{'en': 'As you explain to a child who is diabetic ...', 'es': 'Como explicas a un niño que es diabetico....'} Image

As you explain to a child who is diabetic ...

aranzazuleg's profile photo   05/23/2017 12:02 p.m.

Hello everyone,

As and when you tell your child that it is not the same as the rest of the children, because my 3 -year -old son told us: that (the bomb) is carried by all young children.

We told him no, that some carry it, but I don't know very well if he understood it, because he has his head like the stones, hahaha .... If he says that they carry it all it is difficult to change it.

It's very small to explain anything, I don't want it to feel different ...

I have tried to connect with people from my city with diabetic children of their age, but nothing, the parents should not wantThat a child knows like him, but it is difficult ... and when he sees that none of the colleagues of the school carries that frog ... I do not want him to do not want to take it ...

He has no compression capacity but he realizes things ..... I don't know how to explain.

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
05/23/2017 12:02 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Good, maybe this can help you, although it is for somewhat older children.
It is a video of the Diabetes Foundation.
Link

All the best

Antonio Mas's profile photo
Antonio Mas
05/23/2017 12:47 p.m.

Dr. Antonio Mas
Esp. en Endocrinología y Nutrición
🔗masendocrino.com
Dime 👋en Twitter

Hi Aranzazuleg, if there is something that affects me is a small child with diabetes, but I feel that I will not be able to help you much, apart from giving you many spirits, since precisely that stage is one of the few that I have not happened, because I hadThe great luck that none of my daughters has developed the disease, although one of them wants to have a child now and we will have to wait to see ...
Something that caught my attention when I entered this forum a few months ago is a phrase that many dads of diabetic children said: "I could have touched me instead of him" and the truth is that he impressed me, they were the same wordsThat my mother said when they diagnosed me there by the year 69, it was how to hear her again.I am sure that if all of you could change for your children, you would be the happiest parents in the world.From here I give recognition and many encouragement to all these parents, who without suffering from the disease, suffer equal or more than us.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
05/23/2017 4:50 p.m.

Hello,
When explaining children according to what things, diabetes or whatever, it is necessary to take into account their evolutionary development moment (there are books of informative psychology where they talk about it in a theoretical-practical way with examples).
In addition, each person, each child is a world: one thing is that we all go through basic stages and have the same basic needs, and another the rhythm of evolution and particular needs and characteristics of each.

So you say that you do not want it to feel different, I think that we are all different (we have rhythms, degrees of sensitivity and perception, interests, tastes, etc.), and that we must teach-to respect us withAll these differences, make them a wealth and not a reason for struggle (neither shame or prestige, neither better nor worse; it is part of life).

That phrase that your child said that all children carry a bomb is typical of that age range;It is in the same style as when your beloved dog is called "Hugo", for example, and use that own name to define all dogs.It is not a child's mistake, it is part of their development, part of how they see and feel the world that surrounds them.

What comes to mind at this time is to explain that to do the things he likes, he has to eat, and that this “bomb” is part of his way of eating, which is what helps food make him feel happyAnd strong, in the same way that other children wear glasses to play with friends, or others need other things.If at any time he feels angry or does not wantThat if an adult referent understands and makes them see, with an example, that also feels similar things, they better transform their negative emotions and make their difficulties better).

Through the game it is as best learned in childhood, so finding or creating a game in which the child feels comfortable and involved can be a good option to explain anything, according to their possibilities of acting andunderstanding and their needs (stories, drawings, situations of situations, etc.).It will not serve much to give it a purely rational speech.

On the other hand, many times, if the reference adults advance events with their concern and anxiety, it is worse for children, who absorb that concern without their elders noticing or accounting.

Encouragement, that surely will do very well :)

Hugs

imara's profile photo
imara
05/23/2017 5:18 p.m.

Go by giving him simple answers as he asked, do not get ahead to explain more because he will not understand, but the children adapt much better than the elderly.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
05/24/2017 12:06 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Yesterday I showed the video of the drawing, and the slide made more funny than the girl looking at glycemia, hahaha ... she is not prepared for much to explain anything, I think I will opt as it says it is going to go little by little and answer herTo what I ask me.

Tb the game is a good option, that I knew how it works and such, but TB has to be greater for that, to see at least 5-6 years.

And the example of the glasses the truth that is very good, because their partners carry and the no, yes, perhaps that is my best asset for when I mention something again, perhaps so understand that he carries that like others wear glasses.

Thank you all !!It's nice to be with people like that, always at the foot of the canyon!:-):-*

aranzazuleg's profile photo
aranzazuleg
05/24/2017 10:13 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.