{'en': 'Recommendations for adjusting insulin with an MCG (Dexcom)', 'es': 'Recomendaciones para ajustar la insulina con un MCG (Dexcom)'} Image

Recommendations for adjusting insulin with an MCG (Dexcom)

fer's profile photo   02/01/2018 6:12 p.m.

The Endocrine Society, has recently published a series of new recommendations for the adjustment of insulin doses in children and adults, based on the use of the meter continues of Glucosa dexcom G5 and the trend arrows.The information that this continuous measurement device offers to the user could better adjust the insulin dose at all times.

They are guidelines that improve the previous ones, because for the first time they take into account the insulin sensitivity of a person, which means in reality to know how an insulin unit is expected to reduce the amount of sugar in the blood.

These new recommendations released a few days ago, do not replace standard calculations for insulin dosing, but can help refine the doses of Dexcom G5 users.In any case, this information must be contrasted by your trusted health professional.

For example, when blood sugar rises, more insulin may be needed;When blood sugar is falling, less insulin may be needed.The amount varies depending on the sensitivity of a person to insulin.

The following tables summarize the guidelines for the adjustment of the insulin dose before one meal and more than three hours after a meal (corrections).They are separated by adults (first image) and pediatrics (second image), different tendencies of monitoring (lifting, neutral, or falling), and different sensibilities to insulin.

For example, an adult with a correction factor of 30 (that is, an insulin unit reduces blood sugar by 30 mg / dl) should:

• Add 3.5 units to the dose of insulin calculated for an ascending double arrow;
• Subtract 3.5 units from the usual insulin dose for a double fall in fall.

This recommendation changes to +1.5 units for the same double upward arrow in a person with a more insulin -sensitive correction factor of 80 (that is, an insulin unit decreases blood sugar by 80 mg / dl).That same insulin sensitive person should subtract 1.5 dose units for a double arrow that falls.

This information has been published on the Diatribe website, a reference information website in diabetes, and as always, this information we publish today, we repeat, it must be contrasted by your medical professional before making important changes in your usual insulin dose.

Source: Link

fer's profile photo
fer
02/01/2018 6:12 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Very dangerous that they give that information so happily, you have to analyze many variables, I do not agree to act just seeing the trend arrows, they are a warning but you have to analyze more.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
02/02/2018 1:24 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

@"Jconegar" I think the same, I suppose that is why they put the text in the gray box that says something similar to "the correction system based on the trend arrows, does not replace the standard calculations."

In my case, with the time I have been using the Dexcom, and without having these guides, I already fit me a lot with the corrections that I usually do, and I confirm that you have to go very carefully when you interpret the arrows, sometimes two mark twoUp and at 5 minutes you have a flat ... so care

Everyone knows their body better than anyone, so you have to adapt the recommendations in each case.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/02/2018 4:42 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

MMM I think this standardized information to people, and the singurality is lost.We all react differently, you cannot act in this way in the face of the trend, and not to mention that there are many variables that are put into play singularly ....

Dani Se's profile photo
Dani Se
02/03/2018 11:50 p.m.

Soy DANIELA, mamà de Tomás de 8 años. Con tresiba 9u y lispro en comidas desde mayo 2017 . Iport y free+miao miao2 con xdrip y nigthscout .
Argentina

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.