{'en': '20% of people with type1 diabetes suffer hypoglycemia unnoticed', 'es': '20% de personas con diabetes tipo1 padece hipoglucemias desapercibidas'} Image

20% of people with type1 diabetes suffer hypoglycemia unnoticed

fer's profile photo   02/13/2018 1:52 p.m.

We talk about hypoglycemia or blood sugar downturn when the glucose level is below 70 mg/dl.The body usually warns with symptoms such as tremor, sweat, blurred vision and the person can easily solve it by drinking sugar, fruit or juices."When these symptoms are not perceived or perceived when sugar is much lower, it is when we talk about unnoticed hypoglycemia," says Mercè Vidal.

Unnoticed hypoglycemia are more frequent in people who are treated with insulin, both in type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes, and affect approximately 20% of the population with diabetes.

Optimizing control or wanting to maintain glucose values ​​in very strict stripes can facilitate the sugar to lower the account.In the words of Mercè Vidal “if this occurs many times and for a long time, the perception of the symptoms can be altered.When there is little perception of symptoms, the control objectives must be raised, make more self-analysis and re-evaluate the educational program to improve diabetes management. ”

They are called unnoticed hypoglycemia because the person with diabetes does not recognize the symptoms of sugar down or because the patient himself undervalued, and “it is the most dangerous because if they have hypoglycemia unnoticed, it can have a serious hypoglycemia and then theSolution is in the hands of others, ”says Vidal.

In these situations, the patient may be afraid to suffer hypoglycemia and, as a consequence, not correctly adjust the doses of insulin.Technological advances and new insulin analogues can be a good option to prevent, identify and avoid hypoglycemia.

fer's profile photo
fer
02/13/2018 1:52 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It really is so.I am type 1 diabetic for 30 years and I find it very difficult to realize that I am with hypoglycemia.Many times I am in less than 0.40 and I don't feel anything.

Diego Berro's profile photo
Diego Berro
02/13/2018 3:36 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Diego Berro said:
... Many times I'm in less than 0.40 and I don't feel anything.

I guess you mean less than 40 mg/dl, right? ... it's really a low figure ...

fer's profile photo
fer
02/13/2018 4:28 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Yes correct.

Diego Berro's profile photo
Diego Berro
02/13/2018 4:50 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, I'm quite fair and I detect them very well at least when I'm awake.At night I don't have months ago and I don't know if I would give myself as quickly, so far I have always woken up before I got a lot.
I wake up to notice it when it comes out of 70 but very little and is approaching 60 or I drop it well.That it would really be what would notice a non -diabetic, for them hypoglycemia is less than 60.

I believe that what most alters symptoms is having frequent hypoglycemia not being with a stricter control.I can be in 70-80 stable hours and I know that if I do not exercise it does not go down there and I still notice the hypos just as well as before I had worse control, as soon as I notice it quickly.And some strong that I have had to get into vein insulin I have had very clear symptoms as soon as it starts to go down.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/13/2018 5:02 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.