Insulin absorption failure with different Catheters of Medtronic.

DiabetesForo's profile photo   01/02/2017 10:01 p.m.

Good night.I have a 15 -year -old daughter who uses Medtronic Pump (640g) for more than a year.Since they gave us the bomb we have had several catheters since from the beginning we have many problems with the catheters.The first one we used was the quick set of 6 and 9mm, neither of the two came to work well since either the cannulas were bent or insulin was not absorbed well (never failure of infusion), with the consequent increases of glucose.Then they sent us the 14 mm silhuette (oblique), this worked a little better, but they failed a lot for what they gave me the 17 mm silhuette, with the latter it is with the best results we have had, but we have not reached what whatI expected.With the latter we have between 25 and 35 % of failures (remember that this is better).Always after changing to a new catheter there is high glucose in the following two hours (over 200).Other catheters, do not absorb insulin well, and when the Quito are not folded by the tips and the pump does not give infusion failure.The truth is that we are very discouraged and about to leave the pump and return to the before.I would like to know if all the bomb users that are here, have had problems like us with the catheters.I have to say that my daughter is filling (not obese).Thanks for your attention.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
01/02/2017 10:01 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Medtronic your system is the worst.If it is the hegemonic for interest.But at all the best.

hoyos9's profile photo
hoyos9
01/02/2017 10:37 p.m.

No. My child has been since 2 years and now has 7 and we have problems but not like yours, the very thin and do not last more than two and a half days but when putting it on is when they go best.I would try in other insertion areas such as buttocks or back of the back ... I can't think of anything else.

Papajesus1's profile photo
Papajesus1
01/02/2017 11:09 p.m.

Padre de Jesús. Bomba insulina y dexcom g4 share. Debut con 18 meses....ya con 7 añitos...Hemo entorno a 7....y mucha lucha diaria.....ya sabéis..poco dormir y bastantes miedos....pero mi niño es feliz luego yo también.

My son at the beginning had many problems with those of 9mm.He is very thin and they were acodu, now with the 6 best, although up often has often and that I think that of the meals should not be because we make them heavy and controlling the rations, but if he eats out of home, that day that dayAlready bad all day and night.A mess.

pco's profile photo
pco
01/03/2017 4:38 a.m.

Good afternoon.
Something similar happens to me, I have been with DM1 for 22 years and with the Medtronics bomb since May, I use the 6 mm catheters and they fail very much, at first I put them in the abdomen, I thought the failures came because it would have hyperlipodystrophies orSomething like that seemed reasonable after 20 years injecting into the gut.I started using the buttocks and back, at first, although in my back it is annoying to drive in my case, but they begin to fail again, the last time, three followed in the buttocks that gave error, now I have begun to put them inThe leg that is an area that until now has not seen insulin but the absorption is sometimes a bit erratic and it costs me much more to control the glucose.Those of Medtronic have recommended that I speak with the endocrine to test the oblique catheters, which apparent?I know that in this forum there are users of the oblique but apparently they are not the panacea, right?The truth is that I consider the option to return to my life before because now every time I have a catheter change, anguish ...

erpla's profile photo
erpla
01/10/2017 4:41 p.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

We continue with many problems and I don't know what to do, today we made change and the one I took away had a lot of bubbles some large and many small ones, the new one worked well in the morning, now at night after dinner, climb, I corrected with2 more and see, in an hour to look again.I think this lot should be, the previous ones did not make me so many bubbles, I follow all the guidelines for filling and nothing, I tried to fill the reservoir, I tried not to fill it, I do not know what else to do, I am a little desperate because it cost methat they put the bomb and now we could not take performance.

pco's profile photo
pco
01/11/2017 1 a.m.

Other brands does not happen

hoyos9's profile photo
hoyos9
01/11/2017 10:10 a.m.

erpla said:
good afternoon.
Something similar happens to me, I have been with DM1 for 22 years and with the Medtronics bomb since May, I use the 6 mm catheters and they fail very much, at first I put them in the abdomen, I thought the failures came because it would have hyperlipodystrophies orSomething like that seemed reasonable after 20 years injecting into the gut.I started using the buttocks and back, at first, although in my back it is annoying to drive in my case, but they begin to fail again, the last time, three followed in the buttocks that gave error, now I have begun to put them inThe leg that is an area that until now has not seen insulin but the absorption is sometimes a bit erratic and it costs me much more to control the glucose.Those of Medtronic have recommended that I speak with the endocrine to test the oblique catheters, which apparent?I know that in this forum there are users of the oblique but apparently they are not the panacea, right?The truth is that I consider the option to return to my life before because now every time I have a catheter change, anguish ...

Hello.I have had the same problem.I had been using the Roche Bomb and July 2018 for 18 months, they changed me to the most recent, to which I had the preloaded cartridges and thus avoid bubbles and all their problems.A fantasy.
In December my hospital decided that for economic reasons we would all take the same bomb, went to competition and won Medtronic.Since then they have been problems with the cannulas, almost all folded, infusion blocks, ketone bodies every three days (I never had them before).In my case first was in the buttocks and now also in the abdomen.The only solution they gave me was to use the oblique and since then it is true that I have not had these problems again.But it is a very different system, the difficulty of placing it forces me that when I have to rotate in gluteo is another person who does it to me.Much more pain.And the skin is also more resentful and the wounds last several days, I do not think that any body is prepared to suffer those punctures for a long time.
But now that it is the only solution that I have/we have if I recommend you try them, because life with bomb has no comparison to without it ...

ivc99's profile photo
ivc99
09/27/2019 6:10 p.m.

@IVC99 In the end I went to the oblique and I have not had any problem in terms of infusion, if it is true that the wounds and scars that remain are much more ugly, it is more apparent to put because you need both hands like thisWhat arms and back are discarded and in my case I still can use legs because it produces many bruises and that makes the absorption not good.In any case I have been with oblique and more or less well.I would love to change the bomb because it gives me the feeling that Medtronic's is the one that gives more problems of this type but in my hospital there are no more options.

erpla's profile photo
erpla
09/30/2019 1:59 p.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.