{'en': 'The first closed handle hybrid system in type 1 diabetes arrives in Spain', 'es': 'El primer sistema híbrido de asa cerrada en diabetes tipo 1 llega a España'} Image

The first closed handle hybrid system in type 1 diabetes arrives in Spain

fer's profile photo   12/14/2018 9:42 a.m.

This system, launched by Medtronic, automates and customizes the administration of basal insulin 24 hours a day María Vila, general director of Medtronic Iberia.

Medtronic launches in Spain the first closed handle hybrid system that automates and customizes basal insulin administration 24 hours a day.

This new system obtained the approval of the European Commission (CE) in June 2018 for the treatment of people with type 1 diabetes from the age of seven, and currently has underway studies to expand the indication to higher population ranges.

Closed handle hybrid system for type 1 diabetes manufactured by Medtronic.

This system has the most precise continuous glucose monitor (CGM) that the company has developed, and with a single software in the market, capable of predicting hypoglycemia by 30 minutes in advance and automatically stop the administration of insulin, insulin administration,avoiding a large number of these events.

These technologies work together to adapt the administration of basal insulin every five minutes according to the glucose values ​​indicated by the sensor, which helps reduce glycemic variability, increasing the time that the person with diabetes is within an adequate range (timeAfter the target range of 70-180mg/dl or 3.9 mmol/l).

“From the CE decision, we have been working to guarantee the preparation of the market throughout Europe and the proper training of both health professionals and our employees.We are proud to make this technology available to thousands of people with diabetes that can change their lives, "says Federico Gavioli, vice president of the Medtronic Diabetes Group in the European, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region.

Advantages of the Medtronic Tool

According to the Spanish Diabetes Federation, 1,100 new cases of type 1 diabetes are diagnosed every year. This pathology has annual costs of more than 23,000 million euros.In the United States, there are more than 100,000 people with diabetes that are currently users of the new system and the analyzes show that they are experiencing a significant improvement in the time that pass within an adequate range of blood glucose, which is a better glucose control of glucose.
"This technology can change the lives of people with diabetes"

“The ability of this new technology to stabilize glucose levels automatically with the aim of helping to improve time in rank, has a significant potential for the life of patients, both from a clinical perspective and for their quality of life.We are proud to offer this innovative therapy that allows the most advanced level of automation available in the market and provides some relief in the constant management and treatment of diabetes, "said María García, director of the Medtronic Iberia diabetes group.

fer's profile photo
fer
12/14/2018 9:42 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I do not trust something that changes you only the insulin that administers you (if I have understood well and that is what it does).The sensors are not yet precise enough to trust.In the case of a good hypo prediction because the risk is not much if it is wrong but to change basal based on what the sensor says I do not see it clear.

With regard to all this I recommend a documentary about medical devices that is quite afraid.The FDA requirements to approve a medical device have many gaps and let devices that have caused very serious health problems to many patients and that have not even retired after that.Basically you can get devices without serious studies that support your safety and efficacy.In Europe I do not know if the same occurs or more strict protocols are followed but of course it is something to take into account the new devices that come to the market.

The documentary is called "The dark side of the scalpel," is in Spanish in Netflix and I don't know if it can be seen elsewhere.It is highly recommended not to trust everything that goes on the market even if the doctor tells you that it is wonderful.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
12/14/2018 1:51 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.