Night hypoglycemia

Foxandxss's profile photo   08/20/2019 12:36 p.m.

Hello, maybe an issue that has never been commented here: P

My partner has been diabetes for 20 years, but I have known her for 7. I have put my batteries fast (I have read many books, medical articles) and I would say "I handle me well."While it is true there are still many variables that escape, so I go to the most experts.

She used Lantus 1 year ago at night and gave her nocturnal hypos and changed her at noon.Then he went to Toujeo at noon, but in the end he is putting it at night (2-3 hours before sleeping).The toujeo is supposed to have no peak and is quite stable during the day.

When I met her, he put 30 units but the nocturnal hypoglycemia occurred, so we went down to 28 and seemed better but sometimes he rose high.Be that as it may, in the end with 28 it also gave him hypos and we ended up going down to 24 and even 22. We had a good, not much hydrates.Vegetables and perhaps a coffee later (hydrates in milk).He puts his insulin and perhaps stays in 150 (even sometimes in 200).

It doesn't matter, when bedtime, in a matter of 2 hours it can come out from 200 to 100 and in little more hypoglycemia (and all this without rapid insulin).A juice is taken, climb to 200 and when getting up it is 80 again (this with 24 slowly).With 22 it seems better, but the same is still happening, only it takes longer to give it the hypo and instead of getting up at 80, perhaps to 120.

It goes to the gym (it is new in sport, which insulin resistance can vary more abruptly) day and day, I don't know if that makes the days of gym (to which we are at 8 in the afternoon)makes the slow hit him stronger.

Or perhaps it is that the toujeo that really lasts 36 hours, putting it at night, still has 12 hours of the old one (although it works more slowly).

I try to seek explanation, but it does not seem that lowering the slow affects a lot and seems and say it seems that during the day it costs more than in range (perhaps our fault by not calculating the bowling well).

This is for me the most striking case, but almost all are like that.

We went to bed around 2 and something, I was at more than 180. At 4 he was in 8x, but at the speed that was taking a juice (1.25u I imagine that it will be the recommendation to click for those hydrates,but obviously nothing was punctured).It rose to 170, but at 11 I was already in 80 (where is the alba effect?)

Thank you very much.

Foxandxss's profile photo
Foxandxss
08/20/2019 12:36 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Everything seems to indicate that he has slow and fast insulin left over.
Have you considered the option to use insulin pump?More precise adjustments are achieved in blood glucose, which is what you are looking for.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
08/20/2019 1:33 p.m.

The problem is that what I am looking for is not what she is looking for.

He does not want a pump with a catheter, he prefers something more omnipod style, but he is not convinced yet.He wants a bomb that makes freestyle at the same time (which is yet to come, but to know when).

Foxandxss
08/20/2019 1:36 p.m.

It seems that the descents occur in the first hours and not in the last
Have you tried to put Toujeo in the morning or at noon?I would compensate for the descents with meals ..

Regina's profile photo
Regina
08/20/2019 3:38 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

It is what I want to try now Regina.At first Toujeo offers a constant insulin flow, but lasting 36 hours (although those last 12 are lazy) can overlap with the new one that is administered and giving hypos.

Foxandxss
08/20/2019 3:39 p.m.

@Foxandxss

I don't have much experience to share, but I think the gym at 8 in the afternoon (and if it is new in sport) it can affect you.

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
08/20/2019 5:20 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

Hello @foxandxss I believe that the sport he does in the gym and the poor carbohydrate dinner that you commented is the key to night hypoglycemia.I would not modify the dose of Toujeo because then throughout the day in your representative graph is high.In my opinion, I would increase the rations of carbohydrates from dinner, having medium-straight absorption foods such as bread, potatoes, milk or pasta.It would also reduce the insulin/ration ratio at dinner, that is, get less fast for dinner.
It is to try to reduce that hypoglycemia.
Another option is to change the sport schedule although I suppose this will be more complicated.Changing the Toujeo Injection time is another option but from what you say it has not worked for you.
You will be telling us if it has improved.
All the best

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/27/2019 8:50 a.m.

It is an issue that would have to look in depth, it may overPump can stop it because if slow down to avoid it, the rest of the upper day can be high.

macarron_con_diabetes's profile photo
macarron_con_diabetes
10/03/2019 7:12 p.m.

DM1 desde Julio 1992 (con 11 años).
Bomba Medtronic 780G con Novorapid.
HbA1c: 5,9% (Octubre 2022), TIR 91%

When sports is done at the last minute, it usually takes right.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
10/04/2019 7:58 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.