How has you affected a lot of water to your glucose (hydration / dehydration)

Jorma's profile photo   10/13/2019 12:22 p.m.

Hello everyone !

I wanted to ask you if you have observed changes in your glucose when drinking a lot of water.

Most of the newspaper articles that I have read talk a lot about the importance of drinking a lot of water if you are diabetic;But there are other articles that say it is not good because there are many minerals in the urine

Anyway, the question is: Has anyone noticed a change in your glucose when drinking a lot of water during the day?The change was positive for you?I am still drinking moderately but I wanted to see other opinions.

Thank you all for reading and commenting :)!

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
10/13/2019 12:22 p.m.
No signature configured, update it from user's profile.

Hello

Complicated and interesting topic!

I try to drink between 2 to 3 liters day.If I do spinning in the gym, I approach the 3 liters because it sudo a lot!

I would not use water to try to lower blood glucose.Although it works a bit, that I don't know the truth I do not even try.Unnecessarily overloads the kidneys.And we already have enough with diabetes to crush the kidneys.

Drink the amount of water you need according to your activity

All the best

jldiazdel's profile photo
jldiazdel
10/13/2019 12:33 p.m.

DM1 desde Marzo 2018 (53 años). 7-10 unidades basal: Abasaglar (insulina glargina). NovoRapid. Factor 1.0/1.5.
Vivo en Alemania. CarboH total dia 70-80 gr. Deporte Gym todos dias L-V 1h-2 h
HbA1c 5,5% (Abril 2022)
Dexcom G6

@Jorma, I trust my endocrine.I made that consultation and told me that I am very healthy, that if I need water, my body would let me know.What is not necessary to get blind of water.

solaria's profile photo
solaria
10/13/2019 6:54 p.m.

Debut 46 â- 2012. DM1. Celiaquía e intolerancia lactosa. Anemia perniciosa.
MiniMed 640g + SmartGuard.

Well, I drink at least 4 liters, but because the body asks me, from Monday to Friday, for work and I don't notice that it goes down more

Merchedm's profile photo
Merchedm
10/13/2019 9:23 p.m.

In theory, drinking a lot of water can lower the sugar, but let's analyze well, if it goes down 10 or 20 mg/dl for drinking 1l of water, is it something notorious for us?I would say no.
Actually, no water goes down much more. Remember;Water ≠ insulin.

DavidAG2000's profile photo
DavidAG2000
10/13/2019 10:28 p.m.

It lowers me more but it is because for now they have sent me an oral glucodiuretic, with which I drink more water and eliminate glucose through the urine ... but of course I recognize that it is not the solution

cgs's profile photo
cgs
10/14/2019 12:32 a.m.

Diagnosticada de DM en enero de 2019, con tres generaciones (yo sería la cuarta) de diabéticos tipo 1 en la familia
En principio DM2 por resistencia a la insulina asociada a SOP (sin tener en cuenta los antecedentes familiares)
De momento, solo con Forxiga y Rybelsus (7mg) por la mañana
La glucosa hace lo que le da la gana
Ultimas Hemos: 7,2 (26/12/2023); 6,7 (12/2/2023, al mes de empezar con Rybelsus 3mg)
Última hemo: 6

In theory, the sugar goes down, the amount with which I lower it, but surely what goes down is less than the error that the meter makes.The glucometer analyzes the concentration of glucose in mg/dl.This means that if we have 200, there are 200 milligrams in 1 blood deciliter.It is assumed that if we hydrate more that day, the concentration of glucose would fall, because the volume of water of the blood would be greater for the same amount of sugar.But well what really lowers sugar is insulin and physical exercise.

An interesting experiment would be to take blood sugar as soon as you get out of bed, then drink a glass of water and wait about 5-10 minutes and measure sugar again in the same puncture area, yet in those 10 minutes you can changeSugar naturally or changes for error in glucometer measurement.But if someone is encouraged to carry out the experiment that tells us how it was.
Greetings

DiabetesForo's profile photo
DiabetesForo
10/19/2019 9:20 p.m.

jldiazdel said:
hello

Complicated and interesting topic!

I try to drink between 2 to 3 liters day.If I do spinning in the gym, I approach the 3 liters because it sudo a lot!

I would not use water to try to lower blood glucose.Although it works a bit, that I don't know the truth I do not even try.Unnecessarily overloads the kidneys.And we already have enough with diabetes to crush the kidneys.

Drink the amount of water you need according to your activity

All the best

cgs said:
I lowers more but it is because for now I have sent me an oral glucodiuretic, with which I drink more water and eliminate glucose through the urine ... but fromThen I recognize that it is not the solution

davidag2000 said:
In theory drinking a lot of water can lower the sugar, but let's analyze well, if it drops 10 or 20 mg/dl for drinking 1l of water, is it something noticeable for us?I would say no.
Actually, no water goes down much more. Remember;Water ≠ insulin.

merchem said:
Well I drink at least 4 liters, but because the body asks for it, Monday through Friday, for work and I don't notice that it goes down more

solar said:
@jorma, I trust my endocrine.I made that consultation and told me that I am very healthy, that if I need water, my body would let me know.What is not necessary to get blind of water.

Thanks for the answers!
I am currently drinking enough water for high uric acid reasons, but I don't see a very large difference.I have noticed that my glucose has dropped a little more lately in the mornings.But I think I would need more time doing this to get a clear idea of ​​how much glucose can really lower my body drinking more water than usual

Anyway, I think I agree with what is written before!

Good luck with diabetes!Greetings :)

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
10/21/2019 midnight

diabetes_aib said:
in theory does lower the sugar, the amount with which I do not know it, but surely what falls is less than the own error that the meter makes.The glucometer analyzes the concentration of glucose in mg/dl.This means that if we have 200, there are 200 milligrams in 1 blood deciliter.It is assumed that if we hydrate more that day, the concentration of glucose would fall, because the volume of water of the blood would be greater for the same amount of sugar.But well what really lowers sugar is insulin and physical exercise.

An interesting experiment would be to take blood sugar as soon as you get out of bed, then drink a glass of water and wait about 5-10 minutes and measure sugar again in the same puncture area, yet in those 10 minutes you can changeSugar naturally or changes for error in glucometer measurement.But if someone is encouraged to carry out the experiment that tells us how it was.
Greetings

Thanks for the explanation!
I think there is still enough experiments and more evidence on this to get a clear and concise idea about the issue of water ... but I think I also give you the reason in your comment written in this post.Interesting above all the glucometer contribution

Anyway, thanks for taking your time answering my question and you have a good day with your diabetes: Smile:

Jorma's profile photo
Jorma
10/21/2019 12:03 a.m.

Join the Discussion!

To participate in this thread, please register or log in.