{'en': 'Retinopathy, pregnancy and diabetes', 'es': 'Retinopatía, embarazo y diabetes'} Image

Retinopathy, pregnancy and diabetes

Jess's profile photo   01/21/2018 2:22 a.m.

Hi how are things?

Anyone with proliferative retinopathy who has become pregnant and tells your experience?

I've been with our sweet friend for 20 years and due to my lack of control for a long time, then ... Wala!The problems appear and I have proliferative retinopathy.

I am 30 years old and now comes the idea of ​​being a mother.

I have not sat down to talk seriously with the ophthalmologist, but I know that he is advisable and it would be the risk of losing your vision, some person who has risked and tells us his experience would be of great help to value the decision.

Thank you!!

Jess's profile photo
Jess
01/21/2018 2:22 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Of course, and it is quite proven, pregnancy can only worsen a situation, already quite complicated.From my point of view, all efforts must be aimed at controlling the RDP, something that can only be achieved through the Panfotocoagulation.Once the process is stabilized, there will be no inconvenience in pregnancy

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
01/21/2018 8:51 a.m.

Thank you so much
I have sought that of Pantofotocoagulation and says that you sacrifice peripheral vision.
I don't know if you can guide me a bit of the process, if I lose vision or how it is
Thank you

Jess's profile photo
Jess
01/21/2018 3:19 p.m.

There is much written in this forum on the subject, it will not be difficult for you to find it.Initially the loss of peripheral vision, which of course occurs, is compatible with the development of a normal life.In old age, next to the logical sequels of age, it is more noticeable.What is very evident is the great difficulty in adaptation to darkness, for example in garages, by destruction of photoreceptors.But what it is about is to preserve the central vision, so everything is due to well used.And if you really have a proliferating retinopathy, you can't waste a long time

Javier Arriaga Sanz
01/21/2018 7:26 p.m.

Hello good.

@Oftalmologo: Why pregnancy gets worse retinopathies?For the worst control during the same?For a hormonal theme?Effort during childbirth?

I tell you for a friend, who has been pregnant, tells me that in her last review, she has slightly worsened the non -proliferative diabetic retinopathy she has in one of her eyes.A small anaurism in one eye has increased a slightly size.Fortunately there are no neovosses and does not need laser, as they have told him.As he tells me, his controls during pregnancy were book.And then he does not explain it.Could it be for the effort during childbirth?The birth was natural (without epidural).

Thanks as always.

albertot's profile photo
albertot
01/24/2018 8:38 a.m.

It seems that these are hormonal alterations that lead to a metabolic imbalance.I have reviewed many diabetics during their pregnancy and I have never found great problems attributable to it.It is true that they were endocrine controlled patients in the hospital.Of course, in a context of RDP prior to pregnancy, it constitutes a risk factor that worsens the retinal box.In the chaos that I have had of proliferating retinopathy and pregnancy, I have not hesitated in Panfotocoagular in a preferential way and the evolution has been, in all chaos, very good
In the case that you tell me about your friend, it could be a logical evolution of her retinopathy without any relationship with pregnancy.I am struck by what you say that "fortunately there are no neovosses and does not need laser, they have told him."Waiting for Panfotocoagular when there are neovosses equals treating cancer when metastasis has occurred.
Finally, the effort of the delivery may have bleeding if there are neovosses, which as I have already said they must be photocoagulated before delivery.In any case, endocrine in these cases usually recommend caesarean section

Javier Arriaga Sanz
01/24/2018 7:31 p.m.

Thank you very much @Oftalmologo, as always.I don't know the exact diagnosis, I just know that they saw that the little (or small) Anaurism had worsened a little, I think that through an eye bottom.And seeing the worsening, that same morning they made an angiography with contrast.And they saw that at the moment the laser was not necessary and simply continue with the controls with more periodicity.The control during pregnancy was d elibro.Perhaps it is a simple coincidence that the slight worsening in the review after pregnancy was seen.Thank you

albertot's profile photo
albertot
01/25/2018 7:27 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.