After a tour of 1,000 kilometers from Éibar, Nene arrived pedaling this Wednesday to the Plaza de España, surrounded by dozens of children who admire him and the applause of family, friends and companions cyclists.

And this young Sevillian athlete has shown them that having type 1 diabetes is not an impediment to sport or a normalized life.

The challenge, which has been reached in 72 hours, aims to be a way of raising awareness on World Diabetes Day, about this disease;In addition to raising funds for the Association for the Care and Defense of the Diabetic Child in Seville (Anadis).

"Every kilometer I have been thinking about those children, it was the reason why I was on the bike, and at no time have I had any downturn," said José Antonio Fernández, better known as Nene.The proceeds through the Migranodarena.org platform will be destined to start up a camp for Anadis children through the Team Active Diabetes team, which is founder.

"It will be a three -day camp that will serve for our children to do physical exercise, because sport is essential for good diabetes control," explains Ana Mari Álvarez, president of the association.«There will be educators, nutritionists and a lot of physical activity, because the objective is to give the tools to the children to enter the physical exercise in their day to day;We also plan for parents to intervene the last day to feel part, ”says Nene.

"With diabetes you can"

José Antonio, 38, is an athlete from the Sevillian neighborhood of the Alcosa Park who debuted in diabetes 10 years ago.His relationship with sport then did not overcome running a few days a week."After knowing that he had diabetes, he got fully into sport only by stubborThe bicycle was bought ».He did not stop in his efforts and two years ago he got one of his greatest challenges, being a finalist of the Ultraman, with 10 km of swimming, 420 km by bike and 84 km of career on foot, being the first athlete with diabetes Tiop 1 in the world inachieve it.

Now, he has overcome himself as an athlete, with the motto "with diabetes you can."In the first stage that started on Sunday, Nene pedaled for 26 hours of Éibar to Aranjuez, making an institutional stop in the Sports City of Real Madrid, where it was received by Nacho Fernández, player of the first template that also has type 1 diabetes.On Tuesday he left Aranjuez to cover the distance to Córdoba where he did night to leave on Wednesday morning to Seville.

«The worst moment was the night I went through Burgos, for cold, rain and air;But the best moment has undoubtedly been the arrival, this reception did not expect, ”he says excitedly.The challenge has been possible thanks to 13 months of training and the support of Quirónsalud Sacred Heart, which has provided assistance during the route.The athlete has been motorized by endocrine and cardiologist at all times to control his glucose level and heart rate.

Children, the beneficiaries of the challenge

Anadis's children carrying blue balloons, approached Nene as soon as he got off the bike to pose for a photo with him, like an idol.Javier, with five years, has come with his parents and his sister with the bikes from Mairena.He debuted in diabetes two ago."He has the insulin pump a year and a half ago and is quite controlled," says Benji, his father, "we are athletes and we try to make the maximum possible sport."Swimming a couple of days per week, and also likes football and bike.«It is quite important to visualize diabetes asHe has done Nene, especially to access public positions because there are laws that are obsolete and today with good control a type 1 diabetic makes a normal life, ”explains his father to Seville Solidaria.

Alejandro, 14 years old, opts for tennis.Also with type 1 diabetes he has come to receive Nene with his parents and his brother.«Now he has a bomb and a continuous glucose monitor and he takes it very well, technology has helped a lot but there are still hard times, the nights, for example, are still desperate because you have to continue getting up to see how sugar has to avoidHypoglycemia, ”explains Juanma, his father."Sport, insulin and food are key in type 1 diabetes," he says.His son Alejandro is looking forward to being able to go to the camp, and claims that he is like any other child: "Sometimes other children look at you, others even make fun, but the only thing different in me is that I have to click."Nene has made it clear to him and all of Spain: "With diabetes you can."