{'en': 'Five curiosities about diabetes that you probably do not know', 'es': 'Cinco curiosidades sobre la diabetes que probablemente desconoces'} Image

Five curiosities about diabetes that you probably do not know

fer's profile photo   07/17/2018 10:46 a.m.

Curiosities about diabetes There are many, but in this article we will focus on precise data, which will allow you to know more about the scope of this disease and its development throughout history.

Data and curiosities about diabetes:

1.More than 371 million people suffer from diabetes

Just as you read it, despite being an incurable, but controllable disease, diabetes is a condition present in around 371 million people on the planet, a representative figure of 5% of the world's population.

Of these 371 million people, 5 million live in Spain, that is, 10% of the population of this country suffers from diabetes.For this reason, 8.2% of the health budget is aimed at the treatment of this condition.

2.One in two people suffering from diabetes is unknown

Diabetes, especially in its beginnings, can be an extremely silent disease, so it is a fact that one in two people with this condition does not know that they suffer from it.

The figures for the scope of diabetes in the world is increasing, it has even been shown that every two seconds a person develops this disease, and as we have just read, it is likely that he spends a lot of time ignoring that he suffers it.

3.Woody Allen, Salma Hayek and Maradona suffer from diabetes

Historical characters on the planet like Ernest Hemingway, and Thomas Alva Edison suffered from diabetes.

Also many figures from the world of entertainment and entrepreneurship, such as Argentine footballer Diego Armando Maradona, comedian Jack Benney, the founder of McDonald's Ray Kroc and Woody Allen present or suffered in life of this condition.

4.China is the country with more patients with diabetes

With 92 million people sick of diabetes, China heads the list of countries in which this disease has greater reach.In second place is India with 63 million diabetes patients and in third place, the United States with 24 million.

These figures have alarmed the World Health Organization, who have climbed this disease, categorizing it as a pandemic (world epidemic).

5.90% of diabetics have type 2 diabetes

This means that 90% of people suffering from diabetes are adults.In general, the factors that developed the disease in this population are related to bad eating habits and obesity.

Less than 10% diabetics have type 1 diabetes. It is important to emphasize that caesarean section increases probability, that the baby develops children's diabetes.

Some final curiosities are that it is said that a glass of wine contributes to the control of diabetes, it can also be beneficial to use the application of Gluquo diabetes, developed by Quo Health that helps you monitor your eating habits and lifestyle.

Finally, something that perhaps you do not know about diabetes, is that despite suffering this disease, a healthy lifestyle can even develop, even reaching achievements, as demonstrated by the characters presented at one of the points ofThis article.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/17/2018 10:46 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

The other day I saw on Facebook that British Prime Minister Theresa May came out and a photo with the freestyle on one arm and Trump in the other

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/18/2018 7:32 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@"Ruthbia" Ruthbiala News also impressed me ... and I shared it here :;)

Link

fer's profile photo
fer
07/18/2018 7:58 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Hello, how are they all?That data is very interesting, I was too surprised about Maradona, I didn't know that the guy has diabetes and with the life it leads is really impressive, I don't understand how I lived like this.I would like to know honestly what they think of this article about the keys to a good breakfast: Link rules-para-un-desayuno-saludable-516.html more than everything to know howThis could work in a person suffering from type 1 diabetes.

crin92's profile photo
crin92
07/19/2018 6:40 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

What I do not see is the relationship between caesarean section and children's diabetes 8- |I do not see the reason for a baby born by caesarean section to develop a diabetes.

I have also read that the British prime minister suffers from type 1 diabetes, the first one that was diagnosed, and also type 2 diabetes, which was diagnosed later.

Emily's profile photo
Emily
07/22/2018 7:41 p.m.

Diabetes post quirúrgica desde el 02/03/17, Toujeo, Novorapid, y ahora también metformina después de las comidas.
Freestylelibre 2 desde mediados de diciembre 2021, que me lleva loca.

How can two types of diabetes be lady at the same time?

Emily's profile photo
Emily
07/22/2018 7:45 p.m.

Diabetes post quirúrgica desde el 02/03/17, Toujeo, Novorapid, y ahora también metformina después de las comidas.

@"Emily" The fact that children born by caesarean section is because of the theme of the microbiota.Everything that the microbiota is unknown is still unknown but it is known that it influences the immune system.In childbirth the mother passes part of her bacteria to the child.By caesarean section this does not happen so that he drinks will have a poorer microbiota.Breastfeeding also affects milk also comes part of the mother's bacteria.Children born by caesarean section and non -breastfeeding with breast milk have been seen in many studies that are more likely to develop some diseases.
The two types of diabetes are possible.Type 2 is an insulin residence, much of the time caused by poor diet.A type 1 diabetic can develop insulin resistance just like someone healthy if you have bad habits.That makes you need much more insulin and cost you many more to have good controls.
Although in the case of the news it looks like it is a journalists' mistake.I read the news of an English newspaper and said none of that, I just put that it has type 1.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
07/22/2018 11:45 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

I did not know that of the children born by caesarean section, I know a lot, but many, and they are all healthy, and already adults.I lived for years in Paris, and there it is, or it was, very common for children to be born by caesarean section, the date and time of birth at convenience are accommodated.As for children not breastfed, well, I know the benefits of breastfeeding, but I also defend the bottle.

As for the two diabetes, I am neither type 1 nor type 2;The problem is that I only have 1/3 of pancreas and it is insufficient, and it seems that I am resistant to insulin because I was increasingTake type 2 too.

I take this opportunity to comment that I have seen that you talk about type II as if they were not insulin -dependent, but I know type II diabetics that are if they are, and they are still type II.What is true is that those that I know are only punctuated once every 24h.They do or not diet, and do not take metformin or any other diabetes pill.

Emily's profile photo
Emily
07/23/2018 12:47 a.m.

@"Emily" that nazcas by caesarean section or is not breastfed increases you the probabilities but that does not mean that you will have any problem.There are people with great chances of developing a disease that does not develop it and others with few.In the end they are ballots for the raffle, the more you are more likely but it can touch the one who only has one.
I am not against the bottle, I think it is a personal option of each woman and in many cases in which there are problems there is no other.In that subject I will never judge anyone, every woman has to freely decide what she wants to do.If I think they should give them all the information and support for the option they choose.There are still many places where they look bad at a woman breastfeeding her child when she is the most normal thing in the world, in the works they do not give many facilities to continue breastfeeding when the woman returns to her position, etc.
The type of diabetes is usually associated with type 1 with injections and type 2 with pills but as you say it has nothing to do with the other.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
07/23/2018 10:06 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.