Presentation and questions, 49 years overweight

Roddy Calo's profile photo   02/16/2017 9:22 p.m.

I am a 49 -year -old woman with a lot of overweight and family history of a lot of diabetis 2.

In the last analytics Salío 110. But the consultation is for my father.It is diabetic 2 dependent insulin.He is 81 years old and for at least 15 he took 22 insulin units every 12 hours.

In a few months he has made hypoglycemia of reaching 22 (they measured it at the hospital being admitted) convulsing and losing knowledge, as if it were epilepsy, always at night or just waking up.They have changed a slow lantus insulin and one that I think is called Novorapid.

He looked at the values ​​every 3 or 4 days before.Summarizing ... a total chaos, does not understand that two types of insulin have to be prick and still is always high (it reaches 300), is baffled, can they be looking for their ideal dose?

12 units of Lantus are click at 8 at night and the rapid only if it goes from 200 starting with 4 units.It gets up at about 150 (very high, right?

We are desperate, I know that he is older and all that but it is my father and it is horrible to see him with that fear of going to sleep.He cries a lot and feels useless and a load.

He has been seen for years but is handled very well, it is very active, he walks almost 4 hours a day ...

What do we do wrong?

I am thinking of buying a meter with alarm (for God's prices) that sends me the data to my mobile.

Roddy Calo's profile photo
Roddy Calo
02/16/2017 9:22 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Good morning and welcome @"Roddy Calo".From your post I understood the sgte;Your father was injected before 44u of slow insulin and gave him many hypoglycemia with hypoglycemic coma included.Then they have changed to Lantus 12u.Novorapid 4U If you go from 200, with these guidelines you have 300 hyperglycemia. Obviously you have to look for your ideal dose.I do not know the guidelines for a diabetic 2, the DM1 must use fast insulin for each meal.I hope other colleagues can help you.Your father before was done 2 controls a week, I imagine that about 4 daily will be done, right?It is visited by an endocrinologist, in the ambulatory they give him all the strips he needs?You have already read here in the forum all about Dexcom G5? You will surely find very good information.I carry the G4 and I am happy.Greetings.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
02/17/2017 11:14 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

Thank you!If you have understood it well.My question is whether it is normal that taking the same insulin and the same measure 22 units every 12 hours for 10 years of suddennew.He always ate fruit in the middle of the morning, normally an apple, now they tell him that fruit does not, just after meals with fat and fiber ... all new!

Roddy Calo
02/17/2017 3:16 p.m.

Hello @"Roddy Calo",
Although for a long time it has been more or less stable, that does not mean that it cannot change.It is a dynamic issue, as is the life of each one, with changes and evolutions.
In addition, regardless of the particular sensitivity of each person, very diverse, childhood and old age are periods in which this sensitivity is usually increased.So it is easy for some decompensations to begin at a given time.Surely you calmly find the dose that suits you better :-)

And what accounts of him feels a burden ... Well, I also know him well in some elderly people and it is hard for everyone, yes (and society as a whole is what returns them, that the old ones are useless) and also, also,They are seen at the gates of death, with some or many of their diminished or canceled possibilities and having to depend on other people, and that is not easy to take it with a smile and without fear;It is a process that needs support, patience and love and understanding.And if you can get technological support that helps reduce anxiety, better than better :-)

Hugs

imara's profile photo
imara
02/17/2017 7:39 p.m.

I see that you have diabetes 1 since 2013, but until 2016 you have not put insulin.I didn't know that was possible.What more complicated disease!You never learn!When I was little, there was talk of the youth or 1 and the two but now I read that there are more guys.In my family by father everyone has the two, obese or thin that is already rare and there are 3 cases of the autoimmune, the three women.The endocrine tells us that it is chance, 1 refers.Anyway ... I wish they leave more advances for all autoimmune diseases that my child has another and is also complicated with noses.The good thing is that my father until 81 has had a very good quality of life, despite being diabetic since 40. Everything will have to relear and update us.

Roddy Calo
02/17/2017 10:09 p.m.

I think the most important thing now is that nocturnal hypoglycemia diminish and can sleep peacefully.Hyperglycemia control will get it quickly if you get high to meals.If you can avoid hypoglycemia, waking up at 150 is not bad at that age.If it were high all day I would have to increase some slow unit.
Sometimes it is better to put the lantus in the morning, to avoid nocturnal hypoglycemia.I am surprised that they have not put Toujeo, which is more stable than Lantus.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
02/18/2017 2:48 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.