{'en': 'Bad control, sleepless nights ...', 'es': 'Mal control, noches sin dormir...'} Image

Bad control, sleepless nights ...

Dido's profile photo   07/13/2018 5:59 p.m.

Hello,

Good afternoon, I tell you the matter a bit.By characteristics of my work schedules sometimes I spend nights without sleep, how to undone etc ..., I am diabetic for 4 years, lada type, insulin -dependent.

The fact is that sometimes with three coffees, without eating I planted at 4 in the afternoon, I look at the glucose and I am 250, is that normal?

Can only coffee with coffee so much?

In my case I put it at 3:00 p.m.in the afternoon, 12 units of Toujelo.

Thank you!

Dido's profile photo
Dido
07/13/2018 5:59 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It will be because of the type of milk, the cafe of the bar as it is whole mesuve a lot just a mea coffee leads to 300 by the afternoon and in the morning if I take it with whole milk the same with the skim 170 I take decaffeinated from over with skim milkThat Meda 150-160 2 hours later I took 8 of Tougeo 11 of the night alone

Rocio36's profile photo
Rocio36
07/13/2018 7:12 p.m.

Hello, I would advise you to try to control in some way.Because over the years expectations are not good with bad control.Then if these hours without eating it is normal for you to raise glucose.When you eat the liver stores glucose.When you are not eating, the liver supplies sugar by converting glycogen into glucose into a process called glycogenolysis.Therefore sugar rises.In my case, if I don't have, he arrived high at dinner, if Merando arrived perfect.And then I would say that sugar goes up just by breathing hahaha, also coffee if you drink it alone or with which it will also influence.Well, surely they help you better than me.Greetings

Jess's profile photo
Jess
07/13/2018 7:18 p.m.

You may be short of basal.If you put it at 3 pm and at 4 pm you are high, it may be that you don't have enough basal.
Look to see how you are at 3pm, if the basal covers you 24 hours.And how you are at night ... if you had no declines, maybe it would be fixed with one more toujeo unit ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/13/2018 10:48 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

The coffee is with milk if it goes up.Milk has lactose that is a type of sugar and in my case at least I need insulin for coffee with milk.He only depends, if it is natural, should not upload but if it is torrefacto or the soluble if they usually carry added sugar.I can only take it without problem without affecting glucose.You have to try because not everyone uploads things.It is a matter of getting many controls and pointing everything.
There are also times that go up without much explanation or for nerves, hormones ... It is complicated to see the reasons sometimes.But in your case if you only drink coffee at that time you can first discard that is why and if you just need some basal adjustment.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
07/16/2018 9:29 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Thank you very much for the answers

Dido's profile photo
Dido
08/02/2018 5 p.m.

Hello @"Dido", you will see, I am most of the days only with Toujeo too, and in our case it is very important to keep some schedules in the meals, which you cannot do for your work;People who get basal and fast insulin are not as subject to rigid schedules as us, so maybe you should also get fast.And the 250 are not because of the coffee with milk, there must be something else, and it can also happen to you that it does not eat in time gives you an important descent.It occurs to me that you can do a control before each meal and if you have high glucose values ​​correct with fast, but all this should be consulted before with your endocrine who would have adjusting the doses.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
08/02/2018 6:18 p.m.

@Runing50, flat insulins like Toujeo, do not make a peak that forces to eat at that time, you can have freedom of schedules for that ..
Before with the NPH, it was necessary to eat at the moment when I peak .., and, although we did not put fast, it was a horror for such rigid schedules ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/02/2018 7:43 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

Hello @"regina", effectively to people who are basal and fast do not peak because the basal has only adjusted for that: maintain the basal level acceptably.For those who are alone with basal, or it is because our body still produces insulin or because we have replaced the rapid with the basal, that is, the basal also does the function of the rapid.In my case, for example, the endocrine experienced a little with me, began replacing the fast breakfast units with basal units, and once tight it did it gradually with the other meals.When I delayed a meal I have to take something because if I do not enter hypoglycemia, although it is true that they are much lighter.
In the case of Dido, what I see is that if the basal increases, it can get into hiccups if a meal is delayed too much.
I have never agreed that these slow insulins are called basal, because they are insulin equal but delayed action that are used in most cases to maintain the basal level only.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
08/02/2018 8:19 p.m.

Well, you will have some pancreas reserve, because, very slowly to replace the fast, you would have no night hypos..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/02/2018 8:31 p.m.

I agree with previous comments.In hospitality, special "creamy" milk is used to make that foam.That, together with the usual practice of wearing Torreta to (roasted with sugar coffee instead of natural) makes it shoot.My experience is that same: a coffee with cafeteria milk rises from 100 to 180 quietly.On the other hand, same conditions and time with natural coffee with milk made by me at home does not upload anything.Conclusion: To work I take my brown thermo with milk and take more quantity and feel better.

In addition to this, it also depends on your work.My experience doing sports can illustrate it.When I go on a road bike and do an hour and a half, in the first half hour to 40 minutes the glucose rises instead of going down.At that time I no longer have a fast action and I also put on Tresiba.After that time I start to descend and I must have something (I carry those drinkable yogurts in bag, smoothies and banana) to continue normal.Another experience: I go for a walk at 18:30 without rapid action.I walk about 10 km in time and peak.Well, glucose rises slightly instead of going down.I think the body with low intensity sport reacts by taking glucose of the liver reserve, and since there is no insulin action, it does not exercise enough to spend it.An insulin action is to inhibit the generation of glucose in the liver.On the other hand, after reaching home and dinner, the trend is rather down: exercise increases our insulin sensitivity (we need less insulin to metabolize the same amount of hydrates.

Therefore, I think you should review your activity at work (sitting? Active walking?) And your diet in those hours to make adjustments.No one better than you knows how you work and what foods do you better.If you eat bread or potatoes in fatty foods in previous hours, you may slowly digest them and insulin action does not arrive at those hours later.Do not be afraid to correct with insulin.

I have proven the above thanks to the freestyle sensor combined with XDRIP+ in the mobile that makes it a continuous meter with alerts.In bike I "sing" the values ​​every 5 minutes, so I'm very risks.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/05/2018 10:36 a.m.

Oysters, I didn't know about the torrefact coffee !!!

I am also lada.The slow evolution of diabetes makes every day a surprise.Today, Merformina, tomorrow sulfonylureas (badly done), then slowly and little by little we will end the bowling.

I ask you a question (you will surely answer it)
If I promptly have a post (for example, do I take the post after food and I am 220) do you put a fast dose to lower it?How do you calculate it?(220-120/Sensitivity?)

It is that I so far wait

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
10/15/2018 1:39 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

On the other hand, it occurs that any situation that causes Stress will be accompanied by hormonal alterations.Lack of sleep can surely produce alterations in adrenaline and corticosteroid levels, which will immediately produce an increase in blood glucose.The coffee sure does not improve the problem (pure speculation, huh?)

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
10/15/2018 1:46 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)

Yes, a high post is corrected quickly.
If you put a unit and look at two hours, you know what lowers you.
Normally a fast unit usually goes down 50 glucose, but you have to experiment.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/15/2018 4:56 p.m.

@"Ignasi_P" is as you say in T1 diabetics, which we have no endogenous insulin.In your case I am not sure.What is essential is the calculation of the sensitivity factor, in my case 1U lows me 70 mg.

erpla's profile photo
erpla
10/16/2018 7:06 a.m.

DMT1 desde 1994, Bomba de insulina desde 2016, Freestyle+Miaomiao+Xdrip, última Hemo 5.8%

Thank you very much for the answers.As I tell you, every day is a new discovery !!!
It will be a matter of testing the next time with low doses to see how I respond.

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
10/17/2018 11:35 a.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)

Continuing with the issue of coffee and hyperglycemia on which @dido asked.

In the following link there is an article of the Chilean magazine of Nutrition that, although it does not speak specifically of diabetes, can point in the sense of what I said previously:

Link (Valenzuela A. El Cafe and its effects on cardiovascular health and maternal health. Rev chil chil nour vol. 37, nº4, 2010)

In the article it is literally said: "Caffeine can increase the plasma levels of related hormones
To stress, such as adrenaline, norepinephrine and cortisol, ... the secretion of these hormones is stimulated by caffeine. "

The three hormones have a clear hyperglycemic effect (and are responsible for some of the symptoms we have when we present a hypo).

It would be necessary to know the effect on the glycemia that these sleep alterations would have, which surely affect.

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
10/17/2018 11:54 a.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)

dido said:
hello, Hello,

Good afternoon, I tell you the matter a bit.By characteristics of my work schedules sometimes I spend nights without sleep, how to undone etc ..., I am diabetic for 4 years, lada type, insulin -dependent.

The fact is that sometimes with three coffees, without eating I planted at 4 in the afternoon, I look at the glucose and I am 250, is that normal?

Can only coffee with coffee so much?

In my case I put it at 3:00 p.m.in the afternoon, 12 units of Toujelo.

Thank you!

Hi Dido,

How are you?You have to regulate your life and try to adjust your diet and schedules to the work shifts.
The coffee only does not upload the sugar but you also have to keep in mind what value parties, ... if you get in bed in the morning after having worked at night for example, without breakfast and without insulin and high of course thatThe sugar is not going to lower you and you can upload even more.
It is enough to regulate the sugar having a regular life to introduce more variables.
If you do not see yourself capable of doing your ask for time with your endocrine and make you a planinig with your job shifts. I also work in shifts

begoirina7515's profile photo
begoirina7515
10/28/2018 6:51 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.