My experience with inhaled insulin AFREZZA

Inday's profile photo   01/27/2018 12:24 a.m.

Hello everyone,

I have not wrote here but a week ago that I am testing the inhaled insulin Affzza and although I know that it is not sold out of the US I wanted to tell you my impressions about it in case someone is interested in:

1) It is really fast reaching its maximum power at 15 minutes of inhaling.Since I am really using it I have not had any peak in the first hour and a half after having eaten (later yes, see point 5)

2) Being so fast, it would have to inhale it as soon as you start eating or even up to 20 or 30 minutes later in the case of slow absorption meals

3) When starting to act so quickly also stops working long before Novorapid.In my case, I can say that at the time and a half of having inhaled it, I have nothing left in the body.

4) This last point has made my hypoglycemia between meals very markedly reduced.

5) The negative point that it is so fast is that many times at 2 hours of having eaten you may need another dose of Afrrezza to avoid 1 peak, especially if it is a meal with enough fat and/or protein.In these cases, having a bomb, what I do is put 1 unit or that of novorapid when you have eaten to counteract this climb.

6) On the dose issue, it comes in doses of 4, 8 or 12 units but cannot really be compared to the units of "traditional" insulin.The Affzza units are much more flexible.From my personal experience, 4u of Afrrezza equals a dose of up to 4 novorapid units, this means that if for 1 food I had put 1, 2, 3 or 4
Novorapid units with AFREZZA INHALO 1 4U cartridge.If I had put 5 units (or more) and step to the 8u cartridge.Although it is hard to believe it does not give me 1 hiccups if I inhale 4U for a meal that requires me 1U of novorapid.

7) For corrections, this insulin is simply fantastic, if I am in 200 4u de Affra

In general I am quite happy with this insulin, it seems to me that even if it is only for meals away from home (for not having to put the insulin at least 15 minutes before) and for the
fast corrections is very worth it

Inday's profile photo
Inday
01/27/2018 12:24 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Inday !!What opinion does your endocrine have in relation to this type of insulin?And I have read about respiratory problems as a side effect of inhalation, what do you know about this?
Do you have type 1 or 2 diabete?
Do you live in the US?
I hope not having asked many questions.
Thank you!!

Dani Se's profile photo
Dani Se
01/27/2018 3:27 a.m.

Soy DANIELA, mamà de Tomás de 8 años. Con tresiba 9u y lispro en comidas desde mayo 2017 . Iport y free+miao miao2 con xdrip y nigthscout .
Argentina

@Dani76 It was my endocrine that recommended me trying.He told me that he has a couple of fellow endocrine type 1 who had spoken wonders of her.AFREZZA is totally safe unless you smoke or have respiratory problems which is not my case.Anyway before prescribing it you have to pass a test that measures the lung function that in principle you have to repeat every 6 months.
I live in the US and I am Type 1

Inday's profile photo
Inday
01/27/2018 5:50 a.m.

In my country, the few news about Affraza are not positive, there are some who say it was withdrawn from the market x not to have lis businesses, but all are from past years, I do not find current.
How good you are working!
But it is not clear to me about the units, it is not very precise x what I read, my son for breakfast applies 2.5u, I do not know how it would be with the aprises.
I'm glad it's working!

Dani Se's profile photo
Dani Se
01/27/2018 2:30 p.m.

Soy DANIELA, mamà de Tomás de 8 años. Con tresiba 9u y lispro en comidas desde mayo 2017 . Iport y free+miao miao2 con xdrip y nigthscout .
Argentina

Then it will be very good for breakfast.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
01/28/2018 10:30 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Very interesting inday what you explain.I find it very curious to combine the bomb with AFREZZA, but it really makes a lotWith a bolus of the pump.

dani76 said:
In my country the few news about Afrrezza are not positive, there are some who say it was withdrawn from the market x not to have lis Effects buspast, I can't find current.

Is it possible that you are reading news from another inhaled insulin attempt that was called exubera?That was removed 11 years ago if I remember correctly.

EndocrinaAntiNewAge's profile photo
EndocrinaAntiNewAge
02/16/2018 8:21 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.