{'en': 'Diabetes due to pancreas removal, I present myself and some doubts.', 'es': 'Diabetes por extirpación de páncreas, me presento y algunas dudas.'} Image

Diabetes due to pancreas removal, I present myself and some doubts.

NUBIA's profile photo   12/23/2019 12:26 a.m.

Hello,

I introduce myself, and ask some questions at the end first of all thanks for being there, it is a great help for those who started being able to read this forum.

I am 53 years old and last month they operated to resect a tumor in Vater's blister (where bile ducts flow into the duodenum), for the Whipple procedure, removing the duodenum, the gallbladder, and the head of the pancreas.By complications, two days later they had to operate again to remove the rest of the pancreas and the spleen.

Thus, very summarized, I will say that I was 1 month in hospital, but I am currently at home without more complications, it only remains to recover strength and that it finishes healing the incision.I have fought for cancer hairs, but I have come full of diabetes.

I am starting then in this and I have been reading a lot, learning from everyone and above all to contemplate life from another perspective.

I have empathized with many of the people who write here since they describe how hard it is sometimes and also the strength and mood they have, they are a greataid.

I have my moments of Baba, since as much as I would like to feed myself well and not take junk food or refined or fat or sweet .., etc., this is a 180º turn regarding what I have to consider according to my eyes ...They have interrupted ... and on top, it was apprehensive to the needles jjjejje

I am pending psychology in the hospital, and that in the association of diabetics of my town they meet, after the holidays.I suppose that when the convalescence of surgery ends I can have a better mood to face this new life.
In the hospital the diabetes nurses and the endocrine have been teaching me to click, to measure before eating and 2 hours later, to inject slow and fast insulin with its accessories, now I am pointing out the fast insulin and the rations that as, butWhat I still have to expect is what I read in some messages, which is to be able to prick more fast insulin if they eat more HC.They say in the hospital that when you control this phase, we will go to the next.

I still have no idea, and in some situations I overwhelm myself because I prefer to stop eating HC, to see climbs from those who do not know how to react, other times I have no idea how to calculate the HC (for example food already preparedof my mother ... like the Manchego ratatus of which I obviously do not know the amount of each ingredient ... meals that we do not weigh at home, as a salad with several ingredients, ..).I don't know, I suppose they are common situations to the people we debut in this.
To top it off, Abbot Freestyle Opium Neo glucometer turns out that it cannot be used with Mac for reports.They told me when I called them that I had given them faults and had disabled him.I would do very well to visualize the trend, the peaks, ...

The questions that arise right now, are:

- Is there any app to point the newspaper that I have to do right now?(Meals, portions, glycemia, injected insulin, etc)
- What tips are there to face family meals on Christmas dates without much depressed?
- What menus are not the typical of meat/fish with salad?Because sometimes, to simplify the decisions of what we eat today, it is the only thing that approaches a glycemia trend within the advisable ranges.As long as I can't/know how to prick according to the HC you eat, I don't know how to vary the menu.
- What should I take into account now as essential to have the least possible problems in the future?(I say it becauseThe endocrine and nurses tell me that for many peaks that have hyperglycemia, that there is no problem, as long as it does not pass from limits, of course ... and I believe that it is not logical if I want to prevent the medium and long term).

Thanks, greetings,

NUBIA's profile photo
NUBIA
12/23/2019 12:26 a.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Learn little by little, you have time.Points everything.
At your age you can carry acceptable control without a lifetime.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/23/2019 3:55 a.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Use the "Social Diabetes" app.
FOR CHRISTMAS: Link
To know more: Link

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
12/23/2019 10:18 a.m.

Much encourage @nubia and @Mamarvazq Thank you very much for the links;)

anif's profile photo
anif
12/23/2019 11:03 a.m.

DM2 (2019)

Much encouragement @nubia and welcome to the forum.
Try not to overwhelm you, at first you have a lot of information and it is very difficult to manage, but I assure you that you will.
Greetings

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
12/23/2019 2:42 p.m.

I have been removed from my mouth: Social Diabetes without a doubt.
The amount of HC is very similar between dishes of the same type.On the Internet you can find the HC Mg of almost anything.Also on the Internet you can find the label with the composition of many prepared dishes.Down the Internet Tab's 2018 Food Guide (very visual).An app (foodmeter) is also very visual but care that there is some case that does not fit.About Menus, because when you control you can eat whatever you want.If it is your birthday and touches cake, then cake.But little or little, huh?This Christmas touches a little time before food and calculate carbohydrates and doses, and if it is necessary to recalculate and correct.
Well, forgive for the tocho.Here we will be for what you need.

Ignasi_p's profile photo
Ignasi_p
12/23/2019 5:18 p.m.

Abasaglar 25U (noche)
Novorapid 4/6/6 (y lo que caiga por enmedio)
Glicosilada (30/4/19): 6.5

Roche Food Guide (2018):
Link

mamarvazq's profile photo
mamarvazq
12/23/2019 9:10 p.m.

Thank you very much for the information and the spirits!

I would like to be in the phase of being able to eat what I wanted and click the appropriate dose, but I have not yet arrived.For now I only tell HC and point.According to the diabetes unit of my hospital, when I have well controlled this, I will turn to the next phase.

That is why I have restricted a lot on Christmas Eve and Christmas, I have taken very few HC, I have drunk water, and sweets only 2. And still, almost constant hyperglycemia.

Thanks for the resources you have indicated, they are very useful.

Happy parties and better 2020!

NUBIA's profile photo
NUBIA
12/26/2019 8:10 p.m.

Welcome Nubia, I have been three and a half years like you, without pancreas to avoid cancer.You have to be very patient because learning to live with new limitations, it's a bit hard, but you'll see how you get it.Try not to be very low of glucose such as "normal" diabetics that can afford to have enviable glycosylated, for example, in our case being very low can be dangerous because we do not have glucogen and a chopped descent we have totrample it to hair.Well that will be told the endocrine and nurses, do not try either to make meals before, go little by little, and notice support only the apps you wear a booklet points everything that happens to you, you will see that there arehydrates that rise more than youOthers, and you will learn it to little..Courage sometimes you despair but since there is no other patience in Raudales.In Esteforhaygente wonderful and that he knows a lot, you will learn and you will learn a lot but do not forget that your own experience will be your best teacher.Animoy welcome to the survivors' clan !!!!

Cristinarivera's profile photo
Cristinarivera
12/30/2019 9:07 a.m.

Pancreatectomía total el 15 de junio 2016.
Novorápid 4/5-2,5/3-0/2 de momento...
Toujeo 23 a las 18,00 (variando continuamente)
calculando raciones a ver si me toca una bomba...

Welcome @nubia!
Congratulate how you face what you have to live.It is hard but accepting it and looking at the future is the most important.

I think they are taking you very well in your unit, point what you eat, the insulin you get and the values ​​before and after eating, so your nurse can explain how to calculate the rations versus insulin.

There are several food tables, I use one of a diabetes foundation (I can't upload it with the mobile), but I end up looking for food in question online.

Your calm, is a long process and we have all overcome it without problems.Do not think that you are little advanced, you have eaten 2 sweets !!!😉 After 5 years it is the first time that as a Christmas sweet without sugar and I am so brown that I turned the package and .... It has the same hydrates as a normal one !!Above it cost me more expensive

Your question and we will try to help you.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/30/2019 3:47 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Welcome @nubia!
Congratulate how you face what you have to live.It is hard but accepting it and looking at the future is the most important.

I think they are taking you very well in your unit, point what you eat, the insulin you get and the values ​​before and after eating, so your nurse can explain how to calculate the rations versus insulin.

There are several food tables, I use one of a diabetes foundation (I can't upload it with the mobile), but I end up looking for food in question online.

Your calm, is a long process and we have all overcome it without problems.Do not think that you are little advanced, you have eaten 2 sweets !!!😉 After 5 years it is the first time that as a Christmas sweet without sugar and I am so brown that I turned the package and .... It has the same hydrates as a normal one !!Above it cost me more expensive

Your question and we will try to help you.

Ruthbia's profile photo
Ruthbia
12/30/2019 3:47 p.m.

Lada enero 2015.
Uso Toujeo y Novorapid.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.