Insulin storage temperature in summer

farstar's profile photo   07/12/2019 1:17 a.m.

Good, now in summer I was a little worried if the temperature affected insulin, since I always have it at room temperature.In fact I was even looking at these USB Neveritas for insulins, to have the insulin saved there instead of being at my table as long as I don't need it.

Well I simply wanted to share that investigating a little I have found a study that basically says that it does notice if you store insulin (fast/intermediate) at 5 degrees or at 26, the effectiveness after 4 weeks is the same.The problem begins from 32 degrees where 15% efficacy is lost after the third week, so they advise that if the temperature cannot be reduced, the pen is discarded at 2 weeks.

Study link: Link

In another study where insulin (basal) between ambient temperature, fridge and incubator (to simulate that temperature is changed every 2x3) and compared a control group that consisted of insulin always refrigerated in fridge.The result is that it does not affect the effectiveness as long as it is less than 37 degrees.In addition some manufacturers indicate that it is not saved in a fridge once open.

Link: Link

In summer, the poor without air conditioning as I usually have 28-32 degrees in the rooms so or buy such a fridge or the pen after 3 weeks maximum is undone (I don't think it does not need to do it at 2 weeksIf it does not exceed 32c).Save it in the fridge I have never liked because it will be 2-4 degrees and I think that is little and there is also a point where it begins to affect the effectiveness (from there some manufacturers recommend not to save it again in a fridge once open)

farstar's profile photo
farstar
07/12/2019 1:17 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

@Farstar, thanks for the info.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
07/12/2019 5:05 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

I have them refrigerated in a silicone case, in my house to make heat and in the street I do not even tell you.
According to the silicone, it cools inside and recovers with water.
I have them several years ago and it's great.That yes, weighs in the bag

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/15/2019 7:49 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

I know what they are but it is a pain to be soaking them, drying them, etc.

farstar's profile photo
farstar
07/15/2019 7:50 p.m.

No, I do it once a week.
The fridge if it is a roll because it bulges and weighs, you also need plug.

If you go on an excursion you do?
The silicone cover is great and if it gets wet in the sea, river or swamp, nothing happens.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/15/2019 7:55 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

ruthbia said:
no, I do it once a week.

The silicone cover is great and if it gets wet in the sea, river or swamp, nothing happens.

The fridge only talked about her to have her at home, not to go out with her.I also shared this so that people saw that it is not necessary to have it refrigerated either with that neverite or anything

farstar's profile photo
farstar
07/15/2019 7:56 p.m.

ruthbia said:
no, I do it once a week.

Do you mean the "cold" boss?Those that carry gel that when gets wet is like a jelly?
I understood that after a while they stop doing well.I have been for a year (since I am going quickly) and it is going well for it very little but I thought that in a short time I would have to buy another.

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
07/15/2019 9:04 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

I have it more than 10 years ago, I have used it little and this year I am using it at home, because the basal lost efficacy 2 times.
It is perfect, it shows that the pen is wet and "fresh"

Merchedm's profile photo
Merchedm
07/16/2019 8:22 p.m.

Yes, cold bags.I have it 3 years ago, I let it dry well in winter and recovery is summer.
I always carry it on to work, when I leave, I travel, etc.
In Madrid it is very hot to bring insulin hair and if I have proven that it loses effect with the heat and you have to throw it.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/17/2019 7:34 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

But that bag is supposed to lose the effect at 8 am or so, what are you soaking it 3 times a day?

farstar's profile photo
farstar
07/17/2019 1:54 p.m.

No, it lasts 4 or 5 days.And you just need water to activate it.
It's called cold wallet

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
07/17/2019 1:57 p.m.

@Ignasi_p, I have one for two bolis and one for five and after many years now the little girl begins to fail, which is the most use.I use them only in summer.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
07/17/2019 2:01 p.m.

@Farstar the reason to advise to leave the pen in use outside the cold is to avoid puncture with a cold liquid that is more and 2- causes some vasoconstriction that can interfere with absorption.

juanluis1957's profile photo
juanluis1957
07/21/2019 10:28 a.m.

I recommend the cold wallet is the least only needs water and maintains the ambient temperature level for a week
Awarded in England by Toby Blair, they are crystals that absorb their water size more than 1000 times and become a gel
I recommend that you try it

harjona3000's profile photo
harjona3000
07/21/2019 2:19 p.m.

It's the best cold wallet

harjona3000's profile photo
harjona3000
07/21/2019 2:20 p.m.

Neveritas such as those of the first post there are many in Amazon and its price varies according to the battery capacity they incorporate and that allow them to take them on a trip without being connected to the electricity grid.
For example: Link
I have been using cold wallets for more than 30 years and are effective, but a bit bulky and heavy.In addition, for evaporation cooling to work, as are the botijos, they have to be airy.
That is why I am testing this system:
Link
According to its specifications it guarantees to maintain temperature less than 29 degrees Celsius for 8 hours.
So far I have only been able to check (by infrared thermometer), that being the surface outside of 29.30, the interior and the pen are 27º.
It fits very well in the insulin pen and bulges half that a cold wallet does not need to be "airy."

RUBIOARES's profile photo
RUBIOARES
07/21/2019 5:45 p.m.

More about cold portfolios: thirty years ago they brought more crystallites than now and therefore lasted longer.
The business is the business.

RUBIOARES
07/21/2019 6:15 p.m.

Much spam I see here

farstar's profile photo
farstar
07/21/2019 6:49 p.m.

I am doing my cold wallet.It lasts 7 days and insulin is not cold.Bulging because I have the 4 roadbag, but it does not need electricity.
At 7 days I put it in a sweep with water that covers it and in 20 min it is again list.I even put it with the roads inside.I bought it at Amazon 3 years ago.
It passes without problems with customs, airports, trains, etc.that I have traveled with her all over the world;Last year to China for work.
On the beach it ends always full of sand, but you put it in water to wash and list.
From May to October that the heat goes down, it goes with me to all parties.Like a pet;Moreover, I also put the needles and thus have less hit.

It has a thermal leap of about 5ºC with respect to the ambient temperature;It is based on the laws of thermodynamics for those who like the subject, second principle of thermodynamics --- Entropia !!(I'm sorry, professional deformation :))

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
07/22/2019 2:15 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Link
Link

RUBIOARES
07/28/2019 7:13 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.