{'en': 'My insulin has no effect', 'es': 'Mi insulina no hace efecto'} Image

My insulin has no effect

celestemz's profile photo   08/13/2018 11:06 p.m.

Hello everyone!

In addition to not being living my best months next to type 1 diabetes that I have been with me since the age of 7, I decided to start a better way despite how much it costs me, with a better diet and other issues.

But I am facing a problem with which I do not know what to do, use the same insulin since they diagnosed me (Levemir and Novo Rapid) and yet I feel that it is not taking effect !!!

To give them an example of the situation I tell you how my day was today: I woke up with 314, I ate a slice of whole wheat and home cente.18 at night) and 2 hours later I found a blood glucose of 446.

Totally misunderstood!

I would love to listen to their experiences and advice, I have thought of changing insulin but I'm afraid.

What do you think?

Is that a good idea or would the basal increase more?(Approximate 62kg weight)

Thank you so much!!

celestemz's profile photo
celestemz
08/13/2018 11:06 p.m.

DT1 desde los 7 años, debut el 2007.
Ultima glico 10,4 (Mayo 2018)
Insulina Novo Rapid y Levemir
Argentina

In summer there are days that also seems to me that insulin becomes water.

And when I'm 300 first I correct, I wait to go down a little and then like.When we are at those levels, it is very likely that we have ketone bodies in the blood and the body costs more to lower the glucose.

Or I puncture much more than normal and I wait half an hour or an hour.Although I do not usually be hungry at those levels.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
08/13/2018 11:53 p.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Hello!I think the same as @"sherpa41", if you are at 300, is it first to correct that value, with three?fast.And once corrected, put the fast units necessary for hydrates.
It seems normal to me what happened to you, you have not put enough quick.
Do you get novorapid before each meal?

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/14/2018 12:25 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Well, in addition to correcting that high value .... Before changing basal insulin you should control well with levemir.I have used it 3 years and when putting in 2 doses better facilitates in control than toujeo or threeiba that are United.
What is your insulin sensitivity factor?I mean how many mg/dl does a dose of novorapid go?

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/15/2018 1:06 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

@Alberto1123 I doubt that you have cured the diabetes to anyone

mjsm's profile photo
mjsm
08/19/2018 9:49 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Forgetting the unfortunate comment of Alberto1123 that is out of place to sell smoke, the best thing to control it is to have information.Celeste: I suggest that you do not make drastic changes without consulting with your endocrin@.Medical staff is the only one who must make these changes.
Another thing is why these changes are being produced.For your age, seniority with diabetes and gender I would like to value the possibility of explaining it due to hormonal changes of adolescence in a broad sense.It is a time when hormones walk and play bad passes.
Another option is stress.Since I control myself with a freestyle sensor (it values ​​to try it, it changes you as you can master the glycemic curves combined with a blucon and the XDRIP app for mobile) I have been able for example of clicking on and waiting for the necessary time until it falls from high levels toacceptable before starting to eat.I also learned the importance of waiting time sometimes, either from the injection or since the beginning of hydrates.The Apidra begins to act after about 15-20 minutes.The same goes for HC of high glycemic index.Even the glucose gel is not so instantly detected in interstitial measurements (it takes a little less capillaries, but the 10 minutes there is no one who takes them off).Hence that rule of 15-15 (15 GR glucose and wait 15 min to value).Stress can cause it to rise like a rocket without eating HC (things of hormones, stress means danger and the body demands glycogen to the liver).I have been able to check it in own meats.Even curious case, vacations without apparent stress and see how it goes up uncontrollably makes it upload more and endure up for more than you run with 2-3 quickly.Given that only to correct, wait and exercise intense.

Insulin sensitivity can be improved with exercise.Regular practice causes the body to activate and use blood glucose and use body fat and liver reserve if necessary.That activates the sensitivity for insulin because the body "needs" metabolize HC quickly.So regular exercises is basic.

Finally, I want to attract attention to the type of HC we eat.My experience with Freestyle led me to decide not to eat HC of white flours.Although you say you ate homemade whole bread (well done, the, whole wheat bread has a lower glycemic index and makes it less peak), you do not say what there were food before that episode.I can assure you that I have had episodes like yours caused by HC of white flines and I have seen it very clear in the peak that gives in the freestyle.My advice: Low HC dinners and no HC of white flines at dinner.Adjust the rapid depending on that intake.

And do not discourage you: at your age I had less information and knowledge than we have today.After bad years and effort for good control, I can be proud of not having complications after more than 30 years of evolution.If now I even make road bike! Something unthinkable for me 5-6 years ago.You are young, so try to be the doctor of your body: a daily registration book will help you understand that it works and not in your case.Look at 10 minutes between injection and HC intake when you have between 110-90 and you will see that it is going well.With more than 120 wait more (test to increase from 5 in 5 min).With between 80-90, eat and get on at the same time.With less than 80, it begins eating the HC that you were going to ingest that they are the largest glycemic index (fruit, for example) and continue with dinner, get through 6-10 minutes of the first intake assessing with capillary to see what you are uploadingand it varies this time depending on how low it was.

In summary, we are smarter than diabetes and we can control it with information to make the right decisions.Courage, yesI could, anyone can.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
08/19/2018 11:14 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Thanks for the fact to both ( @"sherpa41") !!I will start trying to divide the corrections when my values ​​are high.Regarding the other question, I apply insulin before eating only if my values ​​are above 200, because after some episodes of severe hypoglycemia that I have had, I have a little fear of the corrections and my doctor also recommends doing so.

celestemz
08/26/2018 4:48 p.m.

Argentina

A dose of novorapid lowers me approximately 50 mg/dl.For the dose of the Levemir that I put 2 doses a day I guided myself for this unit per kg but the truth is that in the last time I come as varying the doses a lot for all this that I do not work with the measurements.Anyway, what I comment at the beginning is approximate, is there any way to calculate my sensitivity factor?

ruthbia said:
because in addition to correcting that high value .... Before changing basal insulin you should control well with levemir.I have used it 3 years and when putting in 2 doses better facilitates in control than toujeo or threeiba that are United.
What is your insulin sensitivity factor?I mean how many mg/dl you low a dose of novorapid?

celestemz
08/26/2018 4:51 p.m.

Argentina

Yeah!I have taken into account the hormonal factor and good as you say, stress is also something to consider this year since the university begins.The freestyle sensor could use it 2 times and it was an excellent tool, my values ​​had stabilized a lot and felt a thousand times safer to be able to measure myself constantly and see the trends in turn, but good as my social work I have not covered itthat chooses to continue with the reactive strips.Although I hope that in proximity I can return to him!
I will incorporate the question of any white flours at dinner, I have been touring my measurement notebook and the mornings that I wake up high are generally because the night before there were white flours involved.This last time also began to incorporate other types of flours such as almonds, oatmeal, rye and others, and because of its low glymic index I had very good results !!
I thank you very much for your dedication and the message, I appreciate it

mloureiro said:
forgetting the unfortunate comment of Alberto1123 that is out of place to sell smoke, the best thing to control it is to have information.Celeste: I suggest that you do not make drastic changes without consulting with your endocrin@.Medical staff is the only one who must make these changes.
Another thing is why these changes are being produced.For your age, seniority with diabetes and gender I would like to value the possibility of explaining it due to hormonal changes of adolescence in a broad sense.It is a time when hormones walk and play bad passes.
Another option is stress.Since I control myself with a freestyle sensor (it values ​​to try it, it changes you as you can master the glycemic curves combined with a blucon and the XDRIP app for mobile) I have been able for example of clicking on and waiting for the necessary time until it falls from high levels toacceptable before starting to eat.I also learned the importance of waiting time sometimes, either from the injection or since the beginning of hydrates.The Apidra begins to act after about 15-20 minutes.The same goes for HC of high glycemic index.Even the glucose gel is not so instantly detected in interstitial measurements (it takes a little less capillaries, but the 10 minutes there is no one who takes them off).Hence that rule of 15-15 (15 GR glucose and wait 15 min to value).Stress can cause it to rise like a rocket without eating HC (things of hormones, stress means danger and the body demands glycogen to the liver).I have been able to check it in own meats.Even curious case, vacations without apparent stress and see how it goes up uncontrollably makes it upload more and endure up for more than you run with 2-3 quickly.Given that only to correct, wait and exercise intense.

Insulin sensitivity can be improved with exercise.Regular practice causes the body to activate and use blood glucose and use body fat and liver reserve if necessary.That activates the sensitivity for insulin because the body "needs" metabolize HC quickly.So regular exercises is basic.

Finally, I want to attract attention to the type of HC we eat.My experience with Freestyle led me to decide not to eat HC of white flours.Although you say you ate homemade whole bread (well done, the, whole wheat bread has a lower glycemic index and makes it less peak), you do not say what there were food before that episode.I can assure you that I have had episodes like yours caused by HC of white flines and I have seen it very clear in the peak that gives in the freestyle.My advice: Low HC dinners and no HC of white flines at dinner.Adjust the rapid depending on that intake.

And do not discourage you: at your age I was lessInformation and knowledge of what we have today.After bad years and effort for good control, I can be proud of not having complications after more than 30 years of evolution.If now I even make road bike! Something unthinkable for me 5-6 years ago.You are young, so try to be the doctor of your body: a daily registration book will help you understand that it works and not in your case.Look at 10 minutes between injection and HC intake when you have between 110-90 and you will see that it is going well.With more than 120 wait more (test to increase from 5 in 5 min).With between 80-90, eat and get on at the same time.With less than 80, it begins eating the HC that you were going to ingest that they are the largest glycemic index (fruit, for example) and continue with dinner, get through 6-10 minutes of the first intake assessing with capillary to see what you are uploadingand it varies this time depending on how low it was.

In summary, we are smarter than diabetes and we can control it with information to make the right decisions.Courage, if I could, anyone can.

celestemz
08/26/2018 5:01 p.m.

Argentina

@"Celestemz", yes a fast unit Ding you go 50 glucose, that is your sensitivity factor, to correct when you are high
You say you don't get fast before meals, that's why you have the climbs later.
Adjusting the fast before meals and measuring later, for more security, you could avoid both hyper and hypos., At least those due to meals.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/26/2018 6:51 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Well, you almost have it :)

If after 3 hours you are above 190-200, you can put 1ud quickly to lower at normal values ​​80-140 mg/dl.
Do not change the basal for 3 days to see how to act.I guess the highest dose of Levemir you put it at night and the reinforcement at 12-14 hours.If you are high when you get rid of below 140, it is normalThe time because it is not difficult to know what the right solution is.This is proof and error.Check it with your endocrine.
Anyway, we all have bad seasons.You have to try to minimize them.
Surely you get it.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/26/2018 11:35 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.