The vaccine against tuberculosis helps to reverse type 1 diabetes

uma's profile photo   02/17/2020 9:23 a.m.

The vaccine against BCG tuberculosis can help reverse type 1 diabetes. It is the main conclusion of an investigation by the Denise Faustman group, director of the Immunology Laboratory of the Massachusetts General Hospital, from Harvard University, and expertin the study of autoimmune diseases and reactive T cells.It is a late effect but at least extends for five years.This finding can be a repositioning of a vaccine that is practically no longer used in Europe and an outstanding advance in the management of diabetes, a disease that affects almost 8% of adults and whose incidence increases every year.

Denise Faustman's group published the results of a first pilot study a few years ago in the scientific journal PLOS and recently those of a broader clinical trial have come to light with greater follow -up in NPJ Vaccines, publication of the Nature Group.Yesterday he presented his work in the Interactive Workshop of Pediatric Infectology, which every year organizes in Compostela the pediatrics service directed by Federico Martinón in the University Hospital Complex of Santiago (Chus).

Faustman has studied 200 patients diagnosed with diabetes for more than a decade, who followed a pattern of two doses instead of one, which is the usual pattern of the vaccine.In the pilot he discovered that there was an improvement of glucose levels.The results were not conclusive, but sufficiently suggestive to continue investigating.

With the second study, it was evidenced that the reason that relevant data was not left was that the follow -up was done only two years, since the most beneficial effect with respect to diabetes occurs precisely that period from vaccination."The five -year follow -up that was carried out later showed that glucose levels are normalized from the third year and are maintained up to 6 or 7 years later," says Federico Martinón, who advances the transcendence that this discovery can have: “It would beA different indication of a vaccine with more than 100 years, which is a well -known, safe and cheap product, and that could have an important impact on a disease such as diabetes, which has a great morbidity and mortality. ”

In Santiago, Denise Faustman has also presented the content of what will be another article that his group plans to publish and that refers to the mechanism by which the vaccine produces this effect.Diabetes is a metabolic autoimmune disease characterized by the organism's inability to produce insulin.Essentially, the vaccine causes an epigenetic reprogramming, modifying the methylation and metabolism of the cells.In this way, the cells of diabetic patients are reprogrammed to better metabolize sugar, there is an increase in aerobic glycolysis, reducing the need for insulin and normalizing the patient's situation.

Currently, Faustman has started another clinical trial with different diabetic groups, including patients with short evolution and children.

Heterologists
This work is in the line of research that focuses on the heterologous properties of the BCG tuberculosis vaccine.In fact, the team led in Santiago Federico Martinón showed that he avoids hospital admissions for respiratory infections and sepsis.

Another Italian group is investigating its ability to prevent multiple sclerosis outbreaks."The epigenetic effect that the vaccine has reset the immune mechanism of the individual and, on the one hand, defends him from other infections and, on the other, helps to send autoimmune problems such as diabetes," explains this expert.[[ERROR-TRANS]] Link

uma's profile photo
uma
02/17/2020 9:23 a.m.

DM1 desde 1967-
Tresiba 12 - Novorapid: 4-6-2 última Hemo: 5,9
FreeStyle Libre 2 desde noviembre 2020

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

But what do you refer to "normalize"?

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/17/2020 10:11 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

No idea, although I deduce what it means to lead to normal levels, that is, Normaglycemia. Although it is not the balm of Fierabrás, as they tell it is less complicated and cheaper than other techniques that have been studying with doubtful successes for years ... ornull.
Anyway, I don't think my eyes see it.

uma's profile photo
uma
02/17/2020 10:22 a.m.

DM1 desde 1967-

"Nunca dejes que el futuro te perturbe. Lo enfrentarás, con las mismas armas de la razón con las que hoy enfrentas el presente." Marco Aurelio.
"Un gramo de práctica vale más que una tonelada de teoría" Swami Vishnudevananda

uma said:
no idea, although I deduce what it means to normal levels, that is to say normoglycemia. Although it is not the balm of Fierabrás, as they tell it is less complicated and cheaper thanOther techniques that have been studying with doubtful successes for years ... or null.
Anyway, I don't think my eyes see.

Then they would say normoglycemia or euglicia.I have read the trial above and it seems that the cells are reprogrammed to make better use of insulin and what is achieved are much better glyd hemoglobin values ​​but they say nothing to get independence of exogenous insulin.

And they are only two injections of the tuberculosis vaccine, if it is shown that it works, you go to the pharmacy and you put them on.I do not understand here that pessimism about that your eyes will never see it.

Sherpa41's profile photo
Sherpa41
02/17/2020 10:49 a.m.

En 1922 descubrieron la insulina, en 1930 la insulina lenta. ¿Que c*** han hecho desde entonces?

Well, I don't know the conclusion, because the study seems to be in its beginnings.That is what my eyes will not see it, since if the conclusion is favorable and approve of their application, these processes take a long time, for legal issues fundamentally.52 years ago they told my mother that "shortly" Diabetes 1 would cure, that a lot was advancing and I with these hairs !!!!!
Although you never know, hopefully the study is.
A hug

uma's profile photo
uma
02/17/2020 11:17 a.m.

DM1 desde 1967-

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.