{'en': 'They link cannabis with serious complications in type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Vinculan el cannabis con complicaciones graves en diabetes tipo 1'} Image

They link cannabis with serious complications in type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   11/08/2018 11:48 a.m.

A recent study suggests that people with type 1 diabetes may be more likely to develop potentially fatal complications when they consume cannabis.

The researchers surveyed 450 patients with type 1 diabetes in Colorado, where cannabis is legal for medical and recreational use.About 30 percent of the participants consumed cannabis.

Compared to non -consumers, cannabis consumers had approximately twice as risk of suffering a serious complication, known as diabetic ketoacidosis, which develops when blood sugar rises too much time and the body produces high levels of known acidsLike ketones.If not, ketoacidosis can cause severe dehydration, swelling in the brain, coma and death.

high ketones, mortals

It is possible that the vomiting caused by the prolonged use of cannabis can cause dehydration that can increase ketones and ketoacidosis in people with type 1 diabetes, explained viral Shah, main author of the study, of Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes at theUniversity of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus In Aurora.
"Diabetic ketoacidosis is an emergency and the patient with diabetes should go to emergency if it has symptoms"

"High ketones can be potentially mortal if they are not treated in time, and patients may have nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, lack of breath and, rarely, confusion or alteration of consciousness," Shah said by email."Diabetic ketoacidosis is an emergency and the patient with diabetes should go to emergency if it has symptoms."
The condition is usually treated with intravenous fluids to hydrate the body and replace electrolytes and insulin to control blood sugar.

blood sugar level dangerously high

Study participants generally had poorly controlled diabetes, according to hemoglobin blood A1C (HBA1C), which reflect the average blood sugar levels for approximately three months.Generally, people with type 1 diabetes are recommended to maintain their HBA1C levels below 6.5 percent.
Participants who consumed cannabis in the study had an average A1C readings of 8.4 percent, which represents a level of dangerously high blood that can increase the risk of heart attacks, strokes, renal insufficiency, blindness, amputations and death.

Users who did not consume cannabis had an average A1C readings of 7.6 percent, even higher than ideal, but not as dangerous as the levels for people who consumed marijuana.

fer's profile photo
fer
11/08/2018 11:48 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I totally disagree with this news.The consumption of THC does not raise blood glucose levels, that is false from beginning to end, it does not make you vomiting, the phrase that says "It is possible that the vomiting caused by the prolonged use of cannabis can cause dehydration that dehydration thatIt can increase ketones and ketoacidosis in people with type 1 diabetes, what delirium is this?Cannabis doesn't make you vomiting.Fer, I don't know where you have taken this news but I think that he has written it is an inept xD

And let it know that I am not doing at all apology for the consumption of cannabis that I see you come!

Greetings.

nigiri's profile photo
nigiri
11/08/2018 3:07 p.m.

DM1 desde 1990 - Fiasp y Toujeo - HG: 6,1

nigiri said:
I totally disagree with this news.The consumption of THC does not raise blood glucose levels, that is false from beginning to end, it does not make you vomiting, the phrase that says "It is possible that the vomiting caused by the prolonged use of cannabis can cause dehydration that dehydration thatIt can increase ketones and ketoacidosis in people with type 1 diabetes, what delirium is this?Cannabis doesn't make you vomiting.Fer, I don't know where you have taken this news but I think that he has written it is an inept xD

And let it know that I am not doing at all apology for the consumption of cannabis that I see you come!

Greetings.

Nigiri agree.The symptoms associated with cannabis consumption as described in the article are not common, although exceptionally in sensitive people.Another thing is that those who have an excessive consumption of cannabis have disorderly and little healthy lifestyle habits as a consequence of addiction which is obviously fatal for diabetes.
Again it is to take the radish for the leaves, if an addict to cannabis is diabetic or the root of its inability to adhere to medical treatment or any attempt to control diabetes is condemned to failure.
As we all know, self -control demands huge doses of knowledge, self -discipline, self -esteem, and resistance to frustration.Now see and tell an addict to some substance, whatever this is.
To which the issue of cannabis addiction is interested in this link, you can download the following PDF:
"From neurolobiology to psychosociology of cannabis use-abuse"
J. Bobes, A. Calafat

Link

A hug to all

uma's profile photo
uma
11/09/2018 10:49 a.m.

DM1 desde 1967-
Tresiba 12 - Novorapid: 4-6-2 última Hemo: 5,9
FreeStyle Libre 2 desde noviembre 2020

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.