Insulin pump or continuous glucose monitoring?

Kallens's profile photo   02/21/2018 5:16 p.m.

Hello well I have seen these two devices for the future and my doubt is whether the insulin pump what is its function?I mean that if you do the same thing that you have to put the carbohydrates on the machine and the dose is given by the machine?Or does it have anything to do it unique?

Kallens's profile photo
Kallens
02/21/2018 5:16 p.m.

DM1 - 18/01/18
HbA1c - Aun no
Lantus 22u Mañana y 2 en la noche
Novorapid 6-12 Unidades (varia, no suelo pasar de 10 U)

Those who have used it can better clarify doubts but I tell you what I know.
The insulin bomb does not put the dose automatically, you have to do it.It gives you an approximate calculation of what you are going to need according to the rations that you tell you that you are going to eat based on your previous data, but it is always the user who makes the final decision that dose injected you.
The main advantage of the pump is that you can make many more adjustments than with bolis.For example you can have several different basal (slow) sections.Although in the pump it is not used slowly (it is all fast) she is injecting you x units from time to time to simulate a slow.Normally we do not need the same amount of basal 24 hours a day, so with the bolis you can make the case that at certain times it goes up or falls because your body needs more or less slowly than you have put yourself.With bolis it is a dose for 24 hours (or 2 depending on the insulin you use) and you cannot upload it or lower it without affecting the whole day or at 12 hours of effect of some slow ones.For example, for the phenomenon of ALBA with a pump, a higher basal section is easily configured and bolis there is no simple solution.Also to do sports you can download the basal a little earlier to prevent hypoglycemia and not have to be eating all the time.
The main disadvantage that I see is that you have to always take it connected to the body and according to your lifestyle it can be uncomfortable.That is already a personal issue, I would not put it to me that it was the only way to get good control.But there are people who do not imply a major problem carrying it.It must be valued for each case taking into account the advantages and disadvantages.

As for continuous glucose monitors I think they are most useful to improve control.The bad thing is that they are expensive and are not yet financed everywhere for everyone.If you can afford it I recommend it.Having the graphics of the whole day helps a lot to make decisions and see how the different meals, exercise, etc. affect you, etc.I have been using the Free Style for a while and when I don't have it, I feel blind only with blood controls and that I have very flat graphics.But it's like something is missing.

I think that before considering insulin bomb you should wait a bit with bolis to learn because the pump needs to know how to count very well hydrates, adjust insulin, etccontrol.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/21/2018 5:46 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Well, if I carry my glycemia, no more arrivals of 100 then I don't have the bomb in mind, I also think it is a long time to improve (I imagined it as practically an artificial pancreas hahaha, but if you get almost the same attention asWith bolis, I will have to wait but the monitoring freestyle as you say I also had it since it would know what types of carbohydrates give at a certain time and which not etc15 min something like that then my question is if it is also complemented with the glucometer to be more accurate in specific cases of hypos or hyper?

Kallens's profile photo
Kallens
02/21/2018 8:52 p.m.

DM1 - 18/01/18
HbA1c - Aun no
Lantus 22u Mañana y 2 en la noche
Novorapid 6-12 Unidades (varia, no suelo pasar de 10 U)

https:/5Insulin-for-Diabetes-Tipo-1/Que-Is-A-Bomba-De-Insulina-2/- @"Kallens"

solaria's profile photo
solaria
02/21/2018 8:54 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

You have a thread in which you talk about Free Style that there is a lot of information.Normally it usually gives values ​​almost the same as in blood but if it is going down or climbing very fast there are differences because as you say it goes about 15 minutes late.The good thing is that it indicates the trend that is very useful.If you are in 80 and go down then you can avoid hiccups when you notice symptoms and do not come down.And hyper the same, if you are in 160 and climbing without active fast it is a good time to correct and prevent it from rising a lot.In any case, this must always be confirmed with blood in case it is giving erroneous values ​​by default of the sensor or whatever (sometimes it happens).But usually you avoid clicking on your fingers and leaves it only for specific moments in which the free knows that it does not give you the exact value because it is changing abruptly or what it tells you does not correspond to your symptoms.I have had some that suddenly begins to give 50 or 60 values ​​below what I really have.It gives me that I am in 40 or what is less than 40 how much I am in 90 - 100 in blood.When I see a very low value and I have no hiccup symptoms I always do in blood before doing anything.Sometimes after a while it works well but sometimes it always gives those values ​​below.If at 12 hours I still call customer service to indicate that they are going wrong and they send you a new one.If anything similar always keeps the defective sensor because they will ask you to send it to you.
After using several sensors you will see how it behaves and when to pay attention to it and when not.Enter the free thread and read the comments of the people that there is a lot of useful information that will help you.

Link

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/22/2018 10:44 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

To know if a sensor works or not correctly does not have to match the value of the capillary with that of interstitial glucose, since that is sometimes quite complicated and it is not so important that it does (if it is true that Free is very preciseand very close to capillary).However, if the sensor has stable arrow, the capillary must be very close to it, at most 20% difference (upward or down).Thus, values ​​of type 125 and 146 do not mean that the sensor works badsame range ...
Of course, as they have told you, in moments of glycemia variability, which goes up or down, the differences between capillary and sensor will be greater ...
@"Kallens"

JPR's profile photo
JPR
02/22/2018 1:09 p.m.

30 años. Diabetes tipo 1 desde los 10
Medtronic Minimed 640g
NovoRapid
hA1c: 6%
Sensor Enlite

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.