Basal insulin administration on long trips

Palomilla's profile photo   07/03/2019 12:15 p.m.

Hello, forum:

Soon I travel to Japan and I have been looking at how to adjust the basal.I have found this:

Orientative guideline on trips to the east
As the day will last less than 24 hours, the total daily dose of insulin should be reduced.This will be done differently according to the usual basal insulin guideline is one or two doses per day.
In people who apply insulin only once a day, before the game it will be necessary to reduce the dose approximately in a proportion of 1/24 (that is, about 4%) for every hour of difference.Thus, if for example the usual dose is 50 units of insulin per day and the place of destination is east with a time difference of 5 hours, this dose should be reduced by a proportion of 5 hours x 4%, that is to say in20%.Therefore, the previous dose to travel will be only 40 insulin units.From this moment on, the clock should be placed according to the time of the destination and the following doses will be applied daily at the usual schedule and doses.Diabetes%20insulina%20en%20viajes.html

In your long trips, have you calculated it in this way?

Thank you so much.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
07/03/2019 12:15 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

If you do not use insulin pump, I would not advise you to use the method you indicate.
If you use MDI (feathers or syringes), I would advise you to put on the same amount of basal insulin (same units) with the hours of origin (when you are at home) or with the destination schedule (when you are in the hotel-destino) and correct the possible hypoglycemia.

If something already works, do not change it;And if you do, it's to improve.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
07/04/2019 6:04 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello!

I have made several trips with time change, and if the country time will get ahead of what I do is put it later in the country where I go, I put it on the mornings, x example in Spanish would be:
Day 0: At 7:00 a.m.
Day 1: At 4:00 a.m.
Day 2: At 1: 00h

And so until I coincide with the time I get from the country where I go.

If the time is delayed, I put it on the time of the country to which I go because I use three that lasts more hours and can be done without problem as the endocrine told me.

But let's not always get up at the same time, there are days that I put the three -year at 7 and others at 10 and I don't notice any difference in blood glucose, I don't know without the toujeo will happen similar ...

Maritxu22's profile photo
Maritxu22
07/06/2019 11:12 a.m.

DM1 desde abril 2006. 33años
Tresiba:12-14
Fiasp a demanda
Dexcom G6

Última HbA1c: 6% (junio)

Thanks to both of answering.
In the end I decided on the method I read.Everything has gone without problem.:)
When I return to Spain I will do the same, but applying the calculation for travel to the west.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
07/11/2019 2:40 a.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.