{'en': 'End of course excursion, tips?', 'es': 'Excursión de fin de curso, ¿Consejos?'} Image

End of course excursion, tips?

elena31's profile photo   02/09/2018 10:19 p.m.

Hello!

I am 16 years old and this year for the first time I would like to go on an excursion for seven days to Tenerife.

My parents only find it for me to go, since a few months ago I had a great night hypoglycemia (although luckily I did not faint) and above all my mother tries to convince me so that it does not "scare me".

I would love to go and show them that I am able to take care of myself, but I cannot deny that I feel some fear for what can happen, since they truly are the ones that help me control myself.

Can you give me any advice to reassure them and at the same time convince them and also for my trip?

Thank you so much!

elena31's profile photo
elena31
02/09/2018 10:19 p.m.

Lantus. NovoRapid.
Diabética desde 2012.

You can get off the slow ones a little those days ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/09/2018 10:25 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

I see that you get Lantus.The lantus is better to put it in the morning, to avoid nocturnal hypoglycemia.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/09/2018 11:41 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

@"Elena31" My 14 -year -old son will also go in May 3 days of study trip, for the first time only away from home with diabetes.I understand your parents perfectly because I am also dead.

But I have not tried to dissuade him from my son because I think he does not deserve it and because it would be very unfair that because of diabetes a beautiful and fun experience was lost.Of course, we have already talked about those days will lower the units of slow insulin (as @regina says) and I have also swear a thousand times that the alarm will put at least 2 times during the night to look at the glucose and will have theBed side juices to be taken in case of necessity.Every day I am the one who controls it at night.The poor person has sworn for the most sacred that will do it and I have become a little quieter, although I don't think I can reconcile the dream those days ...

You can try to promise your parents the same: if what worries you most are the nights, commit yourself to put an alarm for a one or twice during the night to look at you.And tell them you will send them by WhatsApp each time the result of the measurement.Thus they will become calmer, and you will also lie with more confidence and security.

A hug and tell us.

PGarcía's profile photo
PGarcía
02/10/2018 12:19 p.m.

Hijo con DM1 desde Mayo 2017, con 13 años.
Tresiba + Novorapid. Freestyle + Blucon.
Última hemo: 6,8(Noviembre 2018)

Well Elena apart from lowering the lantus and changing it in the morning you can put those days a continuous freestyle meter and link it with Libreview so that your parents see your glucose at every moment.They are 60eur and will cover you 14 days.
Surely they are calmer.

Enjoy it a lot.It is a precious experience

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
02/11/2018 9:28 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I tell you the same as the rest, get many controls, get off the slow one and if you can put those days a continuous meter like freestyle.Put on alarms at night to see how you are and write whatppps to your parents to tell them how you go and be calm.Also ask any questions by phone and tell you.Surely if you promise you that you are going to do all that they stay calmer and let you go.Do not let diabetes take away from doing things, it's just a matter of controlling a lot so that everything goes well.

And as advice I would tell you to start depending less on your parents for control, with 16 years you can start making decisions.At first with its supervision, of course, but that you are getting more autonomous.So when you have to go on a trip they will not worry so much because they will know that you know how to drive it alone.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/12/2018 10:03 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

If you are responsible, everything will go well.
The most important thing is that you can have the nights safe.And may your colleagues know what they have to do if they see you go down.
I think, going down those days, you will have no problem.
Enjoy it a lot!

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/12/2018 11:39 a.m.

In addition to what the rest of the compis have told you, do not rise.Remember that alcohol can cause hypoglycemia.For the rest, he enjoys the end -of -course trips are wonderful.

piruha's profile photo
piruha
02/14/2018 4:07 p.m.

DM1 desde 1987 (con 3 años)
Lantus y Humalog
Dexcom g5

Hello!I would tell you that you are calm and that you trust you, you know yourself and you are able to take care of yourself without your parents (what to do if you have hypos, prevent them to the maximum with the advice that you have already given you), you just have to prove it, with 16 yearsYou control safely.Also if you go on the course I suppose that your compis knows that you have diabetes, it is not that you are going to be alone.
As you have told you up there, try to be autonomous and not depend on your parents.I understand that you are afraid, but it seems like a blow under trying to scare you so as not to go on the end of the course.How are you going to miss that trip to Tenerife with your course compis?Diabetes does not prevent you from living or enjoying, you simply have to be more alert than the rest, control the hydrates and when you go out of partying TB what you drink (more alcohol plus hypoglycemia).I recommend that you do not drink, but I understand that with your age you want to take something, so more measurements and always having simple hydrates.

I debuted with your age, and although it was a before and after, I have never resigned from a journey through diabetes.With 21 years I left Erasmus and with 22 1 month to study English (alone), and at that time without a continuous meter .. I travel everything I can and I have never had any problem.

So courage, and enjoy the experience of traveling with your friends

Maritxu22's profile photo
Maritxu22
02/14/2018 5:35 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2006. 33años
Tresiba:12-14
Fiasp a demanda
Dexcom G6

Última HbA1c: 6% (junio)

Your parents' fear is totally understandable.It is the first time you will spend a few days and that generates uncertainty.I debuted with diabetes at age 14 and at 2 months I went on a trip with Basket colleagues inside my country (Uruguay).Obviously the important thing is monitoring especially before bedtime and that your classmates know that, given the doubt, they give you something sweet.You will not have any problem and you will surely enjoy it.

Diego Berro's profile photo
Diego Berro
02/15/2018 2:43 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.