{'en': 'Novata mother with a newly diagnosed 18 -year -old son', 'es': 'Madre novata con hijo de 18 años recién diagnosticado'} Image

Novata mother with a newly diagnosed 18 -year -old son

MSENSAN's profile photo   12/30/2019 5:24 p.m.

Hello,

My 18 -year -old son debuted a couple of months ago.

It takes it, apparently very well, but I am worried about the fact that he is studying outside, he lives in a residence and, although he goes little because he has to study a lot, when he does, he drinks alcohol.

At first it has been little, for fear I understand and to see how it reacted, but this Christmas has attended a party that lasts almost two days because there are night rounds and sings, and then meals and dinner and the first day, although he was eatingAnd taking hydrates and when he came home at 7 in the morning he was almost 190, the insulin dose of breakfast was put by indication of mine, thinking that since he was not going to wake up until 2 or 3 he would need and ...What was my surprise that at two hours, he slept, I spent the reader of the freestyle sensor and I had only 50, I woke him up and did twice the rule of 15 and we got after an hour and peak that he had 110,But now I'm afraid.

What do you have to do if you drink and are alone?

No one will know whether or not to wake up in the university residence, because they are individual rooms.

If it comes at 6 in the morning ... When should breakfast insulin wear if it normally puts it at 7.45 class days?Shouldn't we put it on?What do people do in cases so?

And another thing that as a rookie mother who will be far from him, what can happen to him if something happens to him?Does it show?Does one wake up?How can we do if no one can watch over the dream?

Please help this issue, because although he is wearing an admirable, responsible way, he is a healthy, athlete and so on ... he wants to live life like his friends and leave he will go out and drink ... I fearthat there will be one day to drink ...

Please help.

Thank you!!!

MSENSAN's profile photo
MSENSAN
12/30/2019 5:24 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

It is not necessary to have breakfast, if it reaches 190 it can be corrected with a quick or nothing, because alcohol lowers.

Regina's profile photo
Regina
12/30/2019 7:20 p.m.

Hija de 35 años , diabética desde los 5. Glico: normalmente de 6 , pero 6,7 la última ( 6,2 marcaba el Free)
Fiasp: 4- 4- 3 Toujeo: 20

Hi, @msensan:

I am not the most expert person because I have just been with DM1 for two years, although I can tell you something that also worried me: if I have a nocturnal hypoglycemia and the sensors have ended, would I wake up?Yes, I think you wake up.I begin to notice abdominal punctures and desire to vomit.First, those symptoms sneak into my dream and I have something like a nightmare, then I wake up and as soon as I turn on the light, I discover that I see blurry.I always have a natural orange juice on the table (for some time there are juice machines in all supermarkets. I buy liters and liters and step to small bottles that freezes) and glucose blisters.I take one or the other and I already wait calmly for the 15 minutes to make me a capillary test.

If I carry the MCG, it has ever happened to me that I have not heard the alarm because I have it in vibrator mode, but in any case I have woken up for the bad body that has been put me if the hypoglycemia was serious.Of course, it is important that your child did not look at the free 15 minutes after having corrected the hypo, but checks with the glucometer, because there is a mismatch of about 15-20 minutes between what happens in the blood and the value that yougives the interstitial fluid.If you look alone, the free, it may seem that you still continue with hiccups, even that it keeps going down, but no (always) is true.Depending on the time that is and what the alarm lifes me to sound like or not a couple of tuc.

Another thing is that my dream is more ethyl, one of those days when you are going to sleep cheerful-alegre, and that you have already dinner for several hours.I lie down how I go to me, I never forget that I am a diabetic.I do not even leave my head while I am drinking and I look at the mcg every two by three ... In those cases, I never put insulin when I go to sleep.And if I see that I have less than 150, I give to some sips to the juice and like a couple of tuc (for example), because I know that my liver will be metabolizing alcohol and glucose will come down.That night I put the sound of the top alarm just in case.Obviously, this is what I do and it works for me.I'm just sharing my experience.

It will also depend on what is drunk: beers, wine or stronger alcohols.Of course, if I take a copilla with a zero soda, always as nuts (if they have not put them in the bar, I carry them or a cereal bar in the Mary Poppins bag).

Perhaps it would be good for your child to carry Miaomiao and thus also have the alarms.You have a lot of info here: Link

If you say that your child is responsible, however young, he will always have his illness in mind.And of course he has to leave, have fun and do what he wants.You just have to take certain precautions.

Palomilla's profile photo
Palomilla
12/30/2019 7:38 p.m.

DM1 desde abril 2018.
Toujeo y Fiasp.
Primero, Dexcom G4, luego, FreeStyle 2 (SS), ahora, Dexcom One (SS).

Really!Thank you with a subject of which, as it should not.Thank you very much and I will inform myself about Miao Miao because one thing that gives me the anger of the freestyle is that I do not warn and only work if you pass the reader or the mobile.
And if!I already proved that the freestyle was giving me wrong data but not only for the time of the decalage but because it was on the 13th duration and in the end my son was already in 86 and it is no longer that he was lower is that he directly puts “what"I understand that" low "and put red on the mobile.
Thank you thank you please, the forums work because I have many doubts despite reading everything that goes through my hands.

MSENSAN's profile photo
MSENSAN
12/30/2019 9:35 p.m.

Do not overwhelm, your son is responsible so he will learn, we have all done it.Now there are continuous meters, but I assure you that without them it is also possible to do it well.
With 190 if you have drunk and go to bed I would not put insulin.And with the insulin now it does not have to have breakfast.
I have been 18 years and it is best to be calm, control, do things well and we know when we are low.It is true that the symptoms over time are changing, but oneself recognize them.
Each one is a world what works for others.In diabetes 2 plus 2 are not four.
Greetings.

Anaisabel's profile photo
Anaisabel
12/31/2019 3:01 p.m.

Thanks Anisabel and happy new year to all, although right now I just recapitulate and I have an important downturn.Thanks for being there, community, I'm sure you're going to help me a lot.

MSENSAN's profile photo
MSENSAN
12/31/2019 5:11 p.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.