{'en': 'Will we leave insulin injections in the next decade?', 'es': '¿Dejaremos las inyecciones de insulina en la próxima década?'} Image

Will we leave insulin injections in the next decade?

fer's profile photo   07/31/2019 9:10 a.m.

Modern medicine is surprising.Not only is it more and more effective but in recent years it has also become more convenient, futuristic and innovative.

So why in 2019 so many people still need to inject every day to stay alive?

This is a problem that the Israeli Biopharmaceutical Company Kadimastem tries to solve.

As?With a revolutionary discovery for the treatment of diabetes that plans to eliminate needles in insulin -dependent patients.

And how does it work?It is a device capable of creating the hormone responsible for reducing blood sugar levels autonomously inside the body.

Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that generates excessive levels of blood sugar.There are two main types of diabetes: type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin.Type 2 diabetes occurs when the cells become insulin resistant.

As their bodies cannot produce the necessary insulin, all people with type 1 diabetes need to receive it from an external source.They are joined by 30 percent of patients with type 2 diabetes, who also become insulin-dependent.It is estimated that the global population of people who need their insulin doses daily are more than one hundred million.

Traditional medicine deals with this large -scale problem by providing insulin injections, which save millions of lives but are not very practical and uncomfortable.

"We have this raw material and we can turn it into insulin producing cells" - Kfir Molakandov, executive of Kadimimhem.

A more advanced therapy, discovered in 1999, released from insulin injections and glucose control to a group of patients who were implanted healthy islet cells.This method was revolutionary but depended (and still depends) on organ donation.It also required the suppression of the immune systems of the patients so that the new cells did not reject.Therefore, it is not an ideal solution.

This is where Kadimimhem wants to intervene.Instead of having people who expect organ donations, the Israeli company plans to create the necessary cells independently from embryonic stem cells.

«These cells can become any tissue that we like.And the good thing is that they can be multiplied to infinity, "said Kfir Molakandov, Diabetes Project Manager of Kadimastem.He added: "We have this raw material and today we know how to take these pluripotent cells and turn them into insulin producing cells."

"The patient will not feel his presence and, in general, he will not have to do anything else with him"

The researchers also thought of a simple but innovative way to prevent the possible rejection of healthy cells by the immune system: an encapsulation device that Kadimastem is developing with two corporate partners.

"This device isolates the (implanted) cells of the patient's immune system but at the same time it allows them to function effectively for a period of time," Molakandov explained to Israel21C.

According to the Executive, «the insertion of the device will imply a minor medical procedure.The patient will not feel his presence and, in general, he will not have to do anything else with him.They may have to replace these devices once a year, or every two. ”

According to Molakandov, this would mean a great advance with respect to current daily injections since today there are no devices of this type in the market although several companies investigate and develop similar treatments.

The Kadimastem insulin production system is in the stage prior to real tests.«We have already shown that thisSystem works in animals, ”said the researcher, who hopes to begin clinical trials in a few years.

The launch of the product will depend on compliance with the regulatory demands but Molakandov estimates that it will reach the market in the next decade.

fer's profile photo
fer
07/31/2019 9:10 a.m.

@fer - Diabetes Tipo 1 desde 1.998 | FreeStyle Libre 3 | Ypsomed mylife YpsoPump + CamAPS FX | Sin complicaciones. Miembro del equipo de moderación del foro.
Co-Autor de Vivir con Diabetes: El poder de la comunidad online, parte de los ingresos se destinan a financiar el foro de diabetes y mantener la comunidad online activa.

I imagine that these encapsulated islets will end up one day.So far their main problem is that little oxygen comes to them and die.Let's see if this time is the good one.Although in the article they do not say how they intend to solve that.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
07/31/2019 10:45 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Very interesting!
Thank you

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
07/31/2019 11:43 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

An encapsulation device, implanted in the body, in 10 years that is already distributed ... it can be, but I see it soon, seeing how slow the VC-01 of Viacyte, which years ago promised that I was going to be ready in2020 ...

What will take a long time to see, is the total cure of the disease, since we must repair our immune system so that it does not attack our beta cells ... and they do not know where the air gives them on that subject, it isMOST VERD.

I am satisfied with a device like the one mentioned in the news, which for practical purposes would be a functional cure, although in reality it is a patch.What a change of life would be ...

I have followed an English blog that talks about all studies of priests and ongoing treatments of the disease, and at the end of the year summarizes the state of all relevant priests.Every year, in this summary, it puts the following hopeless phrase but the harsh reality:
"This Year there are no Phase-III Trials Aimed at Curing Type-1 Diabetes, and That's Been True for Many Years."
"This year there are no studies in phase 3 whose objective is to cure type 1 diabetes, and this has been for many years."
(Phase 3 is the last phase of a study, which is reached after demonstrating in previous phases that looks like and is not dangerous).

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
07/31/2019 11:50 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

The cure will not arrive in this century, because when you have an immune failure it not only affects the pancreas, it derives in more ailments.I have two: chronic rhinitis and then diabetes for failures of the immune system that attack me internally.And I am sure that over time some other will come out with this origin, especially in the skin.

The capsule looks good although every 8-10 years it must be renewed because the immune system destroys it.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/01/2019 11:27 a.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

And to think that the first case of this disease was already detected in 1,500 BC.And until today there is no one or I believe that there is a cure, free myself from counting carbohydrates with a smart bomb I am more than happy, just eat and forget about bowling, waiting times, hypoglycemia carbohydrates, etc., take this device at my waistAnd changing the catheter every 3-4 days is the least.

FERLE's profile photo
FERLE
08/01/2019 2:14 p.m.

DT1
MINIMED 640G
FREESTYLE LIBRE

ruthbia said:
The cure will not arrive in this century, because when you have an immune failure it not only affects the pancreas, it derives in more ailments.I have two: chronic rhinitis and then diabetes for failures of the immune system that attack me internally.And I am sure that over time some other will come out with this origin, especially in the skin.

The capsule looks good although every 8-10 years it must be renewed because the immune system destroys it.

I still chronic rhinitis since childhood, and with almost 30 the DM1 came to me.

Our immune system is not right, see enemies where there are no, and once you have an autoimmune disease the possibility of developing another one shoots.

If you start to curly how research related to this is ... it is very hopeless, they summarize no idea right now.

Artorias's profile photo
Artorias
08/02/2019 8:53 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I do not want to make all those who share chronic rhinitis suffnew.Good afternoon.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
08/03/2019 2:21 a.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

I started with rhinitis in 2010, I've been 9 years without smelling anything and there are meals that do not know anything, and in 2015 I debuted in diabetes.
Now I have noticed that if I drink a glass of wine, I produce a picture of rhinitis .... so ... only Coca Cola Zero away from home ... before I took the beer or when I enteredto a bar.I began to die and I had to go.I spend a season, but it is seen that it returns differently.

Another disease that has no cure and is not studied.At least with diabetes there are palliative, but for rhinitis nothing.I tried vaccines but since I am not allergic to anything (I have the thing inri .... I give negative in everything), they do not work for me.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
08/06/2019 2:35 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Since 1992 that I debuted I have always heard that "Tomorrow is the cure" and here we continue ... I hope to be wrong but the Max we will arrive will be an artial pancreas to which you have not even to put the food rations, you change catheter, reservoir and voila...

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
08/10/2019 8:35 a.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

Personally, I think not.And it is many years fighting with this.But the worst of all are not the injections in themselves, but the continuous and accelerated wear, which over the years causes this disease.That exchange of food intake and insulin dose, day after day, are nothing more than steps until our end.
I no longer read news about advances in diabetes, or if I read something I do not give them the credit that at first intends who throws them.There are too many years of frustrated expectations.I limit myself to observing, with a mixture of resignation and bitterness, how limitations and wear advance, while throwing us in afternoon in the afternoon, such as the chocolate of the parrot, news whose intentionality no longer dares even to comment.
The best we can expect: not to be too penalized in the economic, with the new products.But, of course, I imagine that is also asking too much.

Happy summer!

Sorprendido's profile photo
Sorprendido
08/10/2019 1:02 p.m.

Desde 1984 diabético tipo 1
Tresiba al mediodía , Apidra en las comidas.
Glicosiladas alrededor de 6,5 %
"Feliz aquel que reconoce a tiempo que sus deseos no están de acuerdo con sus posibilidades "
Goethe

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.