Work to shifts (afternoons and nights) being diabetia

CEUS's profile photo   06/02/2017 9:28 a.m.

Hello everyone,

A few days ago I have decided to change my job and I go to a company where the schedules will be shifts, that is, I will work a few days in the morning, others in the afternoon and others at night.I am a little worried because I don't know how it will affect my illness.The work will be office.Now I am carrying the diabetes much better and I am afraid that this change of schedules and routine affects my sugar levels.

I would like to know if any of you have been in this situation.Also whether or not, what advice would you give me to carry out my best and that these schedule changes do not affect me.

Greetings and thank you very much in advance,

Cecilia Iglesias

CEUS's profile photo
CEUS
06/02/2017 9:28 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Ceus Hello, here there are many people who work or have worked in shifts and it takes it relatively well, obviously the ideal is to have the most stable time as possible but since this is not always possible, you have to adapt to survive unlessYou have some millions in your current account .. I have been working in shifts included weekends of 12 hours and I have always had hemoglobins around 6.5; you need to make more daily controls than usual but having an office job I don't think I don't thinkHave any problem.Of course, if you can afford a MCG read Dexcom, Guardian Connect or Flash The free freestyle will make things very facilitated in your workday and outside it.

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
06/02/2017 9:40 a.m.

Hello @"ceus"
In this disease as you know everything can affect glucose, but in your case it does not have to do it.I suppose you are type I. If so, except for your time of slow insulin, which is fixed, in the rest of the day you can move hours of food or dinner without any problem, advance or delay them, according to your work schedules.Having this clear, you can adapt to any work quadrant that they put you.Perhaps, to tell you something that can happen to you, you have to specify a pelin the rapid insulin ratios at some time when you now have no habit of eating, but beyond that, little more can affect you.
Above all, the most important thing: tranquility, one of the things that most affects this disease are nerves, no doubt.
Everything will be very good, Cecilia.

JPR's profile photo
JPR
06/02/2017 9:51 a.m.

30 años. Diabetes tipo 1 desde los 10
Medtronic Minimed 640g
NovoRapid
hA1c: 6%
Sensor Enlite

Logically circumstances such as change or shifts affect, but nothing that cannot be coolDo not despair.We already know that one day is not equal to another.Much encouragement

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
06/02/2017 9:59 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

I work in shifts, mornings and afternoons, and now I have caught the guidelines to follow.For me it is complicated, but you get used to it and everything is going well.My work is moved, you move less maybe you have it easier.
@"JPR", if ultrarapid insulin will act at the time and the slow ones were flat, if it would be easier.Working shifts is another extra for our calculating head;)

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
06/02/2017 10:21 a.m.

Hello, thank you all for all the information, really.I hope it goes well and well I can always change if I in the long run I see that it is difficult to carry (hopefully not).What gives me the most is to modify the rhythm of the dream and so but I will have time to control and take care of the sugar.
I will tell you to see ...
And if you have an additional advice I will be super grateful.
It is clear that this disease is a constant challenge.

CEUS's profile photo
CEUS
06/02/2017 12:37 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.