even if they are not very high.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
11/30/2017 2:59 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.