Metformin 850

Gracian's profile photo   01/09/2018 5:37 p.m.

A year ago in an analytics they discovered that the glucose was high, a value of 220 that I have not reached.Every year I had been repeating the analysis because I have a history, many relatives have had type II diabetes.Until that date I had always had normal values ​​(between 90 and 115), it will only do two or three years reached 140- My GP did not give it more importance- and I did not take any measure.
The fact is that- and this would be the reason for my question, to know the opinion of who kindly give it to me that every week I punish me once.In the last eight months in just two occasions I have exceeded the value of 130, all the values ​​are in the interval of 118 to 125.
My question is whether you think I can ask my endocrine if it would be convenient to ask if I should leave the medication or if I should change the dose at 500 mg.A daily tablet as now.
Thank you

Gracian's profile photo
Gracian
01/09/2018 5:37 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Continue to take the 850mg metformin.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
01/11/2018 6:12 p.m.

It is not convenient to leave the medication.Diabetes is still there.If you tolerate the current dose well and as long as there are no contraindications, you should keep the treatment as it is (or intensify it if the HBA1C is out of targets).

EndocrinaAntiNewAge's profile photo
EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/16/2018 5:53 p.m.

I just collected the results of some analytical tests I have 120 glucose and glycoxylate 6.3.On Monday I have consult with the endocrine and I am going to ask him, that if with these low values- for months- he could go down to the 500 mg dose.

Gracian's profile photo
Gracian
02/16/2018 6:23 p.m.

You have no "low" values, you have "controlled" values.Normal basal blood glucose is up to 100 (110 mg/dl according to societies).And normal HBA1C maximum is up to 5.8%.

In patients with diabetes it is recommended to have HBA1C as low as possible without risk of hypoglycemia (or cause other adverse effects).In the case of taking only metformin and tolerate it well (and obviously without hypoglycemia, because metformin does not cause them), it makes no sense to reduce the current dose, and less with the current metabolic control.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/16/2018 6:31 p.m.

I am only taking a tablet of 850 mg in the morning.My doctor has told me, on other occasions, that he up to 125 of basal glycemia does not raise the need to take medication and estimate normal has 6.2 the HBA1C.There is so much disparity in opinions ...

Gracian's profile photo
Gracian
02/16/2018 7:45 p.m.

I am going to ask my doctor if I think I could lower the dose to 500, the less medication it takes better.I would prefer to try to make a more rigorous diet, now as practically of all than to take medications.I am 64 years old and possibly I would have even lower values ​​if it did not lead such a sedentary life.

Gracian's profile photo
Gracian
02/16/2018 7:51 p.m.

It is true that there is disparity of opinions on some occasions, but this is not at all the case.I explain myself:

Notice that your doctor says that up to 125 of basal glycemia (since the diagnostic figure is 126) does not raise the need to take medication, but you already take medication.Another thing is that you were at least 125 without taking medication and with an HBA1c of 6.2% without taking medication.In that case it would seem reasonable to continue without taking medication, since we would not be talking about diabetes but of prediabetes.But you have 118-125 and an HBA1C of 6.3% taking medication.What do you think will happen if you lower the dose?Well, if everything else is still the same, the expected thing is that it rises, even if it is somewhat minimal.If you lose 5 kg (I invented it), the values ​​are probably even better than before reducing the dose.They influence a thousand factors.

By the way, an HBA1C of 6.2% is not normal.It is considered altered, and from 6.5% it is considered diagnostic of diabetes.Another different thing is that an HBA1C of 6.2% is great for a patient with diabetes.And being able to have 6.2% without hypoglycemia and without complications, I do not know what need to have 6.8%.And I don't say all this, says the ad,

But obviously, you have the final decision.And having the conviction that you do not need that dose of medication, it is possible that your doctor ends up being "agree" with you.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/16/2018 8:03 p.m.

gracian said:
I'm going to ask my doctor if I think I could lower the dose to 500, the less medication it takes better.I would prefer to try to make a more rigorous diet, now as practically of all than to take medications.I am 64 years old and possibly I would have even lower values ​​if I did not lead such a sedentary life.
In food and sedentary lifestyle I totally agree.If you think there is something that can be improved in these aspects, it will surely influence the metformin.But I think the order should be that: first to improve the aspects of life you can modify, and then if the thing improves spectacularly and you prefer to leave the medication by your personal convictions, go ahead (and not first withdraw medication and then change thefood and sedentary lifestyle).

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/16/2018 8:08 p.m.

You're right.When I started taking this medication a year ago I had 220 basal blood glucose and an 8.5 glycoxylate.Many years ago, every year, a year and a half made an analysis.It always had normal standard values.But more than two years ago, I began to have skin problems, mobility problems, I fell every time, I was bored.I have a disability that obviously affected my mobility;But these problems were not so common, like this season.
Now I am very good I have stability of movements, I have no other skin problem, of several things ...
I have to tell you that in my family, paternal branch, there has been a lot of incidence of type I diabetes, all people dependent on insulin.And I can thank if I do not evolve that way ...

endocrinaantinewage said:
It is true that there is disparity of opinions on some occasions, but this is not at all the case.I explain myself:

Notice that your doctor says that up to 125 of basal glycemia (since the diagnostic figure is 126) does not raise the need to take medication, but you already take medication.Another thing is that you were at least 125 without taking medication and with an HBA1c of 6.2% without taking medication.In that case it would seem reasonable to continue without taking medication, since we would not be talking about diabetes but of prediabetes.But you have 118-125 and an HBA1C of 6.3% taking medication.What do you think will happen if you lower the dose?Well, if everything else is still the same, the expected thing is that it rises, even if it is somewhat minimal.If you lose 5 kg (I invented it), the values ​​are probably even better than before reducing the dose.They influence a thousand factors.

By the way, an HBA1C of 6.2% is not normal.It is considered altered, and from 6.5% it is considered diagnostic of diabetes.Another different thing is that an HBA1C of 6.2% is great for a patient with diabetes.And being able to have 6.2% without hypoglycemia and without complications, I do not know what need to have 6.8%.And I don't say all this, says the ad,

But obviously, you have the final decision.And having the conviction that you do not need that dose of medication, it is possible that your doctor ends up being "agree" with you.

Gracian's profile photo
Gracian
02/16/2018 9:08 p.m.

Cheer up!He thinks that having controlled diabetes only with metformin at age 64, is a luck.Good luck or achievement, because in that luck there may be a lot of your effort to improve things.

Greetings and I hope that with your doctor you will get to the best decision for you.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/16/2018 10:28 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.