{'en': 'Lack of sleep could cause neurodegeneration in people with diabetes', 'es': 'Falta de sueño podría ocasionar neurodegeneración en personas con diabetes'} Image

Lack of sleep could cause neurodegeneration in people with diabetes

fer's profile photo   07/25/2018 11:38 a.m.

Voluntary sleep deprivation in patients with type 2 diabetes alters the electrical activity of the brain and this could add to the development of mental disorders - neurodegenerations - in the long term, revealed a study carried out through an animal model and that tookcarried out in parallel at the clinical level.

Dr. Ignacio Ramírez Salado, Chief of the Chronobiology and Dream Laboratory of the National Institute of Psychiatry Ramón de la Fuente Muñiz, responsible for the study - clinical and animal -, identified that the lack of adequate sleep processes modify the hypoglycemic process - normal desire andExtreme of the glycemic levels that occur during the night, between 3 and 4 in the morning - and that this in turn decreases electrical activity at the brain level.

The doctor, who is also a level I member of the National System of Researchers (SNI), said that scientific literature reports that patients with diabetes - especially those with type 2 - have their period of sleep elongated, that is, they have veryGood proportions of sleep since they sleep between seven and eight hours per day.

"It also described a decrease in sleep in slow waves - youAround that knowledge we set out to perform an analysis of electric biossengers - speechless spectrum - in the central nervous system. ”

Through this analysis, he documented that even when the disease is not associated with insomnia processes, those patients who perform a voluntary sleep deprivation experience a process of slowing the electroencephalogram, that is, low voltage spindles during phase 2 of sleep (Characteristic phenomenon of Alzheimer's dementia) and slow and high voltage alpha rhythm during vigil periods with closed eyes.

Diabetes in Mexico

The National Media Health and Nutrition Survey reports an increase in the prevalence of diabetes in the Mexican population, which went from 9.2 percent in 2012 to 9.4 percent;Meanwhile, worldwide, the World Health Organization (WHO) reports that diabetes affects approximately 347 million people.

"These voltage variations could alter some structures of the limbic system such as the hippocampus," said memory, "causing them to have poor electrographic patterns.This is something that has already begun to be described in international literature as type 3 diabetes, that is, a stage of neurodegeneration as a result of type 2 diabetes, particularly night hypoglycemia. ”

How did those conclusions reach?

The first step, given a year that started the project, was to form a group of patients with type 2 diabetes between 40 and 70 years of age;That group was subdivided according to the time that patients added with diabetes - 10 -year -old periods - and the information obtained from their power spectra was contrasted with that of the control group, that is, patients without diabetes.

"In the case of the control group, conventional glucometer tests were carried out on the registration night and were reinforced with glycosylated hemoglobin tests to ensure that they did not have prediabetes or even not diagnosed diabetes."

The researcher explained that to obtain the power spectrum measurements, patients are cited between 8 and 9 at night and eight hours of their dream are recorded, that is, they sleep in the laboratory institute.

“During the night, after blood glucose tests, patients are placed a series of superficial electrodes in the head that record their electrical activity at the brain level, which issubsequently analyzed to determine the power spectrum.At the same time in that process, the blood sugar level is once again at dawn. ”

The protocol adds a year of work because it was thought for 40 patients with diabetes and 40 control patients - in both cases with a 50 percent gender balance - and at the moment 20 patients have been recorded, so the reported results are stillPreliminary, they are even in the production stage of a scientific article with them.

In parallel, the same study is running with an animal model - straight - to which type 2 diabetes was generated from an injury in the pancreas to stop insulin.In that study they have also documented very unfavorable electrical patterns that could lead them to the neurodegeneration of the hippocampus, affecting their memory and learning processes.

“Indirectly, in animals we are observed how high blood sugar values ​​produce alterations of electrical activity in the hippocampus.In this case, sugar values ​​are very high, we have records from 280 to 400, and this data is relevant because it allows us to strengthen the hypothesis that the same can be happening with humans even when we do not have those glucose values ​​”.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/25/2018 11:38 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I am type 1 and I think it also happens to me hahaha, the lack of sleep being a man and having nor neuron working as it produces the same thing that they comment, so I go at work as I go hahaha, well since I have dexcom sleep more that more thatIf as the thing does not go well I do not sleep.
Luckily we sometimes take it with humor.Tomorrow I take this article to the boss.

jconegar's profile photo
jconegar
07/25/2018 9:27 p.m.

Miembro del equipo moderador del foro.

Ultima prueba realizada:
Maratón San Petesrburgo (Rusia)
https://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/07/maraton-san-petersburgo-rusa-42195-mts.html

Prueba deportiva Ruta de las Fortalezas.
http://luchojuntoamidiabetes.blogspot.com/2019/05/ruta-de-las-fortalezas-2019-54700.html

Facebook: Jorge Moto
Usuario Dexcom G6 y microinfusora Tandem T: Slim X2 Basal IQ

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.