How do you cause diabetes in laboratory mice?

Erty's profile photo   12/15/2017 1:33 p.m.

The origin of diabetes does not end up knowing how in so many other diseases.But in laboratories, they do know how to cause those same diseases to mice to experiment with them later.For celiacism, for example, they introduce parasites in the intestine, and quickly arises.

I imagine that the first way was to overcome sugar.But that takes time and a mouse should not live much.Today they must do it faster.
Knowing how they do it in them, we can think of us.In type 1 diabetes, the immune system is at permanent war with something that these mice may know and we still, no.

If you find out something, you can put it here (especially if you work in a laboratory).Let's see if we get something clear.

Erty's profile photo
Erty
12/15/2017 1:33 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hi @erty:
I think it must be something that attacks the beta cells of the mice (which destroys them) and something more to modify (or cancels) their immune system (such as immunosuppressants or something).

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
01/11/2018 7:10 p.m.

Hi @erty:
I include an extract of the summary of a very old scientific study (2007) but that can be used to start investigating ( Link
=============================
Type 1 diabetes

After the discovery of insulin, the availability of animal models for the study of the pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes was delayed, however, another 50 years.One of the first models was induced experimental insulitis by administration of insulin preparations in various animal species.These types of models reproduced the morphological findings of insulitis, but rarely induced hyperglycemia.Later, in mice, diabetes descriptions arrived with a possible immune component after infection with the encephalomiocarditis virus, as well as after the administration of multiple low -dose doses, which induced both insulitis and hyperglycemia.

mamarvazq
01/11/2018 7:44 p.m.

A very illustrative video:
Link

mamarvazq
01/25/2018 7:59 p.m.

Erty said:
The origin of diabetes does not end knowing how in so many other diseases.But in laboratories, they do know how to cause those same diseases to mice to experiment with them later.For celiacism, for example, they introduce parasites in the intestine, and quickly arises.

I imagine that the first way was to overcome sugar.But that takes time and a mouse should not live much.Today they must do it faster.
Knowing how they do it in them, we can think of us.In type 1 diabetes, the immune system is at permanent war with something that these mice may know and we still, no.

If you find out something, you can put it here (especially if you work in a laboratory).Let's see if we get something clear.

Good morning,
There are several models of animals that generate diabetes, for example rats: bio-overing and long-evans tokushima.
The most famous mouse that generates type 1 diabetes is the NOD mouse, which would be Spanish translated would be non-object diabetic mouse.This mouse generates the disease as in humans (autoimmune attack on beta cells).This mouse model emerged unexpectedly in the 80s, and today is used to study the origin or mechanisms involved in the pathogenesis of this disease.
There is also another way to induce diabetes to a mouse and is by providing chemical substances such as Aloxan or Retptozotocin.These substances bind to the DNA of beta cells and cause their death, so diabetes is generated.
I hope I have resolved your doubt;)

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/22/2019 10:20 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.