Measure fats in meals and calculate insulin.

Mario_S's profile photo   08/05/2019 3:35 p.m.

I have talked to my offspring on this subject and then I have been investigating a bit on this matter since so far I do not consider fat to calculate insulin:

I will not enter the topic fat and food that everyone already knows that slows, hinders and etc.And such and that ... (:))

Well, if it serves someone, we go with my conclusions:

1.- In the labels of the products we buy, where we read carbohydrates, fats are also indicated.
2.- Each gram of fat contains 9 kilocalories.
3.- A UGP (fat-protein unit) contains one hundred kilocalories.
4.- For insulin calculation purposes, a UGP is treated as a ration of carbohydrates.
5.- All this seems a bit complicated, but it is not.Let's go to a practical example:

I have found this photo on the Internet.
Let's see, says fats: 5.9 in 100 grams of food.
Suppose we will eat 200 grams of whatever that is.They would be 5.9 x 2 = 11.8 grams of fats.
We said that each gram of fat has 9 kilocalories.11.8 x 9 = 106.2 kilocalories.
And we said that a UGP has 100 kilocalories.
If we eat 200 grams of this product, we will ingest, rounding, 1 UGP.
And we already know that for a UGP we must put ourselves with insulin the same as for a ration of carbohydrates.
And now comes the fucked, we talk about diabetes, not mathematics.
They recommend that this extra insulin that we are going to put on the fat, act in 3 hours after eating.
We can program a square bolus if we use a bomb.
We can prick in 3 hours if we use Boli.
But ..... They recommend many things, and each one must discover, testing and making mistakes, what is worth it:
We can also use a dual bolus.
Or, with boli or bomb, we can schedule to act in 4 hours.
Or we can add all insulin and put it 70% and 30% square at 3 hours.Or four.or dual.
Or we can calculate: 1 UGP: 3 hours.2 UGP: 4 hours.3 UGP: 5 hours.4 UGP: 6 hours ....

Well, hopefully this serves, as I have served me so many things that I have read here.
Greetings.

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
08/05/2019 3:35 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

I personally with those calculations would have many hypos

In my case I only make fat corrections from about 30 gr (no 12 gr) and protein from about 45 gr (more than two chicken fillets, approx).

But I found the calculation of the UGP very interesting.Very interesting

Thank you

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
08/05/2019 8:24 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

jldiazdel said:
I personally with those calculations would have many hypos

In my case I only make fat corrections from about 30 gr (no 12 gr) and protein from about 45 gr (more than two chicken fillets, approx).

But I found the calculation of the UGP very interesting.Very interesting

Thanks

Hi Jldiazdel:

I think that my daughter would happen to your own to yours, which would probably have hiccup.We will be careful when trying it, I still don't.I am thinking of half a unit for each UGP to see how that is going.

For protein there is a similar calculation.1 gram of protein (also the label of the products, as seen in the photo), has 4 kilocalories, but the doctor told me that at the moment he does not consider it.I suppose that, as you indicate, only in case of excess should be considered.

Tell me, to have an idea, when you reach the levels at which you need to correct, how much insulin you do it and how long you wait after eating to click.Thanks, greetings.

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
08/06/2019 8:53 a.m.

@Mario_s

Hello, I spend a link that served me as a reference.But it is best to consult it with the doctor, as you do, and you see how your daughter reacts.No two equal diabetics!With the help of a continuous glucose monitor sensor it is easily controlled how the body is reacting to the different types of meals and what happens at 2-3 hours.And then it depends a lot on what you do after eating.If for example, you take a good walk, everything changes.

Link

In my case, 1 u.INS.I ran about 60 mg of glucose, and I usually wait about two and a half hours after a meal to make me corrections.Sometimes, at night, I had to put a small correction at 4-5 hours after dinner, but it was for dinner was in a restaurant with a clear excess of fats and proteins.I have the sensor at night in a 70-180 range, and the alarm warns.My doctor recommends that I put corrections at night but only when it is around 170-180.Sometimes, if I'm about 150 I have put only 1/2 u.insulin.But she doesn't like it.

Of course, once I put the leg for putting a correction by trusting the sensor, and not doing a blood test control.The sensor said that it was at 180 (when in reality it should be lower), I set 1 u.And then after a while I was very close to 70 and I had to take something.A disasterAnd sleep fatal.Since then, always before putting a correction, I check it in blood to make sure.Normally the Dexcom sensor has an error of +/- 20 mg but sometimes it is more.Abbott's some gave me huge mistakes.

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
08/06/2019 10:12 a.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Great, thanks.Of course, your methods and doses are only valid for you, but my question was nothing more than to have an idea.
The link article, very valid to take it into account.
I thank you for your information and your time.
Greetings,

Mario_S's profile photo
Mario_S
08/06/2019 11:55 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.