{'en': "Type 1 diabetes could affect children's brain growth", 'es': 'La diabetes tipo 1 podría afectar al crecimiento del cerebro de los niños'} Image

Type 1 diabetes could affect children's brain growth

fer's profile photo   06/12/2019 10:34 a.m.

One of the main information that has been made public this week on the occasion of the Congress of the ADA in San Francisco, says that children with type 1 diabetes have slower brain growth, compared to children without diabetes.

A statement confirming a new study led by Dr. Nelly Mauras at Nemours Children’s Health System in Jacksonville, Florida (USA).

The information ensures that there are significant differences in brain growth and in the regional gray and white matter.

Based on a series of three studies of structural magnetic resonance imaging.

"Even with the new insulin and technologies that can significantly improve attention, children with type 1 diabetes are still exposed to significant changes in sugar control, which creates potential risks for the developing brain," Mauras explained.

For this reason, understanding the early effects on blood sugar control on brain development "is a necessary step to develop strategies to reduce these risks."

Study objective

In the study, the researchers tried to determine to what extent exposure to glycemia has an adverse impact on brain growth in children with early start type diabetes.To do this, the investigation included 138 children with diabetes with an average age of seven years.The participants had an average duration of 2.4 years at the beginning of the project.

Similarly, the total accumulated hyperglycemia exposure was determined using blood sugar for life, using A1C (HBA1C) hemoglobin values ​​from the time of diagnosis.

The study result

The result of this investigation was that the group with diabetes had a slower brain growth, specifically of the total gray and white substance and white subcortical than the control group at all temporal points.In particular, a set of metabolically active brain regions associated with other brain disorders, known as ‘network by default’, showed less growth in the diabetes group compared to the control group.Thus, these slower growth regions were associated with a higher level of sugar in life, measured by HBA1C values.

On these results around brain growth, the main author has concluded that “ongoing research is studying whether the diligent maintenance of blood sugar levels in the normal range through advanced technologies in diabetes could affect these findingsto reduce the risk of cognitive dysfunction ».

fer's profile photo
fer
06/12/2019 10:34 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

PFFF, do not worry the parents for this.My daughter is diabetic since the age of 5 and had many hypoglycemia and did not affect her at all.It came out superline.jajaa

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/12/2019 11:40 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

regina said:
pfff, that do not worry the parents for this.My daughter is diabetic since the age of 5 and had many hypoglycemia and did not affect her at all.It came out superline.jajaa

When I was a child about 30 years ago, and I entered 12, my parents took me to a very appointed endocrine doctor of that time, I tell you many things about diabetes, but I also remember that he told them that the children diabetic sThey used to be very intelligent.

I don't know, I can't talk about me.

Greetings

chamus1978's profile photo
chamus1978
06/18/2021 5:46 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

From the 7 with diabetes and I am not bad my brain.
If what I remember and even the PQ, which made me radiographs in my hands every 3 months 🤷‍♀️

vanessa30's profile photo
vanessa30
06/18/2021 11:41 p.m.

@vanessa30, the radiographs of the hands were to control growth, because a very poorly controlled diabetes affects growth .., but I believe that now they no longer do them, because control in children has improved a lot.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/19/2021 4:49 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)

@Egina without a glocometer, or reactive strips, it was an achievement to go well controlled.
We had no more than healthy eating guidelines, otherwise ... nothing at all

vanessa30
06/19/2021 8:25 a.m.

@Vanessa30, so they made them, without means the control was very complicated and until then they would see cases that affected growth.My daughter also made hand radiographs, the first years.I don't know if they are still doing them now in children ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
06/19/2021 3:56 p.m.

@Regina, I do not know but now with the analytics so rigorous that there are and visits to pediatricians, I imagine that they will no longer be necessary

vanessa30
06/19/2021 4:19 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.