{'en': 'Ketone bodies, why do they occur?', 'es': 'Cuerpos Cetónicos, ¿porque se producen?'} Image

Ketone bodies, why do they occur?

Sorprendido's profile photo   06/14/2018 6:33 p.m.

Hello,

As far as I know, the ketone bodies are produced by two ways:

- With high blood glucose figures, due to lack of insulin, the body burns fats to obtain energy.
- For lack of carbohydrates (HC).

My problem, to which I do not find an explanation, taking the appropriate rations of potato (50 grs, = 1 ration), and with postprandial figures always within range, measured with freestyle, it appears quite acetone in urine ...

It happens to me only with potatoes.

Can anyone explain what can happen to me?

Greetings,

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
06/14/2018 6:33 p.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

It could be a mild defect in basal insulin (although I am surprised by your long experience and your HBA1C).It could also be an infection.From my humility of 29 years with DMT1.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
06/14/2018 7:08 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Urine measures go a few hours late.It depends on when you are looking at them, it may be that you are giving you the values ​​of the night, which is normal to have some ketones when you are fasting even if you eat quite hydrates.That only means that your body is using fat instead of glucose as a source of energy.The ketone bodies are one of the things that occur when metabolizing fats and that different organs use as a source of energy (including brain).It is nothing bad in themselves while they are in normal limits.And except in cases of disease with sufficient insulin, no more ketones are going to be generated than normal to have ketoacidosis.If you have normal glycems, you have enough insulin.
If you can look at the blood that gives you the value of that moment and not one of previous hours.Ask in your health center if you can give you the strips.I think the Free is measured with special strips.They gave them once for an Abbott glucometer.But if you have normal glucose values ​​I would not worry about ketones, nothing happens while you are within normal limits.

The interpretation of blood ketones is as follows:

Less than 0.6 mmol/L: normal or negative.
0.6 - 1.0 mmol/L: slightly elevated.
1.1 - 3.0 mmol/L: Risk of ketoacidosis.
> 3mmol/L: Go to emergency service.

In the urine strips the interpretation will surely come in the box with a color code.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
06/14/2018 7:32 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

I have exposed this doubt here in case something similar happened to someone.I think it has nothing to do with any infection, and yes with a reaction of mine, very particular, therefore, to the H. de C. de las Potatoes.Acetone appears in urine after a very short period.As for what you tell me @Mamarvazq about mild basal insulin defect, I have my doubts, I do not understand the mechanism.
I know that the glycemic index of the potatoes is high, although in my case the bread is superior.
Acetone appears irremediably at the time or hour of taking potatoes.The incomprehensible in my case is that it is not linked to abnormal blood glucose figures.
All the best.

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
06/15/2018 12:53 p.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.