New and a question about meat and insulin

Juanlu83's profile photo   01/10/2018 5:20 p.m.

Hello, I introduce myself, my name is Juan Luis and I am 34 years old, I have been diabetic type 1 since the 16

My question is as follows:

I moved to Madrid a year ago, until then I have been with my diabetes more or less controlled (almost always high) following the patterns that the endocrine gave me (quite scarce) to eat and put on some dose of fixed insulin, and moreor less I was overwhelming

When I arrived in Madrid, with more independence and change of a doctor I began to put insulin based on the carbohydrates units that I take, and I am doing a lot better

My question comes with the flesh, because I am not sure, as a general rule when as something that carries proteins I do not take them into account when adding or subtracting insulin (that is, if I like a plate of boiled potatoes with chicken,Well, the chicken does not tell it, only the potatoes) and it does not seem bad method, I have read there that for every 100 grams of meat should add a fast insulin unit but more than anything to calibrate because by adding the meat the abosrion ofHydrates is lower

The case is what happens if alone as meat in a meal?That is, one day I go out for dinner at night and ceno a meat steak should I put insulin?Generally as always the meat with bread, precisely to put insulin, but I am really with that doubt

All the best

Juanlu83's profile photo
Juanlu83
01/10/2018 5:20 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The protein can affect glucose because one part the body can turn it into glucose if it needs it.The problem is that it is not like hydrates that go to glucose quite fast, the protein takes to digest and can get you hours after eating.I think it is best to try not to insulin one day that you only eat meat and see what happens at 2 hours and 4 hours and 6 hours for example and so you see if you need insulin and when to put it.If you put it on eating it, it is likely to give you downturn because although part of that protein ends like blood glucose that will spend several hours after eating and progressively.I may get to you with that or you may need something quick but a while after eating.
For these cases there is a regular type insulin (which I do not know in Spain that pharmaceutical).Let's say it is like a mixture between basal and fast.I have never used it but I have read about it because Dr Bernstein recommends it in one of his books.This man is a doctor who is also diabetic since the age of 12 (now he has 83) and has written several diabetes books based on his years of experience and the knowledge acquired treating patients.He is the defender of low diets in hydrates for diabetics and recommends this type of insulin for when you eat little hydrate and quite fat and protein because the rise in blood glucose is progressive for several hours and coincides with the effect of this type of insulin.
What I would do in your case is to try one day to eat a steak or similar without putting insulin and you are measuring to see what happens.If you do not upload you, you know that for those cases you do not click and ready.And if you upload you then when you start up and ask the endocrine that insulin could come better.Tell the regular to explain how it goes and if it would adapt well to that case or to tell you when you get fast from what you use or what you consider best.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
01/10/2018 6:22 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Not like only meat since I always include some hydrates, even if they are few.I never take it into account when calculating rations.If I only eat meat unless I had a lot of fat, I wouldn't insulin.
Do the test and so you will know how to act.Each is a world and what is worth one is useless for another;)

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
01/11/2018 9:32 a.m.

I do not usually make any food without carbohydrates, since always as, at least, bread and some dessert, but if it started only protein I would not put me bolus either.I would go to hypoglycemia, clearly ... the meat should not modify your blood glucose and if it does, it would be much later and very little significantly ...

JPR's profile photo
JPR
01/11/2018 10:07 a.m.

30 años. Diabetes tipo 1 desde los 10
Medtronic Minimed 640g
NovoRapid
hA1c: 6%
Sensor Enlite

Hi @Juanlu83:

Do you know what the fat-protein units are?
I include the explanation of the 'Therapeutic Guide at the beginning of treatment with continuous insulin infusion (ISCI)':

=========================
Amount of insulin necessary, infused for a specific time, to metabolize a meal that contains a significant amount of fat/protein
Dose to cover the GP = Ratio HC X The UGP number Fat-Protein Unit (UGP) = amount of food that
They contribute 150 kcal of fat and/or protein -rich foods (previously used per 100 kcal but with it with
frequency hypoglycemia were produced).

A dual or multious bolus is used:
• The insulin dose for the normal bolus should be calculated from HC rations using its ratio
• The insulin dose of the square bolus, which is the one that covers the number of G/P units, is calculated, multiplied by the insulin ratio (RI) used for an HC ration by the UGP number.

The duration of the square bolus time is valued depending on the amount of fat/protein units:
• 3 hours for a meal containing 1 UGP
• 4 hours if it contains 2 UGP
• 5 hours if it contains 3 UGP
• And up to 8 hours if it contains more than 3 UGP

As you can see, the fat-protein units (UGP or in English FPU literature [fat-protein units]) also affect the calculation of the insulin dose.
If you do not use insulin pump (ISCI), you can "imitate" the dual bolus (Multiionnda) with two "punctures" (with a separation of at least 2 ... 3 hours, but you better see how they have already told you).

@Yessica_a, regular insulin is tested by all the people who started with this type 1 diabetes before 1996 ( Link it is not "like a mixture between basal and fast";It is fast, only, (what happens is that the vast majority of times the ultra-trap anologists are used).

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
01/11/2018 5:51 p.m.

Hi @Juanlu83:

Do you know what the fat-protein units are?
I include the explanation of the 'Therapeutic Guide at the beginning of treatment with continuous insulin infusion (ISCI)':

Amount of insulin necessary, infused for a specific time, to metabolize a meal that contains a significant amount of fat/protein
Dose to cover the GP = Ratio HC X The UGP number Fat-Protein Unit (UGP) = amount of food that
They contribute 150 kcal of fat and/or protein -rich foods (previously used per 100 kcal but with it with
frequency hypoglycemia were produced).

A dual or multious bolus is used:
• The insulin dose for the normal bolus should be calculated from HC rations using its ratio
• The insulin dose of the square bolus, which is the one that covers the number of G/P units, is calculated, multiplied by the insulin ratio (RI) used for an HC ration by the UGP number.

The duration of the square bolus time is valued depending on the amount of fat/protein units:
• 3 hours for a meal containing 1 UGP
• 4 hours if it contains 2 UGP
• 5 hours if it contains 3 UGP
• And up to 8 hours if it contains more than 3 UGP

As you can see, the fat-protein units (UGP or in English FPU literature [fat-protein units]) also affect the calculation of the insulin dose.
If you do not use insulin pump (ISCI), you can "imitate" the dual bolus (Multiionnda) with two "punctures" (with a separation of at least 2 ... 3 hours, but you better see how they have already told you).

@Yessica_a, regular insulin is tested by all the people who started with this type 1 diabetes before 1996 ( Link it is not "like a mixture between basal and fast";It is fast, only, (what happens is that the vast majority of times the ultra-trap anologists are used).

mamarvazq
01/11/2018 5:52 p.m.

@"Mamarvazq" What is like a mixture between basal and fast referred to the fact that the action curve has part of one of the ultra -grants that are used now and part of slow because the action is for about 8 hours and the maximum peakIt is later than a ultra -grape and less pronounced.My comment has not been very successful because it is not well understood.But it is an insulin that through the action curve is very good for meals with very little hydrate and a lot of protein and fat.The rise peak of the hydrates is covered by the peak of insulin and the rest of the hours of action is raising the hydrates delayed by fat and protein and covers it very well.A meal with a lot of fat and protein takes a long time to digest and an ultra -graph does not usually cover it all and at 4 hours you can begin to notice that glucose raises you through the protein.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
01/11/2018 6:30 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Very well explained @yessica_a.

mamarvazq
01/11/2018 6:32 p.m.

Thank you very much for your explanations, it has become much clearer.

Also today I did a test to see if the sugar went up, at noon I ate about 200 grams in chicken meat and the truth is that so far it has remained very stable (measured with the free freestyle) around 150 until the hourFrom dinner, and that I have even gone to dance classes for what I have been moving a lot

Greetings to all

Juanlu83's profile photo
Juanlu83
01/11/2018 11:04 p.m.

Keep in mind that chicken, rabbit and turkey are meats with little fat.They do not upload me, but the red meat and the lamb give me hyperglycemia at 3 hours and I have to replace insulin.
Nor do white fish upload but the blue ones that have more fat force me insulin.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/12/2018 5:12 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.