{'en': 'The toughest fight for "Cachito" Pérez: has diabetes but is excited to return to the ring', 'es': 'La pelea más dura para “Cachito” Pérez: tiene diabetes pero se ilusiona con volver al ring'} Image

The toughest fight for "Cachito" Pérez: has diabetes but is excited to return to the ring

fer's profile photo   05/04/2018 10:31 a.m.

There was a month and a half for the moment that Israel "Cachito" Pérez had looked throughout his career as a boxer.In training, while running through San Vicente- the city in which he grew up and still lived.He could not help it: they had just diagnosed a type 1 diabetes, and the doctors assured him that it would be an insulin dependent.

Medical and coupled with encouragement, he could in any way play a more than dignified role in Japan, on December 31, 2014, before the premises Takashi Uchiyama, by the World Championship of the Super Pen category.He fell by technical knockout in the tenth round.And since then things were uphill.

His representative, Sampson Lewkowicz (the same as Sergio "Maravilla" Martínez), abandoned it."He lost confidence in me for diabetes," says Pérez.And injuries and cramps began to appear more and more frequently.

He could not fight again in these last three years, but does not lose hope and is not taken for granted.“I want to go to training the United States and make a couple of fights, to see if I am given the possibility of competing for the world title.But it is complicated because the promoters are all rats that do not want to put money, ”he explains.

Train every day and live from the classes that give your group of students in the San Vicente fishing club.He won 30 thousand dollars in the fight in Japan that investigated mostly in the Ford Fiesta New that he handles."I thought I was going to have an important fight like this again, and that with that I would be able to buy a house," he laments.

Being insulin-dependent demands a great effort, but meets Rajataba.Small blood extractions are made to measure their sugar levels and insulin is injected into the legs several times a day.He has no social work, but some friends help him: a diabetologist from the Favaloro Foundation gets medications and a veterinarian gives him the bandages he uses in his hands when he trains.

He is 39 years old and many people in his environment ask him to take a step to the boxing.“My old man tells me since I am amateur and many other people also ask me to stop fucking.But it is what I like, the adrenaline of the ring does not give it to you in life.And teaching is not the same, it bores me, ”he is sincere.

“I don't want diabetes to retire.I want to be the one who says enough when I don't feel like it, but I will continue fighting it in the meantime, ”he promises.The disease, unusual in elite athletes, puts important obstacles, mainly with food.It must consume few carbohydrates, and cannot resort to the tactics of most slimming boxers for weighing and fattening for fights."I have to take care of myself," he acknowledges.

"Cachito" lives with his partner in the La Laguna neighborhood.He has an 18 -year -old daughter, who supports him in his intention to fight again, and one of 16, for whom he does not want the same future: "I would not like to devote to boxing because I know everything that is suffered."Also one of three years, which is responsible for taking and bringing to the garden.

He had a career with important achievements, especially in his beginnings, but could not make "an economic difference."He was youth champion in 1998, Olympic representative in Sydney 2000 (he was very close to the bronze medal), head of Fedelatin Amb and Latin of the CMB Superpluma Division.His record as a professional tells 27 victories, three losses and a draw.He did not get a world championship, but he does not lose hope of doing so in the light category."You can always give a feat," he is excited.

fer's profile photo
fer
05/04/2018 10:31 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.