{'en': 'When is it safe to handle (driving) if you have type 1 diabetes?', 'es': '¿Cuándo es seguro manejar (conducir) si se tiene diabetes tipo 1?'} Image

When is it safe to handle (driving) if you have type 1 diabetes?

fer's profile photo   04/24/2017 12:04 p.m.

Incorrect insulin amounts and other medications to reduce blood sugar can cause dangerously low blood sugar levels, which can make people lose knowledge or suffer seizures, explained the researchers, according to Healthday.

"Individuals with diabetes must recognize that they are part of an immense mass of people whose driving is potentially affected, such as people who suffer from heart disease or narcolepsy. They should not think that they are isolated. It is simply a problem to face," he saidThe author of a new study on diabetes and driving, Daniel Cox, professor of psychiatry, internal medicine and ophthalmology in the health system of the University of Virginia, in Charlottesville.

"We are not saying at all that people with type 1 diabetes should not drive. But, like pilots who use a checklist before the flight, drivers with type 1 diabetes must use a list before driving," he suggested.

Cox explained that some people with diabetes have a higher risk than the average of driving problems.This includes people who have already had a serious blood sugar event (hypoglycemia) while driving, people who poorfeet or legs (diabetic neuropathy), because they cannot feel the pedals.

But doctors do not have a standardized evaluation to determine who has a high risk of accidents related to diabetes and who does not.

Then, COX and their collaborators developed a test of eleven questions, called risk assessment in diabetic conductors (Risk Assessment of Diabetic Drivers, RADD).The researchers administered the test to more than 500 drivers with type 1 diabetes in Boston, the center of Virginia and Minneapolis.

They asked the study participants about their "mishaps" when driving.A mishap when driving, according to this study, was a dangerous driving situation that resulted in an accident or that could have resulted in an accident.

The evaluation identified with precision to 61 % of those who had a high risk of driving problems, and 75 % of those who had a low risk of driving problems.

The second part of the study included almost 500 drivers with type 1 diabetes throughout the country who took the online RADD test.According to the study, 372 had a high risk and 118 were considered low risk.
Half of these people then received routine attention, and others were asked to participate in an online intervention.

The objective of the intervention was to anticipate, prevent, detect and treat hypoglycemia.All intervention participants received a car tools kit.It contained a blood sugar monitor, a checklist before driving, a keychain with a traffic light symbol to remind drivers to stop and treat low sugar in the blood if reading was less than 70 milligrams byDeciliter (mg/dl), or of being careful and eating some foods with carbohydrates before driving if it was between 70 and 90. (Below 70 it is considered that it is hypoglycemia).Above 90 mg/dl it is considered to have green light, Cox said.

The kits also contained a fast -acting glucose product, such as tablets or glucose gel.
"Many people with type 1 diabetes did not know how to treat hypoglycemia properly. They eat something with a lot of fat or protein, and that does not make blood sugar increase quickly. If you want a rapid increase in blood glucose, glucose tablets achieve it, "he explainedCox.

He said that people with type 1 diabetes should always have rapid action carbohydrates in the car.
The study found that the intervention tool helped drivers avoid hypoglycemia while driving.

Dr. Joel Zonszein, director of the Diabetes Clinical Center of the Montefiore Medical Center of New York City, said he was happy to see that the study called attention to the subject."It reminds us that people with diabetes should be evaluated individually, taking into account the medical records of each one, in addition to the potential related risks associated with driving, as recommended by the American Diabetes Association (American Diabetes Association)", he said.

But he added that "patients at risk are few, and are limited mainly to older individuals and those who have advanced complications and type 1 diabetes."

Zonszein said he would like people and their driving capabilities to be evaluated by their doctors or by a certified diabetes educator, instead of an online program.

Dr. Minister Sood, endocrinologist at Lenox Hill Hospital, in New York, agreed that it is important that a doctor or a diabetes educator participate in the process.

"Anonymity (an internet evaluation) could be attractive to patients who feel shame or anxiety about their potential risk. But it would be important for a care provider to have access to the results of the evaluation, to keep the patient out of danger"He stated.

Sood also attended that anyone with "diabetes should always have a rapid action carbohydrate or a glucose source in the car for emergencies."

The study appears in a recent online edition of Diabetes Care magazine.

fer's profile photo
fer
04/24/2017 12:04 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

It is something that overwhelms me a lot, I took the card recently and as soon as I notice the slightest symptom of something weird, even if I have a little heat, I already started worrying.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
04/24/2017 12:22 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Well, I don't affect me and lead me a lot.Of course, I check how I go before going out to sleep

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/24/2017 3:51 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I also lead a lot and nothing.
Prior control before leaving
That if glucometer always close and my first aid articles that are.

1 Coca Normal Cola
1 Platano
1 glucose dex4 pills container
1 chocolate bar.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/24/2017 4:15 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

That's why mcg now !!!

Gala's profile photo
Gala
04/24/2017 9:30 p.m.

"Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro"

Afterego said:

1 Coca Normal Cola
1 Platano
1 chocolate bar.

I have nothing more than some sugar, my mother ... You look like a mobile diabetic ICU ;-)
.... driving I am more or less stable when I do not exercise .... I don't get much.On journeys of more than 5 hours, I stop every 2, so I don't see the problem if you leave each with a normal level.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/25/2017 11:40 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I just had what I usually carry in tow with me, sugar and gels but it costs nothing to wear a 500 ml bottle of Coca Normal in the glove compartment for an emergency for the speed and easy assimilation.

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
04/25/2017 12:06 p.m.

ruthbia said:
clarh said:

1 Coca Normal Cola
1 Platano
1 chocolate bar.

I have nothing more than some sugar, my mother ... You look like a mobile diabetic ICU ;-)
.... driving I am more or less stable when I do not exercise .... I don't get much.In journeys of more than 5 hours, I stop every 2, so I do not see the problem if you go out of each with a normal level.

I normally have no need to wear so much but I get used to when I didn't have the CGM and sometimes I caught the occasional hiccups, with the dexcom it is something else and the XDRIP+ that is giving the trends.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
04/25/2017 6:44 p.m.

I carry a juice and some candies of those blandengues that have a sugar stop.At the moment I have not had any scare but being an inexperienced driver, I spent a bit bad when it comes to taking the car.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
04/25/2017 10:01 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

This Friday I am about to make my first trip of almost 11 hours (with diabetes) by car with my husband, we will be turning in driving ... I will tell you .....
But every day I go to motorcycle work and for the moment, no problem, I measure me before taking it and when I get to destination, always attentive in case the application sounds and I have to make a stop.I always wear my glucose pills on.

Cassie's profile photo
Cassie
08/07/2022 5:38 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.