How does insulin affect muscle glycogen insulin?

farstar's profile photo   02/24/2018 6:51 a.m.

Hello good!Maybe a question too specific, but an existential doubt for me.

It is assumed that when you exercise, glycogen burning (glucose stored in the muscles).

In a normal situation, if I ingest 45 grams of carbohydrates, I should click 3 Humalog units (3 * 15g).But what happens in a post-training situation where muscle glycogen is low?

The muscle will try to recharge from glucose, does it mean that should less insulin click?Or the same?Or shouldn't it prick?Because if nothing click me ... the basal would not be enough to recharge the glycogen?That glucose should go to muscle instead of being blood glucose, right?

Any information on the subject is welcome.Thanks in advance!

farstar's profile photo
farstar
02/24/2018 6:51 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Among other things, so we say that after exercise, it increases sensitivity to insulin, because the muscle has more tendency to capture blood glucose than in a state of rest, so that less insulin is needed to handle x rations ofCarbohydrates.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge's profile photo
EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/24/2018 3:33 p.m.

And in addition, insulin is not the only way through which glucose can enter the muscle, since muscle cells not only have glut4 transporter (which is activated with insulin) but also the Glut1 (Independent of Insulin).

And another thing, the glucose that you eat not only has to go to the muscle, but also goes to other tissues.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/24/2018 3:42 p.m.

But with the basal is not enough?I mean ... if you train, you burn all the glucogen, and then you put 45 grams of carbohydrates, do you need insulin?

I say it because I understand that in a healthy person, ingesting HC after having empty glucogen reserves does not generate an insulin peak.So I understand that in our case, there should be no rapid insulin injection?

farstar's profile photo
farstar
02/24/2018 3:48 p.m.

The truth is that on the subject of the exercise I am a bit lost and look that I have been diabetic xD for years

For example, thanks to the basal, while I am exercising, the blood glucose lowers me.I have it controlled that more or less because more or less, depending on the intensity, the frequency with which I need to ingest HC during exercise.But the post-exercise still have doubts.In fact, I have almost always waited a couple of hours before ingesting HC because it gives me "thing" to click on just ending the exercise and that the glycogen recharge interferes with insulin and generates a hypoglycemia.

farstar's profile photo
farstar
02/24/2018 4:01 p.m.

Regarding that a non -diabetic person does not generate insulin when eating hydrates after exercise, many buts should be put.It will be with a certain amount, with a certain exercise and with a certain body weight.It is impossible to predict.Therefore, the only one who has the answer to how much insulin you need for 4.5 rations after exercise is your profile.I mean, the postprandial blood glucose you will have and the behavior during the hours after exercise.Some patients do not need insulin for 2 portions and also have to get less basal.Others simply need less fast insulin, but still need.And some only have to reduce the basal because the effect of the exercise notice it more.

If you are high, you have fallen short.And if you are low, you have passed.It is very difficult to know a priori, so it is necessary to try and see how you work.

If you put examples of figures, maybe we could specify a little more and get out of the theoretical plane hehe

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/24/2018 4:08 p.m.

What usually happens to me by mixing sport and insulin, it is not that insulin works much better, but it works long before me.Normally Humalog takes 1 hour to start to take effect, but if the sport interferes a lot, at 20 minutes I begin to see how glucose descends quickly.

I will do some tests, I will look at the blood glucose after exercising and take a couple of fruit rations or with a medium/high IG to see what happens.Let's see if the basal is able to handle it or to what extent.And starting with there I will see if I need insulin and how much.I used to ingest HC before or for, almost never after.

If I see that I have any questions or if I have something to contribute to others, I will comment here again and put numbers: P Thank you for the help both in this and in the other threads!

farstar's profile photo
farstar
02/24/2018 4:20 p.m.

Another factor that can influence is that when you are "hot" you have very vasodilate skin and subcutaneous tissue and that accelerates the absorption of the rapid.You know, they are a thousand factors playing at the same time.

You are welcome!You will tell us.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/24/2018 4:34 p.m.

In my case I need less fast after training.I train at the last minute and I'm going home to dinner and I get less insulin than at other meals.But it is not too much and it also depends on the type of exercise because sometimes with the weights it remains stable and sometimes I leave in 160-170 of the gym when I enter 90 and without eating several hours before exercise.Others instead stay stable and sometimes get on the end when I walk home.I have not yet managed to see a clear pattern.What I usually do is that after the weights I do some cardio and thus I usually go well although not always.
What I notice that I need much less is if I do hiit.I think there I spend a lot of glycogen and that's why I need less insulin.It is also that the Hiit ever do is after the weights and the two things come together and if I will be very low in glycogen.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/24/2018 5:24 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.