How much cold can insulin endure in winter activities?

Sierra_Nevada's profile photo   02/15/2018 6:35 p.m.

There if someone from you can contribute something about, how do insulin pumps or feathers behave, when transported in winter activities and temperatures can reach -20 degrees under 0?Freezing of it ...... or ways to transport and use it? Thanks in advance.

Sierra_Nevada's profile photo
Sierra_Nevada
02/15/2018 6:35 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

With these temperatures it freezes safely.Put it inside the jacket attached to the body.With your body heat it is already well kept.I do it whenever I go to the mountain in winter and without problem, although it has never agreed that it is so cold.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/15/2018 6:57 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

I do it as you Yesssica.Sometimes I read with enthusiasm news of diabetic mountaineers who get tops in places with which I dream, and I also know that they give lectures where I had the opportunity to attend, I would prepare a good dossier of questions.The activities they did do not usually exceed two/three days with night overnights in shelters without guard.But now I consider longest and further outputs, and some doubts assault me ​​like, if the pump is the most comfortable solution? Although the bolis always go as an emergency, and how will insulin and the pump itself behave indimensions greater than 5000m, and temperatures of that range?.
That is why they ask, thinking that hopefully someone could contribute any experience, thanks.

Sierra_Nevada
02/15/2018 10:30 p.m.

I don't know if you know the program of Jesús Calleja of extreme challenge I think it was called.His camera is diabetic and goes with him everywhere.He went up to Everest.If you are looking for online, you have an interview where you have what you had to do with insulin and other material.And many more.I do not remember what is called but surely looking in Google you find it.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
02/16/2018 12:38 a.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Yes, I saw it from time to time, but I didn't know about the camera.I have been able to read some interview of yours and it has been interesting.Thanks again.

Sierra_Nevada
02/16/2018 1:37 p.m.

Hello,
Now with a pump or before I have always taken it attached to the body so that it does not freeze.This is going well without problems.The rest of insulin leave her at the hotel.
Last year, the last day of skiing, left the pen to load the pump inside the car and I suspect that it froze because the days used that insulin were not good.
This year I wanted to see if there was any system to maintain insulin without freezing.I saw by Amazon that there are some thermal blankets for reptiles that can go with USB but in the end for lack of time I have not been able to buy one and try it.
Greetings,

Maik_dyk's profile photo
Maik_dyk
02/19/2018 8:39 a.m.

DT1 desde los 25 años, debut el 2004.
Ultima glico 5,8 (Mayo 2018)
ISCI Medtronic 640G + CGM Enlite

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.