{'en': 'Where is it better to carry the reactive strips if I do not wear a bag or backpack?', 'es': '¿Donde es mejor llevar las tiras reactivas si no llevo bolso o mochila?'} Image

Where is it better to carry the reactive strips if I do not wear a bag or backpack?

apas02's profile photo   07/16/2018 7:29 p.m.

Greetings with everyone!

For people with diabetes that we use the Onetouch Ultra reactive strips we know what the container, small and cylindrical.This package can be adjusted to any bag or backpack so that we carry them everywhere.The situation is when I am not going to wear the bag or backpack because what I am going to do is eat or a party ...

The fact is that when these are the case, I usually carry in my pockets, in addition to the container, the meter and the tuing pen of lancetas.For those of us who have taken them in this way we know the awkward and ugly bulk (personally) that is formed in the pockets to carry these things, even more that bulge is greater by the container of the reactive strips.

In recent months what I did so that this "bulge" was not seen in my pockets (the meter is the ultra mini, which goes unnoticed together with the trigger) was to take 3 strips and place them in that tiny pocket that the jeans have.

When taking the measure, I took one of these strips to make the respective capillary measurement.But oh surprise that when you enter the strip to the meter, it marks me er4 and it was practically like if the strip had been damaged.

Several times that happened until I decided to wait a time not determined for the reactive strip to cool since when I took it out of my pocket I noticed that it was hotter due to my body temperature, but that time sometimes it was not given to me which ended nottaking the measure.

Then I tried to take them elsewhere - behind my cell phone, between the case.The same thing that I told you happened to me but I was no longer so hot so it didn't spend much time until the strip returned to the "normality."

Once I had to place the drop of blood in the strip I realized that the strip had been "crushed" between the case and my cell phone, so I did not absorb enough blood and came out again "error."

As a last attempt to carry my reactives without the case was that I cut a piece of aluminum foil, wrapped the reactives and made sure that they will not fall from the paper (the bending is important), and decided to store them in my wallet but of theside that is not in contact with my body so that they do not warm up.

Then I proceeded to take the measure and guess what, this method if it worked for me: D

I was able to measure glucose as if I were at home, always taking care that they will not fall when there would be the paper.

I know that in the instructions for use that come in the box when you buy the reactives it indicates that it must be stored in the container but we go, I want to be practical with my outputs and when taking control of the diabetes.

Although I do not know for sure if there is any significant reaction between aluminum and the reagent that alters the meter reading.For now I will continue in this way.

PSDTHave you tried differently to wear their reactive strips when they have events?

Thank you!

apas02's profile photo
apas02
07/16/2018 7:29 p.m.

Diabético Tipo 1 desde 2007
Apidra y Lantus (plumas)
HbA1c: 6.4% (dic. 2017) - 5.9 (mar. 2018)

I always bet on naturalness, that is, never hide or not take my shoulder or backpack or any other bag, giving myself the type of event to which.I think it is very important to treat these devices well because we depend on them;And above all, I don't want to hide or hide (I don't say it's your case).I prefer to take everything, although I understand that sometimes it is somewhat annoying (it is not my case).

Jota's profile photo
Jota
07/23/2018 4:56 p.m.

Debut: 2001
Novorapid/ Toujeo (22 unidades)
HbA1c: 8 (Necesita mejorar)
Sensor Free Style desde 2021

To all events you can go with a bag.Large, small or mini.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
07/23/2018 6:20 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

jota said:
I always bet on naturalness, that is, never hide or not take my shoulder or backpack or any other bag, giving me the same the type of event to which it goes.I think it is very important to treat these devices well because we depend on them;And above all, I don't want to hide or hide (I don't say it's your case).I prefer to take everything, although I understand that sometimes it is somewhat annoying (it is not my case).

I understand it but come on, if you are at a party you will not dance with your suitcase or if?haha usually try to take it when I am going to eat or spend a lot of time outside, if there are a few hours I do not take anything I just leave the house taking the measure.

apas02's profile photo
apas02
07/23/2018 6:38 p.m.

Apidra y Lantus (plumas)

anaisabel said:
To all events you can go with a bag.Large, small or mini.

It depends on the I CREO event.I consider that a bag is a more feminine accessory and there would apply for all events.In my case I take out or the suitcase or only my cooling container with insulin.

apas02's profile photo
apas02
07/23/2018 6:43 p.m.

Apidra y Lantus (plumas)

That you see the bag a female article exclusively, that is a problem !!And right now I can't think of any event where it was forbidden to go with a bag.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
07/24/2018 2:43 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Or a frog ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
07/24/2018 4:32 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

In your case I would do:
- I would change glycometer to another who have less sensitive strips (ABBOT's do not have those problems)
- If you can afford it, put a flash meter.If I leave I only carry the pen (with new needle for dinner or food) and the mobile to measure the sensor.The purse and DNI occupied me more than the pen.Except in summer by the cooling bag.

The bag is a bit ridiculous that you are ashamed.There are more and more men with male mobile bags, wallet, etc.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/25/2018 8:29 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.