{'en': 'What you should never tell someone with type 1 diabetes', 'es': 'Lo que nunca debes decir a alguien con diabetes tipo 1'} Image

What you should never tell someone with type 1 diabetes

fer's profile photo   01/04/2019 5:05 p.m.

To think about any health condition of another person is something delicate that requires subtlety, delicacy and empathy.

But sometimes even with the best intentions we can hurt the feelings of someone who is doing everything that can be healthy.

In the case of type 1 diabetes, many patients are tired of listening to reckless phrases that are usually based on myths associated with this condition.

In a Spanish forum, Víctor Mercado remembers the time they said: "Eating a candy for you is like eating a grenade, right?"To Mila Ferrer, mother of a young diabetic, the one who has most bothered him was: "You did not take care of yourself during pregnancy and that's why he was born like this."

"Being with type 1 diabetes or any type of diabetes is exhausting in many ways, especially when you have to deal with people with those preconceived ideas of the disease," explains Jennifer Lavallee, in an article for Self magazine.

“Experimenting low sugar levels, dealing with the high cost of medicines and managing diabetes related stress are annoying effects of living with this condition that we are tied for for life.What I refuse to live together is with the stigma associated with being diabetic, ”explains Lavallee, in an article for Elle magazine.

Information, common sense and putting on the shoes of the other are key elements not to incur these errors.

"I would advise anyone who knows someone with diabetes to think before askUnderstand and not insensitivity or clumsiness, ”he insists.

This guide can also help you.

1."Could it ate too sweet?"

Type 1 diabetes does not originate from bad eating habits.It is an autoimmune condition that is not preventable, or curable.

2."But how is it possible that you have diabetes if you are thin?"

Type 1 diabetes is not related to the overweight, unlike type 2 diabetes (which does not support the same to say the same with type 2 diabetes).The physical appearance of the person is not an indicator of the disease and automatic associations should never be established.

3."My aunt with diabetes amputated a leg"

No one with diabetes wants to hear this.Although it may happen, the person does not need a reminder of the possible complications of diabetes and science has advanced a lot to try to prevent them.

4.“I don't know how you can inject.How horrible ”

In the first place, it is not as bad as it seems and in second it is the only way in which your friend or relative has to stay healthy.He needs support, not reminders of the inconvenience of living with that condition daily.

5."Don't eat that"

The patient is responsible for their decisions and consequences and leaving the diet sporadically is well as long as planning it with the rest of their meals and learning to adjust their insulin doses.Although your concern is genuine, don't make it guilty.

6."You inject insulin, bone that you have bad diabetes"

No diabetes is good and that will simply make the patient feel worse.Both types of diabetes carry risks that it is not healthy to be constantly reminding the individual.

7."You have to try this natural recipe from my grandmother who removed diabetes."

Be very careful with advicePopular wisdom that are not only wrong, but can endanger the patient's life.The only person who can prescribe something is the doctor.

What to answer?

To people with diabetes who listen to these comments, experts give some tools to handle them.

Find out.The more you know about your condition, that knowledge will empower you and help you respond based on myths or false beliefs.

Surround yourself with people who support you and motivate you.You will not always be able to avoid reckless comments, but you can choose who spends more time.

Be honest.Do not stay silent.With respect and courtesy responds and explode to the person why what he said is right or not and how he made you feel.You will be doing a favor and maybe saving that relationship.

fer's profile photo
fer
01/04/2019 5:05 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I can't hear "you can't eat that" and the popular "sure you didn't take care of you"When you have the amount of CH and point

FERLE's profile photo
FERLE
01/04/2019 6:57 p.m.

DT1
MINIMED 640G
FREESTYLE LIBRE

I have already explained so many times that it is of autoimmune origin that already happened.
I laugh at his ignorance and period.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
01/08/2019 7:32 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Now that almost all type 1 we carry a glucose sensor, the typical question that does not stop answering, because they believe they already know, it would be something like this:

My friend: What are you carrying in your arm?
Me: it's for diabetes, it's a sensor ... (I cut me)
My friend: Ah! ... Yes, already, put the insulin and such ...
Me: No, no, it's a sensor that ... (cuts me)
My friend: It is better that to prick the insulin, right?
Me: ...... (Thinking: Do I answer ??? ... your teeth!)

: D: D: D: D

fer's profile photo
fer
12/23/2022 8:36 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Well, the truth is that I am important to tell us that.It is normal that there are many people who do not know exactly their function.I mean the sensor.Regarding other grandmother's remedies type comments and such, yes, you have to answer clearly, people like to speak without knowing, but in all areas of life

javiertierno's profile photo
javiertierno
12/23/2022 10:04 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

There are some more things that tell you and redirect.Best of all
If you are fat, you are diabetic for eating like a pig and drinking soft drinks.
If you are in the bones it is because you are diabetic by Anorexico.
You should not have drunk so much, it is what one told me when I explain that my dobetes was autoimmune and that my pancreas stopped producing insulin.
You should cover the morphine patch, there are children ....

Even today you find auxiliary and nurses who do not know what DM1 is.And everything is associated with food.

_Tacker_'s profile photo
_Tacker_
12/25/2022 7:36 p.m.

I decided not to say it in the work, only a person who no longer works with me knows, but saying it conditions you with the colleagues when going to the coffee machine seriously you put one with little sugar and they already look sideways asThinking Alaaa is diabetic and puts sugar !!Also on business meals, finally a disaster I have to say

Rogerix's profile photo
Rogerix
12/26/2022 1:11 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.