Type 1 diabetes and European health card (I'm going to work in Portugal)

Javier Ruiz's profile photo   01/17/2019 10:36 a.m.

Good guys, first of all introduce myself first, my name is Javier, I am 29 years old and I have been suffering from type I diabetes since the 20s.

I have been offered to work outside, in Portugal specifically and I have accepted, in a month I have to go to there and I have several doubts.

As some probably solve them better there I focus on what I can do from here, in the company they would make me a medical insurance.

That said I want to know if I have to do the European health card to be able to benefit from it in that country.

Also ask how I would do it when transporting insulin in the plane, the best method because it has to be cold and how to do it.

And basically if I need to have any other type of documentation or something in particular.

Thank you all.

Javier Ruiz's profile photo
Javier Ruiz
01/17/2019 10:36 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The European health card is always good to have it and it is very easy to ask so that in your case I would ask for it.You can do it online: Link

Insulin can transport it with some system that preserves the cold (cold portfolios are very good for that).Of course in hand luggage, in the winery it could be spoiled.If you carry a doctor's proof you should let all the material without problems.They have never asked me but better to take it up.May the doctor put everything you need to carry and so if they tell you something with the doctor's role you have no problem.
Here is a report model: Link

I do not know how the issue of getting insulin there will be but better take the one you need from here to avoid problems or have to pay it there.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
01/17/2019 1:21 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Yesssica_a said:
The European health card is always good to have it and it is very easy to ask that I in your case would ask for it.You can do it online: Link

Insulin can transport it with some system that preserves the cold (cold portfolios are very good for that).Of course in hand luggage, in the winery it could be spoiled.If you carry a doctor's proof you should let all the material without problems.They have never asked me but better to take it up.May the doctor put everything you need to carry and so if they tell you something with the doctor's role you have no problem.
Here is a report model: Link

I do not know how the issue of getting insulin there will be but better take the one you need from here to avoid problems or have to pay it there.

Perfect thank you very much for your answer, I will then get a portfolio of those!

Javier Ruiz's profile photo
Javier Ruiz
01/17/2019 7:33 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.