Doubt about the glycemic index.

Amélie's profile photo   08/19/2017 11:16 a.m.

Hello good.I have a question about the carbohydrate index of some foods.
Cooked white rice has a glycemic index of 70, so I would understand that their hydrates rise quite quickly to the blood.However, I do nothing but read in numerous articles, which is considered a slow absorption food.
When I am going to consume a "new" food that I do not know your carbohydrates I usually use this page Link have noticed today that next to the figure indicated by the glycemic index appears another that corresponds to the glycemic load, which would effectively indicate, in this case, that the absorption is slower (the same goes for bread, for example).In short, my question is whether the information that must be taken into account is really that of the cargo load and not that of the glycemic index.Thank you.

Amélie's profile photo
Amélie
08/19/2017 11:16 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The load is the total hydrates, the index the absorption speed

Paulescu's profile photo
Paulescu
08/19/2017 11:21 a.m.

LADA desde 2-2010/ 44 años
Lantus 16 u en tránsito a Toujeo / Novorapid 4/6/5

Short chains, high glycemic index.And vice versa.There are foods with slow absorption polysacarides that break in cooking and shoot the IG: example, carrot.Another example, toasted bread.

Paulescu's profile photo
Paulescu
08/19/2017 11:25 a.m.

LADA desde 2-2010/ 44 años
Lantus 16 u en tránsito a Toujeo / Novorapid 4/6/5

Just after writing to you I found this explanation:
The glycemic load of a food is a value that considers the speed at which blood glucose reaches along with the amount of carbohydrates that contains a usual portion of consumption.That is, it gives us a better forecast of the effect of a food on blood glucose, as we consume it.

Thus, for example, the watermelon that has a high IG, the fact that contains few hydrates by ration makes its glycemic load actually low.

The lower the glycemic load of a food, the less the blood glucose peak will be.

High values ​​are considered those that are above 20, such as raisins, food paste or sugary cereals.They have an average glycemic load, honey, bread or boiled potato.And a low value, less than 10, pineapple, fiber -rich cereals, kiwi or lentils.

Amélie's profile photo
Amélie
08/19/2017 11:26 a.m.

paulescu said:
short chains, high glycemic index.And vice versa.There are foods with slow absorption polysacarides that break in cooking and shoot the IG: example, carrot.Another example, toasted bread.

Ah ... thanks.

Amélie's profile photo
Amélie
08/19/2017 11:28 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.