{'en': 'Can I play sports if I have diabetes?', 'es': '¿Puedo realizar deporte si tengo diabetes?'} Image

Can I play sports if I have diabetes?

fer's profile photo   03/19/2018 12:30 p.m.

The appearance of diabetes usually causes a great impact on the family and it is essential that the person adapts as quickly as possible without losing their habits and customs prior to the disease.

The physical exercise or practice of some sport plays a fundamental role.Sports practice is recommended to the entire population, whether or not to have diabetes, for the multiple benefits that it gives us to our health, being one of the basic pillars in the treatment of people suffering from diabetes.

The practice of intense exercise or sports competitions should be controlled since they can alter the control of diabetes.When performing any type of sport, a series of recommendations adapted to the situation, duration and intensity of the exercise to be performed must be taken into account.

The person who performs sports should know the content of carbohydrates of food or the relationship with insulin doses, to train how to modify these factors according to the intensity, duration or frequency with which the exercise performs.

Not only can you, but it is due.The usual physical exercise practice is associated with an improvement of the general health status and the prevention of some diseases.Sedentary lifestyle is a risk factor for cardiovascular problems and associated with greater mortality.

If the person already practiced some kind of sport as usual before the diagnosis of diabetes, we must get him to continue doing that sport he practiced.In the case of competition sports or some long -lasting or high intensity sports, the person is most likely to need an adaptation period and progressively increase the intensity or duration of the activity.As time goes by, the person will meet his body and the response to each type of physical activity.

It is necessary to measure glycemia frequently to know how the type of exercise influences the glycemia values ​​and what modifications are the most successful for each type of exercise or sport:

Glycemia & lt;70 mg/dl is not recommended to exercise.
70-99 mg/dl blood glucose It is recommended to eat previously.
Glycemia between 100-250 mg/dl can exercise without performing intake.
Glycemia & GT;250 mg/dl, do not exercise and measure ketone bodies.

The most common complication when physical exercise is practiced is hypoglycemia.This occurs when physical exercise is performed and the body consumes blood glucose as fuel.If this muscle consumption of glucose does not compensate quickly with the contribution of carbohydrates or the doses of insulin or drugs are not reduced, the safest thing is that hypoglycemia appears.

As I have commented before, physical exercise must be performed and know the body little by little to know how it responds to each activity to be able to control the glycemia peaks.And very important to carry a structure food for each activity and physical performance of each individual.

fer's profile photo
fer
03/19/2018 12:30 p.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Good contribution @fer ... as a fact to keep in mind that on the sidelines of the hypos during the year we have to be careful at 20h after it ... especially if it is intense.Since we generate more glut4 receptors in the muscles that can create hypersensitivity to insulin.Surely many have noticed this effect.Greetings .

ranty's profile photo
ranty
03/24/2018 10:41 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Indeed, the problem of intense exercise for me comes later.

In my case I exercise intense two to a half to day, the problem is not to control the hypos during the exercise since I use the free style sensor, .... I always carry orange and candy or sugar juices, in caseFrom Hipay to take them, if I initially go with Hiper whenever he between 150 and 200 mgr/dl does not take anything and gradually falls during the exercise without problems.

I have the problem at 6-10h after the exercise, hypoglycemiah appears everywhere, and if the problem catches me the problem is increased!Now I am testing with a transmitter of the free style sensor to the mobile so that I have alarms for hiccups, I hope this detects them (it seems that it works), because so far I had to put on a alarm clock every 3-4 hours for analysis of the song,I mean, sleep in pieces.

JUAN DAVID 's profile photo
JUAN DAVID
03/27/2018 2:42 a.m.

@"Juan David" I say, to avoid those hypos, is it not convenient to reduce basal insulin?

polustiano's profile photo
polustiano
05/12/2018 11:27 p.m.

DM 1 desde 2013
Lantus y Novorrapid
Aficionado al deporte

After commenting on my problem to the endocrine he gave me several guidelines to reduce these nocturnal hypoglycemia:

1st The best would be to perform the exercise as early as possible and that it was not too intense, so that the effects are lower and do not occur hours later during the dream.The problem is that I cannot vary the schedules or the intensity ... I can't go out there.
2nd A second step would be to eliminate the rapid insulin from dinner, that means being high before bedtime.But due to the hypoglycemia deferred by the exercise several hours after performing it, at dawn the sugar levels are balanced.This is the option I am doing.
3º The reduction of basal insulin of 24h I have not tried it, since at the end of the day (it coincides with the last hours of sleep) it is supposed to almost have anything left in the body, come on, that little will influence ...

My endocrine has recommended that I follow the options in the order I tell you.

JUAN DAVID 's profile photo
JUAN DAVID
05/15/2018 2:22 a.m.

What time do you put the slow insulin?

polustiano's profile photo
polustiano
05/15/2018 7:41 a.m.

DM 1 desde 2013
Lantus y Novorrapid
Aficionado al deporte

Link

Read the part of the hypoglycemia can appear 24 hours "or more" of having exercised, and incidentally you tell your endocrine to read it even if it does not put much interest.Although you do not have any basal insulin in the body, hypoglycemia may appear.- I personally believe that the order it has given you is the inverse but the one that has to give you the guideline is the endocrine.-

I know people who doing medium or moderate intensity sports low the basal insulin in half !!!Although each one has a sensitivity.-

sigsauer's profile photo
sigsauer
05/15/2018 9:04 a.m.

The last point is not very feasible, I explain: Starting from the premise that sport and intense and insulin 24 hours are not very compatible, put that you reduce the slow (in an insulin 24 h. It is needed between 48 and 72 hours so thatassimilate the change) let's continue with the assumption, you change the dose dity before and such, it turns out that you planHaving played sports you will be high at dinner and you will have to compensate quickly.I have more than proven it does not matter Toujeo that threeiba, these insulins are made for sedentary or little activity.The solution is an insulin of 12 h.So that your modifies of the 2, which interests you based on when you do the exercise.Option 1 that recommends you is laughing, if it were your work that gives you that problem, would you also recommend changing work?That today has an endocrine of this option is to get out of the consultation and change endocrine.Option 2 is possible but you have to control the absorption of the food you eat and how they influence you so as not to dawn high.

LuVi's profile photo
LuVi
05/15/2018 11:54 a.m.

DMT1 desde los 12 años (1991)
hbA1c= 5,4

Humalog y Toujeo (mayo 2017)
Humalog y Tresiba (mayo 2016 hasta mayo 2017)
humalog y NPH (desde inicio hasta mayo de 2016)

Hello Juan David!
Tests to lower the doses of slow too?

Pinkunicorn's profile photo
Pinkunicorn
05/20/2018 10:54 a.m.

DM1 desde 2009
Lantus 23 UI 14h ahora probando Toujeo 28 UI 14h
Apidra Junior a demanda
Accu Check Aviva Expert
FreeStile Libre
Última HbA1c 6,8

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.