{'en': 'Does fiber affect glucose?', 'es': '¿La fibra afecta a la glucosa?'} Image

Does fiber affect glucose?

Vicky Bu's profile photo   03/15/2017 6:23 p.m.

On Monday I had review with the header and told her that I took bread, rice, integral pasta to better regulate glucose.The fact is that he told me that the fiber affects to go better to the bathroom, but that does nothing for glucose.

This does not fit me with what I read and I even remember that when I had gestational diabetes in the hospital they recommended whole grains.

What is your experience about it?

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
03/15/2017 6:23 p.m.

Diabetes 1 LADA desde enero 2018
Antes mal diagnosticada como Tipo 2
Toujeo y Humalog Junior
A1c: 6.0

Integral cereals rise glycemia more slowly and maintained;Its glycemic index is less than that of refined cereals.
To me a dish of integral rice does not make me files x, while one of refined rice yes;Common white bread rises very quickly and glycemia makes me much more peak than whole bread;Common wheat flour macaroni rose more than wheat whole wheat flour, and more than throat of rye flour (so, it depends on what I eat, I inject one or another thing, or before or after eating...).All this, without taking into account that also the whole grain cereal provides more nutrients.
The trust that a doctor who says that and is so wide, I prefer to let it go ... ;-) asks other doctors with less prejudices, with more open perspectives, and above all, experience yourself :-)

PS: One thing is the bread that in many places they call integrally in a illicit way, because it is white flour to which they add wheat bran, which, this does make it more long belly ... and another thing isThe bread really made with whole wheat flour.The first goes up the same as white, because it is, and it also serves to "drag" ...: P The second is the integral, which rises slower and maintained in general.

imara's profile photo
imara
03/15/2017 6:45 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thanks Imara.

I think you are absolutely right.As I have DM2, they do not give me strips to measure the glucose, so I measure me only occasionally because of the cost and it is difficult for me to compare.

I will continue with my whole grains and my daily walks and voila.

My new header, they changed it little, it doesn't inspire me much confidence ... but that is another song.

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
03/15/2017 7:50 p.m.

Toujeo y Humalog Junior

Well, I think it is true that fiber does nothing as a glycemia regulator.What happens is that cereals, breads, rice and whatever integrals have less carbohydrates than refined precisely because they have a lot of fiber.
What you can tell your doctor is that when he says things like that, he explains a little more.Eating integral things is much better than the refined ones, that cannot be denied.And if he does asks for a doctor.

nachemi's profile photo
nachemi
03/16/2017 10:47 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thanks Nachemi.
My doctor not only told me that the fiber did not influence blood glucose, but added that if he used to take refined cereals, now I can continue to do so.

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
03/17/2017 3:09 p.m.

Toujeo y Humalog Junior

Hello.
Continuing with this topic, tell you that I just read the book 'Diabetes.Practical guide for patients and family 'of Harvard University and is very clear in this matter.I copy a few phrases:

- Include more fiber in your diet.The fiber has several beneficial effects: calm hunger, brakes the increase in blood glucose and reduces cholesterol levels.Choose fresh fruit instead of juice, choose bread and whole grains instead of its refined equivalents and consume more fresh and frozen vegetables.

- To reduce the LDL cholesterol level: increase the amount of soluble fiber in your diet until it reaches 10 or 25 grams per day.The soluble fiber is found in oats, barley, apples, oranges, dry legumes and gloves.

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
04/06/2017 6:11 p.m.

Toujeo y Humalog Junior

Anyway ... the gloves not, the peas ...
:)) The gun shot me.

Also says:
- The fiber not soluble in water is found in whole wheat, in rye and vegetables.

(To the latter must be what my doctor referred to)

And finally:

- If the fiber content is increased in the diet, most of the objectives of the diets with reduced glycemic rates can be achieved.

It is clear to me.

Vicky Bu's profile photo
Vicky Bu
04/06/2017 6:27 p.m.

Toujeo y Humalog Junior

Yes, the glycemic index decreases, because fiber food takes longer to digest.
A clear case is lentils.
But sometimes digestion gets too slowed to fast insulins, so you also have to take it into account ...

Regina's profile photo
Regina
04/06/2017 9:28 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.