{'en': 'How does retinopathy progress?', 'es': '¿Cómo avanza la retinopatía?'} Image

How does retinopathy progress?

Leticia21's profile photo   06/11/2017 11:10 a.m.

A month ago I started with vision inconvenience in the left eye.It started with a ICT and then the light bothers me and a strange sensation in the eye.

I go to my doctor and tell me that it is not necessary to make the retinography because they did it to me a year ago and it went well.

He insisted that I want to do it because it bothers me a lot and I am worried about diabetic condition.He refers to the ophthalmologist whose date is for February 2018 ... almost nothing but having so much waiting list in the outpatient centers are doing with a machine the retinographies.They give me date for two months, so I decide to go to a private because I can't wait so long.

The private looks at me and says that everything is perfect and the retina is well ... I left quiet ... but that discomfort has gone to more and now I also notice it in the other eye.

The probable that of having nothing more than a month ago now if I have when I do it in Social Security?

Can retinopathy be slight and in the first stage it is not detected ???

Leticia21's profile photo
Leticia21
06/11/2017 11:10 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Well, unless the control in that month had been extremely bad, uncontrolled and that you would have become a hemoglobin of more than 15 and yet and with everything in 1 month it would be very unlikely that a retinopathy appears, since you are appearwith a dilation over time and usually a bad control or for many years of diabetes.Diabetes has the ability to become apprehensive to it, we live with the present complications that anything that escapes a logical sense we associate with diabetes.It is not good to think of the most extreme, but to start with the basics, because of being an allergy, a conjunctivitis, an ulcer, etc ... to think of retinopathy or neuropathy, there is a lot of difference.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
06/11/2017 4:10 p.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

The symptoms you mean are quite nonspecific and do not seem very important.Of course if a year ago the retina was fine, it must remain well unless the control of diabetes has been a disaster for years, and even so, in a young person, retinopathy may take to develop.In any case, it is not a disease that appears from one day to another, so the cases in which it evolves quickly is usually due to shallow studies that consider what is not normal.
I have already commented on occasion that diabetic retinopathy behaves like an iceberg, and we only see a small part of what is happening.Without a doubt, in an apparently normal eye, problems that will face the face in the future can be brewing.Much of these doubts are clarified by AFG (angio spelling with fluorescein), which allows us to visualize what is impossible at first glance.In any case, this is unnecessary when a careful exploration has been made and there are no certain risk factors, among which the most important are: time of evolution of the disease, metabolic control and patient's age.
Finally, not everything that happens in the eye has to be due to diabetes

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
06/11/2017 4:29 p.m.

Hello, how are you, I hope my experience serves you .. I am totally in the forum, but however a rather similar case will happen.Last year I had retinal detachment for diabetic retinopathy .. In January last year I went with particular ophtamologic to graduation of lenses and revision.I had told me that everything was fine ... and in April of the same year I started with problems with the left eye and the days I had the retinal detachment .. in particular if I recommend a second opinion explaining all your symptoms and fears.Since in particular I was very surprised that in such a short time the retinopathy and the ophtamologic that I operate told me the same as the previous comments;They are not things of months, if not of years.

It should be clarified that I am 35 years old, 15 years of diabetes.The first 10 years if it was a total lack of control.At present, my levels are not in the Optics, but I try to keep them the closest (handling levels of 130 -150).

SLDS from Pto. Vallarta.Mexico

gadov's profile photo
gadov
06/26/2017 11:55 p.m.

@"Leticia21" I have a very slight diabetic retinopathy in the right eye and I have no symptoms, as they tell you above, not everything that happens in our body has to do with diabetes.

All the best!

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
06/27/2017 12:54 a.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

Gadov, retinal detachment, is not a consequence of diabetic retinopathy, except in the event that it is traction, which is a terminal phase of the RD.In these cases, a series of fibro-vascular proliferations between the retina and vitreous are formed and end up detaching the retina.What happens is that in that phase, blindness is already inevitable when it has not already occurred.Of course, it is operable but functional recovery is practically nil.
In your case, it is possible that the detachment has co-existed with the RD, but in no case has one been a consequence of the other.In what if I agree is that the RD is not a matter of months but of years, so we can assume that the first review they made was, to call it in affectionate terms, "superficial".
Is it possibleTRATE (MIOPIA MAGNA), or in the presence of certain symptoms that the ophthalmologist has to interpret

Javier Arriaga Sanz's profile photo
Javier Arriaga Sanz
06/27/2017 11:35 a.m.

It reminds me more conjunctivitis than a retinopathy.In the absence of what an ophthalmologist says, which seems quite put, a retinopathy does not give convulsive movements, those tics that you mean, and it does not have to bring a photophobia.That leads me to think of conjunctivitis, and look, since I am "left over", because I call her viral.If it were bacterial I would already be in both eyes, and with Legañas del 7 at least, but you never know.In summary, go to an oculist, tell what you feel, but do not push him to rule out retinopathy, let him work.The same happens to you a few years ago, I changed glasses four times in three months and lost two diopters in each eye.Quite annoying and expensive.And nobody knew how to explain it.

juanluis1957's profile photo
juanluis1957
07/02/2017 2:21 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.