Doubt Glucometer

cristian_97's profile photo   09/23/2019 3:51 p.m.

Good, I'm new in the forum.I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last August.It turns out that I was on vacation and in the hospital they gave me a glucometer.The problem is that where I usually live the health center does not have such strips and for now they have told me that they have no glucometer at this time, that they would have to ask for what would take a long time for what they have told me.The problem is that I don't have too many strips.My question is as follows: Is there any way to get the glucometer without having to pay it?Putting myself in contact with someone or asking him somewhere?The glucometer would be some compatible with Freestyle Opium strips, which are the ones in the health center.
First of all thanks and apology for the inconvenience.

cristian_97's profile photo
cristian_97
09/23/2019 3:51 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Welcome to the forum, because reading you, it occurs to me that you can ask for the glucometer to your endocrine team from your hospital, find their phone and call them, describing what happens to you.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/23/2019 4:09 p.m.

diabetes_aib said:
welcome to the forum, because reading you it isBlockquote>
Good, thanks for answering.The problem is that I do not have endocrine until October 11 and it would be the first date, so I have no telephone number or anything.Because all this happened to me being on vacation in another autonomous community in August and of course, try to ask for it in the health center of my city but right now they do not have.I will have about 20 strips and there are three weeks left for the first date, so there is the problem.Wouldn't there be any other way to get it?In the Health Center they have told me that Freestyle Optium strips are given without problem, but of course I would need the glumetro to which those strips are worth.
Thank you.

cristian_97
09/23/2019 4:15 p.m.

In that case, I think you could go to a pharmacy a canal of strips compatible with your current glucometer.I do not know the price they have and will depend on the amount of strips and brand of the manufacturer.I have taken an eye on Google and the price is around 8-30 euros.So you could endure to your first date, in case your health center cannot give you or glucometer strips.
I can't think of another solution, maybe some member of the forum of a better answer, but as a last resort you have this possibility.

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
09/23/2019 4:26 p.m.

@Cristian_97, if you live near Barcelona I could give you glucometer and Accouck strips.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
09/23/2019 5:10 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

Try to ask for a glucometer compatible with the manufacturer's Opium strips (ABBOTT, 900 300 119).
They will send it to you, free of charge, to your home;And they usually do not take long, although this time it could be different.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
09/23/2019 5:53 p.m.

diabetes_aib said:
In that case, I think you could go to buy a canoe of strips compatible with your current glucometer.I do not know the price they have and will depend on the amount of strips and brand of the manufacturer.I have taken an eye on Google and the price is around 8-30 euros.So you could endure to your first date, in case your health center cannot give you or glucometer strips.
I can't think of another solution, maybe some member of the forum of a better answer, but as a last resort you have this possibility.

I have that as a last option, I have informed myself in my usual pharmacy and they have told me that the 50 -strips boat would be about € 35.But first I wanted to comment here to have given me any other solution on how to get the glumetro of the strips they have in my health center.
Thank you.

cristian_97
09/23/2019 5:54 p.m.

solar said:
@cristian_97, if you live near Barcelona I could give you glucometer and Accouck Strips.

Thank you, but it catches the truth a little, I am from the Basque Country Hahaha
Thank you very much anyway.
I have been looking online and the glucometer for the strips of my health center would be the freestyle optium neo.Could you contact the glucometer brand directly in some way and explain the problem and see if they could send me one?Or is it a bit impossible?I already tell you that I have no idea if this is possible.

cristian_97
09/23/2019 5:57 p.m.

Mamarvazq said:
Try to ask for a glucometer compatible with the manufacturer's optium strips (ABBOTT, 900 300 119).
They will send it to you, free of charge, to your home;And they usually do not take long, although this time it could be different.
Good, thanks in advance for answering.I had been looking online and I wasn't clear whether they could be asked or not.So what would be to call them and explain a little what happens to me and ask them if they can send it to me without further ado?

cristian_97
09/23/2019 6 p.m.

Yes, you have to do the same as you explain.

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
09/23/2019 6:43 p.m.

mamarvazq said:
yes, you have to do the same that you explain.

Ok, thank you very much.I'm going to call and tell you to have told me.

cristian_97
09/23/2019 6:48 p.m.

They send it to you for free.They sent me from Abbott because my center did not have.
It took 2 days.

In Madrid, they no longer give Abbott and I buy them.On the next visit my header will give me another glucometer.And there are 4 devices!

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
09/23/2019 8:09 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

You were right, this morning I called Abbott and they send me the free glycometer neo.It reaches within 2 to 4 days.Thank you very much to everyone.

cristian_97
09/24/2019 11:34 a.m.

@Cristian_97

Once that solutions of the glucometer, very important, consider using a continuous glucose monitor (MCG).

I tb recently (March 2018) and what has allowed me to make the same life that before and avoid many hypos has been the MCG.Tell your endocrine (pray, supplicate!) Who sends you one.The most normal thing is that they send you the Abbott sensor (the Dexcom sensor is much better, it is very expensive!).

I don't know how the thing with health in the Basque country will be.But try it.For a rookie it is vital for you to learn to know how your body reacts to the different types of CH, to exercise, insulin, etc.It is very useful.

In this forum you have many related issues that can be very useful.The more you read and learn better.

A very strong greeting

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
09/24/2019 1:46 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

jldiazdel said:
@cristian_97

Once that solutions of the glucometer, very important, consider using a continuous glucose monitor (MCG).

I tb recently (March 2018) and what has allowed me to make the same life that before and avoid many hypos has been the MCG.Tell your endocrine (pray, supplicate!) Who sends you one.The most normal thing is that they send you the Abbott sensor (the Dexcom sensor is much better, it is very expensive!).

I don't know how the thing with health in the Basque country will be.But try it.For a rookie it is vital for you to learn to know how your body reacts to the different types of CH, to exercise, insulin, etc.It is very useful.

In this forum you have many related issues that can be very useful.The more you read and learn better.

A very strong greeting

I have already been informing about free freestyle the problem that at least in the Basque country gives it to you if you are less than 18 or if you have at least 20% of the hypoglycemia glycemia measures (I think I remember to remember that it was 20%I'm not sure).Although I did not fulfill this, if I ask the endocrine, explaining that it is to better control the levels and that there are no peaks and others, do you think it will give it to me?Because for example something that I still do not control very well is the issue of how to vary insulin units according to exercise and others.Because I have read for the forum that depending on each person you need to find the fair insulin units dueI am not mistaken and it was something that I had no idea the truth.That is why I will try to tell the endocrine if I get it and thus start controlling a little more.
Greetings and thanks.

cristian_97
09/24/2019 4:31 p.m.

@Cristian_97
Dispense.They should give it to everyone !!And tell TB that I sign up as urgent as possible to a course of calculating portions, etc.

By the way, there is a very simple book of the Basque Health Service that I read: "They just told me that I have diabetes!"It is free (below I put the link).To start you can come well.Then you will read more advanced books / topics.Little by little

Link intensity/

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
09/24/2019 4:47 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

jldiazdel said:
@cristian_97
Dispense.They should give it to everyone !!And tell TB that I sign up as urgent as possible to a course of calculating portions, etc.

By the way, there is a very simple book of the Basque Health Service that I read: "They just told me that I have diabetes!"It is free (below I put the link).To start you can come well.Then you will read more advanced books / topics.Little by little

Link intensity/

GREETING

Thank you very much, I will tell the endocrine to have told me.Thanks for the book I will put myself with it and to inform myself.
All the best.

cristian_97
09/25/2019 6:05 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.