In the Lara state, eight months have already been completed since the last time patients with diabetes could go to a pharmacy and buy insulin calmly.Since then its appearance began to be sporadic, until it reached the point where they are currently: they do not get it anywhere.

So far this year they have only found - and with difficulties - crystalline insulin, which is rapid action.It serves to cover meals, but its action profile does not act the same as that released by the pancreas.As explained by Lourdes Pérez, president of the Casa Amigos del Niño Foundation with Diabetes (Fundacaminidia), this insulin cannot be supplied alone, it must be made in combination with another of intermediate or slow action, and that is not achieved.

Pérez is the mother of a young diabetics of 21 years, who swells the lists of the patients of the Lara state.Nothing more in the entity there are almost 1,000 children between zero and 17 years with that condition.Of those, about 43 have been diagnosed in the first 17 days of 2017.

In the Pediatric Hospital Doctor Agustín Zubillaga, where Fundacaminidia Labora, there are 265 Diabetic children in critical condition, struggling to get their medications.About 200 are in intermediate conditions and 180 in good condition.In 2015, 62 new patients were recorded, and predict that the 2016 figures - which have not yet been able to calculate - exceed them.

Pérez explained that while one of the main causes of the disease is hereditary, current situations have caused the numbers to increase.The stress to which citizens are subjected today, in addition to the poor diet produced by scarcity and high prices and sedentary lifestyle, are the causes."Now you are going to have sick, stressed and malnourished children."

“The problem we currently have is not only of medication, but also food, especially with patient diseases.Each patient has a special diet, but how is it fulfilled if food is not achieved? ”Exclaimed the president of Fundacaminidia.

Pérez's daughter's diabetes is even more complicated, since it is allergic to various types of insulin.Since at 9 years he was diagnosed with the disease, his life has consisted of seeking treatments for her, but he had never suffered as much as now."No one imagines, as a mother, how I feel when I have to change the insulins and I don't get it," he exclaimed.

Photo: Atusaludenlinea.com