Obtaining energy through fats?

farstar's profile photo   04/09/2018 8:05 a.m.

It is well known that the human body has tens of thousands of Kcal stored in the form of fat, and that they are used when needed.

In the case of a diabetic person, how does this process work?That is, I have the feeling that as long as I have basal insulin, my body will continue to burn blood glucose until it causes hypoglycemia.Come on, you will never use those fats to raise blood glucose.

If the body has no insulin, I know it is when they begin to burn fats to produce energy, through ketosis.The problem is that since there is no insulin, that glucose released from fats, remains in the blood, producing this time hyperglycemia and raising the risk of ketoacidosis.If after this process, we put ourselves insulin, then the glucose released by this process can be used, but we return to the before: they will stop burning fat because the body already interprets that, having insulin, it has to take the glucose of the blood.There is or not, right?

So ... what is the way in which a diabetic may burn fats to produce energy?Can't we?he he.

Thank you.

farstar's profile photo
farstar
04/09/2018 8:05 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I would also like to know to lose a few kilos.
If you find out, put it, by fi.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
04/09/2018 8:59 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Ruthbia the kilos of which you speak are not only due to fats, many other factors can intervene, so you should not obsess with this issue, surely you are great as you are now.
As I see that no one is encouraged on this topic, which seems interesting to me, I tell you what I know (or I think you know) on this subject.In today's society and for many centuries most of the energy is obtained from hydrates and the body has become accustomed and adapted to it, surely from the Neolithic that man learned to cultivate cereals.A normal person (usually they do it athletes) can recondition again to obtain fat from the fats through an adaptation period, which I understand so that it is complete can last several weeks and can have a being of small discomfort at the beginning;And within this there are people who adapt well and fast and others cost him much more;And the change that makes the body is, as Farstar says, obtain energy from the ketone bodies that circulate through the blood instead of the HC.
And us?Well, the same but our process (when it goes well) is longest, so I have deduced from diabetics that carry a ketone diet, start first with a low diet in HC, between 50 and 100 gr daily of HC, and then thenGo slowly lowering the HC injet until you reach about 30/40 gr daily, and it does not seem that they have cetoacidosis problems (those who get it, of course).From what I have read in English forums most of the people who try to stay in the low HC diet, and even recommend as much, alternate periods of ketone diet with low diet in HC.And there are many people who do not adapt to this process and leave it, that is, there are people who are adapting to this type of diet (I think they are the least) and others do not.
My experience is that when I have a few days, that it happens to all from time to time, of insulin resistance, those that raise your glucose and there is no way to lower it, instead of putting more insulin, which seems that you put yourselfWater, I find it much more effective to apply a restriction, in the intake of hydrates for one or two days, sometimes until you reach the ketone diet, depending on how rebel the aunt is put on.

runing50's profile photo
runing50
04/10/2018 11:08 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

There are a couple of very good articles by Marcos Vazquez that explain how this works in his revolutionary fitness blog:

Look for Google "become a machine to burn fat (part i)" and "become a machine to burn fat (part II)"

In diabetics it works the same as in non -diabetics except because we insulin are injected instead of doing it by the body itself.Basal insulin should never lower glucose until it causes hypoglycemia, just keep it stable.The body always needs to use small amounts of glucose for some concrete cells such as some of the brain and for that it needs insulin, hence we always need to have some insulin.If you do not eat hydrate the body is able to generate glucose from the proteins so it always has glucose.
To be in ketosis, prolonged fasting (more than 16 hours normally) or very low hydrates intake (less than 50gr a day or less depending on the person).If this is fulfilled your body will use fat instead of glucose.Although if protein intake is very high, it may become a glucose and do not let you enter ketosis (but it has to be quite high, it is difficult to arrive).The diabetic problem is that the production of ketone bodies can get out of control and move on to ketoacidosis.This occurs when there is not enough insulin, because insulin is one of the hormones that control the production of ketone bodies.It has to be low to enter ketosis, but be sufficient for basal needs (in practice you keep the glucose stable).When you eat, glucose rises and that produces damage to blood vessels, so the body wantsfat.In a diabetic it would be the same only as when you eat you put the insulin, instead of doing your body.
We work exactly the same as a healthy person but for us cetosis has some risk.It can be done but carefully and knowing well what is done.You have to let insulin missing when you are in ketosis because it quickly goes to ketoacidosis.So it would be necessary to control glucose and quickly correct hyperglycemia.
Cetogenic diets are useful to lose weight because fat is used as energy, but above all because ketosis removes hunger and thus eats less.In the end, what weights is to be in caloric deficit not ketosis itself.But it is easier not to eat if you are not hungry, hence it works quite well to lose weight.But they are very strict diets that in the long term cannot be maintained and ends up recovering the weight when eating again as before.

I personally do low diet in hydrates but without being in ketosis all the time and I do not usually be hungry.I make 3 meals a day and now.With this I have the glucose very stable (that's why I do).That if I base the diet in vegetables, good fats and quality proteins (meat, fish and eggs).And I take advantage of fruits and things with more hydrates after training to replace glucogen.I believe that a ketogenic diet is very extractic and it is not easy to follow it a lot of time but a low in hydrates is easier and if you can follow well.I have been and without problems for more than a year.But well you have to go little by little at the beginning, lowering amounts to adjust insulin and see how the body reacts.Each person is different.If you are interested there is a Facebook group of diabetics that we follow low diet in hydrates.There you can find a lot of information about low diet in hydrates and ketosis.And there are people with experience that can solve doubts.
It is called "Diabetes low in hydrates", if notYou find the URL.

Yessica_A's profile photo
Yessica_A
04/10/2018 11:48 p.m.

DM1 desde 2003 | Toujeo + Humalog | FreeStyle 2 | HbA1c 5.5

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.