The fragility of Dexcom G4 Platinum

melele's profile photo   06/04/2018 7:13 p.m.

After 38 years of diabetic during which there has been an evolution in its treatment (it was not at the beginning "this, in 15 years they will find a solution") going from pork insulin and glass syringes to the trendCurrent with more specialized insulins and especially continuous glucose meters, and after informing myself as much as possible (and reads to you), be advised by my endocrine and taking into account the characteristics of my diabetes (I do not notice my hypoglycemia) I decided and opted for a continuous meter that fits my needs such as Dexcom G4.
So far everything is fine.
The question comes now.Once the Dexcom is tested, life turns you a while, with its pros and cons.A knowledge of your levels at all times, gives you a security that believed lost, to be able to drive without fear of hypoglycemia, sleep (me and my partner) with the feeling that the situation is controlled, and if ever (few)step, to be able to correct the situation properly (I am still).
Of course, this has as a counterpart (obviating the economic issue) a worrying dependence of the system, often looking at the receiver, following its indications (calibrations), come on, that you become addicted to Dexcom.And it is that the apparatus is not the panacea.When it loses the connection, it asks you to replace the sensor or the dreaded indication "?On the other hand, you had achieved.
In this lies the problem for my taste, it is too fragile and you have the feeling that at any time it can fail (and fail).
Hopefully it is only a first step and that sooner than later (once the commercial expectations are met) a safe, effective and accessible tool for everyone is made available to diabetics.

melele's profile photo
melele
06/04/2018 7:13 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

You are right, the other day I did not turn on and I became very nervous, and when I turned out I felt an impressive relief (I was traveling the next day).It is the bad part of the MCG, that dependence.But well, we depend more on the insulins and the glucometer of a lifetime.I think that Dexcom has more good part than bad, you have to try not to obsess looking at it every two for three that are why the alarms are.
Greetings

Maritxu22's profile photo
Maritxu22
06/06/2018 10:25 a.m.

DM1 desde abril 2006. 33años
Tresiba:12-14
Fiasp a demanda
Dexcom G6

Última HbA1c: 6% (junio)

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.